Do You Remember The First Time You Looked At "Apostate" Material?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I briefly read Gary Botting's book " The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses " back in the mid 1980's.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Orwellian-World-Jehovahs-Witnesses/dp/0802065457

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

I remember about 1998? There was a site from Canada that struck a cord with me because I always hated the idea of billions of people killed to prove a "point." It was like striking up a new friendship with someone you've known your entire life. It was addictive. I remember returning to the site and re-reading the same essays over and over again.

It was a confirmation that I was not wrong somehow. I remember I discovered it by surfing AOL, can you believe that? I've since tried to find the site again but cannot. I think that I read somewhere that the host passed on?

Anyone recall visiting that site also?

• minimus
    minimus
    Without realizing it the organization teaches you how to be sneaky
  • macys
    macys
    Yes, the first time I read apostate material was at the kingdom hall in a Watchtower article speaking about "this generation" and other apostate lies. Basically the WT is the apostate material!
  • adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    I didn't read anything related to anti JW until after I left. I went to some online forum around 1999 and there were topics about the changes to the generation teaching. I thought it was this site but I think this one started in 2001. Sites like this just helped me confirm my doubts.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

I read a book in the early eighties by a guy who would be labelled Apostate today. It was entitled, I think, "Millions now living will never die", same title as Rutherford's talk. The author if memory serves was one Alan Rogerson.

I think it was wasted on me at the time, I simply was not ready to wake up, but I think it sowed huge seeds of doubt. Thank you Mr Rogerson !

While I was waiting for the Elders to call back on me to "build my faith in 1914", a visit that never happened, I decided to go on the Dreaded Satan's Internet as it was then, in 2007, and discovered a Site run by Greg Stafford Called Elihu books.

I was so pleased to find someone who fully agreed with me about 1914, it was a relief. The very next Site on Google was this one !

At the time, this one was peopled by some pretty smart people, like Alan F, the matchless Leolaia and a good number of others. I simply could not ignore what I was reading, I read for days, old Threads from way back especially.

I walked from away for good from the "False" ( I soon learned not to call it Da Truf), in March 2008.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    its a milestone moment and no going back for many and me also, my local library stocked Alan Rogersons book also like Phizzy's but it was the only book they had at all on the WTS but I would pop backwards and forwards and sit there to read a few pages at a time, with the help of Reachout Trust they connected me to a local exjw who had a ton of exjw stuff at his house he let me take whatever I wanted, we ended up becoming very good friends , I often wondered what happened to him, also I was working all over the UK at the time and would likewise search out Christian book stores which held far more stuff on cults and sects, they were amazing days in the early 1990's in a journey through life.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I spoke to my sister in law a while ago. She is baptized but ever since she married (outside the group) and moved out of town, she has not attended a single meeting or shown any intention to go back. After I spoke with her she told me how guilty she felt reading this stuff. More than 10 years out and the damage is still there.

I wish we could just destroy this cult.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Shortly after my Dad passed away.

I came across and perused the AJWRB website.

You can probably guess why.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

ctrwtf might it have been the famous "beyond Jehovah's witnesses" website? Very prominent on the early Internet, it was notable for the very mild manner in which it pointed out that looking forward to the deaths of billions of people might indicate there's something a bit wrong with your belief system. There's a blog with that name now, but it's not the same site. ballistic says he was involved with the original "beyond" website.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/29989/thomas-edison?page=1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit