Why would anyone choose to support Jehovah’s Witnesses?

by Half banana 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever

@adjusted knowledge. Let me get this straight. Because I disagree with your opinion I must be of a poor mental state? Talk about mental gymnastics. Look I stopped going to meetings years ago. There are points here that are accurate and then there is the "mob mentality" of the few who try to impose their views on everyone. Last I checked this site was called Jehovahs-Witness not anti-Jehovahs Witness.

Yes I admit is crawling with atheist, anti JW's, gays and those bitter from past experiences. However that does not define everyones experience or viewpoint. To try or force others into your beliefs is no worse than what you decry the JW's of doing. Its a form of bullying. Im not intimidated by poor reasoning, childish antics and mob attacks. Thank you and have a nice day.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    People join the Borg because of its promise of cheating death and living with absolute health in a paradise earth. By unquestioning and following an extremely narrow way of life, such a paradise is to follow, according to the JWs
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    If I hold a diamond to the light I see the flaws. That doesn't mean it's not a diamond.

I hate, hate, HATE that illustration. Although to be honest, I hadn't given it any thought in years. It was oft-repeated during my time with the JWs.

Why do I hate it so much? Because it's rhetorical nonsense designed to distract and deflect from the real question.

For instance:

See flaws in JWdom? Well, that's just like flaws on a diamond that cannot be seen with an unaided eye. It's still a diamond.

See flaws in Chirstendom? Well, that's just like having a drop of poison in your morning tea. Certainly, you wouldn't drink it!

Manipulative, dishonest, devious horse shit designed to beat up the emotionally vulnerable and flip the argument back on them. The problem isn't the glaring flaws in the religion. The problem is with you for bringing it up in the first place.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I really tried in one occasion to make non-JW friends but it did not workout. I am a bit of a prude, you see, due to the indoctrination, so when non-JW behavior kicked in on certain joyous times, it just did not agree with my taste.

Seems like in most of the non-JW world, things like fowl language, smoking, recreational drug use, sexual loose conduct and innuendos, yelling, mock wrestling matches, gambling, excessive drinking, etc., are all viewed as okay.

NO! It is not okay with me. Actually, is very uncomfortable.

This coming Sunday we will hang at somebody's house, drop a buck in a jar for the team we support; some will even show up with the colors of their preferred team, have lots of good food, a drink or two and really enjoy a good game. Go Broncos!!! It will be loads of fun!!! 😜

The 'boring', as considered by most, JW way is just fine by me.

DY

• Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever

@neverendingjourney

I personally had never heard that illustration. I was just referencing a stone everyone is familiar with. Now I see your point but I do not agree. Both our rights.

Now as to answer your "real question". The ancient Jewish faith was flawed but they were the chosen nation. No doubt surrounding nations thought them crazy and they probably warned their young ones of pitfalls. So the comparison to Christendom could very well fit today.

So far nothing has moved me enough here to "make me an unbeliever". Thank you for your passionate effort though.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    There were times when I had nonJW friends. And my subconscious JW kicked in and people wondered what the HELL was wrong with me.
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The subconscious JW is a powerful being as indoctrination runs deeeeeeep. Neither here nor there.

Best to keep things as is in my particular case.

DY😊

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

DY, I hope this doesn't come across too harshly but that is one of the most infuriating assumptions JWs make about us mere worldlies. I've never been a JW and I like the simple, non-depraved pleasures of life too. Most people are just doing their best to make it. Not only is it judgmental, it's blatantly hypocritical. Before JWs, I thought wife swap was only a TV show. Not swingers, but so-called Christians do that in real life? I would never have thought it.

Drawing conclusions about people who outnumber you almost 100 to 1 based on your small sample is unfair and misguided. People are people whether you go. The problems with the Watchtower outweigh its virtue of making you a wholesome person, whatever that means. I understand you have your reasons for staying and that is your choice. But the world (as defined by the JWs) isn't out to get you. Although I do hope the Panthers show out on Sunday :)

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"Because, regardless of its glaring flaws, it's still the best thing going atm."

Hey...you know you are on an evil apostate site. I guess it's the best apostate site going at the moment. You may want to tell the Elders or better yet, your CO, what site you are one. Just tell em you have glaring flaws and see what they do to you. Good luck (oh dear, I'm going to hell for that one). Oh well, I have glaring flaws as well.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    makemeanunbeliever: Now as to answer your "real question". The ancient Jewish faith was flawed but they were the chosen nation. No doubt surrounding nations thought them crazy and they probably warned their young ones of pitfalls. So the comparison to Christendom could very well fit today.
    So far nothing has moved me enough here to "make me an unbeliever". Thank you for your passionate effort though.

Have you read up on the origins of Israel and Judeo religion outside of the Bible? Karen Armstrong (she's a believer) has an excellent book called A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. It's an excellent read and gives an interesting glimpse at the roots of the belief in YHWH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit