United States and Canada.

by Englishman 45 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

The only time I was ever stoped was once when I was wearing a bikini. (I didn't look then like I do now and actually did look pretty fine in it )

Lady Lee, I bet that you did look good in it! I used to look good, too.... oh well. What can we do? eh?

I don't say "aboot", or kilo-metre, or anything like that. At least I don't think I do! Weird!

American's can be very nice or very rude... depending. They are just like Canadians in a way, but tend to be on the patriotic side.... and brings out extreme arrogance in some of them. It's very aggravating.... ( I am being nice here!)

I once told an american to go back there, b/c he was bitching about the exchange rate! Geek!

Again, there are Canadians who are just as bad, so don't worry about it! THis is in no means an attack on America. I'll start another thread for that, LOL!

I haven't had any problems crossing into the u.s. ever. The border people are polite and ask the same old questions all the time... that's all. Yes, I smuggle in millions of dollars of crack in every year! (just kidding, ya know)

• mouthy
    mouthy

I go every year to PA.( Coming up Oct 17-19 Ex JWs convention) I have had no trouble so far. BUT I have had an EX Jw American tell me. He didnt think I should go to the States- since Canada did not back them in the war....I explained It was still part of Gods country & since I belong to God I can go to HIS country. Needless to say our friendship is over. Pity....

• Satanus
    Satanus

The canadian govt was willing to support the iraq war if the un sanctioned it. That wasn't enough. Both condi rice and richard perle have said to the affect that canada was out of line and had better make up for that breach. Us/canadian affairs are probably the coolest that they have been since the early sixties, when diefenbacker was prime minister.

Apparently, we are europeanish pinko bastard beavers.

SS

• voltaire
    voltaire

As a proud American I would just like to say that I thought the US was completly surrounded by ocean. What is this `border`thing you speak of?

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

LOL @ Voltaire

Oh, and Simon can do a good Canuck accent, he almost fooled me. It was hilarious!

Eman: oh yeah, between Americans and Canadians, we can tell each other apart in a heartbeat.

Now Aztec (bless her wee heart), lives pretty much right on the border in Detroit, Michigan. Even though she's within eyesight of Canuckistan, she still has that Michigan (USA) accent. But it's cute when she speaks.

There are similarities, but of course, we're both soveriegn nations, with us still having ridiculous ties to the queen (of England) and that lot, which I believe will come to an end in the not too distant future.

When I cross the border, I kid you not, as soon as I go into a store, gas station, restaurant or bar, within 30 seconds, Americans will call me on my accent, and that I'm Canuck.

Attitudes are different, generally speaking. My experience, with my beloved American friends who visit me, is that they tend to fluster over small things, whereas we (Canucks) in general, don't sweat the small stuff.

But that being said, there are many great cross border friendships. Friendships that are not broken because someone is of another citizenship, or political mindset.

This forum for example, has thus proven that. We Canucks, have many American ex-JW friends, and it's like family: sort of like cousins.

But trust me on this one: we can tell each other apart when we speak, instantaneously. Keep in mind, we don't all have all the same accents all across our respective countries either. Even myself, I have an accent slightly different than Toronto, because I grew-up in Atlantic Canada.

Similar with Australians and New Zealanders. Give yourself enough time, you can differentiate the differences.

Another way to find out the difference?

Sleep with either.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi E-Man:

American and Canadian relations on a person-to-person basis, or a business-to-business bases are about as good as they ever have been ... which is very good ... except French Canadians from Quebec, who are wanna-be Franchies ... and think they are more French than the French. The current Canadian PM is not thriolled with the USA, but her is from Quebec ... Jon Cretian ... but his equivalent of a VP is English Canadian and always comes across well on American TV interviews ...

Canadians were somewhat in agnst with Quebec a several years ago, and wanted Quebec to sign on to their new Constitution ... but Quebec decided to be its old crusty self ... and did not sign ... so a couple of the western Provinces threatened to leave the Dominion, and seek admission to the USA ...

I travel periodically to Canada, and I find that Western Canada is slightly more favorable to America than eastern Canada ... but all in all Canadians are really great blokes ... are more considerate on the roads, and always treat Americans very well ... again, except for those from Quebec, the risk is higher that they will be a little rude.

I was in a restaurant in Toronto not long ago, eating up in the CN Tower at 1400 Ft ... when I overheard a French-Canadian family talking about Americans ... I kept my mouth shut and smiled. They did not know I understand French ... and was rather shocked at some of their comments ... but that is okay ... the should hear what Hispanic Americans have to say about the French.

Canadian border crossing is about as it has always been - sort of. Canadians are very friendly and usually only ask a question or two, such as where we live, where we are going, and how long we might stay. Coming back into the USA is a problem at times ... it used to be as easy as leaving ... but since 9/11, the USA border patrol have been increased. They inspect our cars, ask questions, check out drivers licenses, ask about purchases, etc. If you are Anglo, Mexican, or anything besides Arabic, or Middle Eastern, they tend to be a little more relaxed ... but if you are wearing a typical Arabic atire, head dress, driving a van with suspecious looking crates that could contain weapons ... and you are lacking in proper paperwork ... they will bring over a contingent of military guards, and commenced with a rigorous search and harassment routine ... and I am proud of it too.

Canada is a great country ... I always feel safe there ... it is kind of like what America would have been had we not gotten into a pissing contest with the King of England. Canadians are more relaxed, tend to be hospitable, and reflect a lot more British influence than the USA does. Were Canada to ever get into trouble, such as being terrorized as the USA has been, I have no doubt that the USA would support Canada 100% ... I just wish that PM Cretian and Prez. Bush would find a way to get a little closer in political relations.

Canadian Accents: They sound like British-Lite to an American ... they say things like: House About instead of Door-to-Door ... and they say "About" in a way that sound like "A-Boot". They end every sentance with, Eh?!? ... and the word "Been" sounds like "Bean" ... otherwise they can sound like Americans ... but then again, Americans have four distinct regional accents, Northeastern (sounds snobby) ... Southern, sounds soft and relaxed with a drag on some words ... Pacific Western (Me) as a southern accent with a twang. ... and Midwestern ... hickish with a a hint of Southern-lite ... oh, and there is a fifth accent ... Chicagoen ... sounds like Al Capone mobster talk ... rough guy ... no what I mean dude? ... - Jim W.

• talesin
    talesin

First things first, I was proud that we (Canada) stuck with the UN and did not support the US invasion of Iraq. That's why we are a member of the UN and not an annex of the USofA.

I think that NAFTA did a lot to cause negative cross-border feelings. Many Canadians (at least here in the east) felt that Mulroney (our PM at the time) with his buddy-buddy relationship and sucking up to Reagan caused us to be shafted. We also had grave concerns about NAFTA and Mexico, and look how things have turned out there.

My biggest concern is for our water - what happens when big brother to the south starts running out?

Note: I'm not too good at history, but weren't we already invaded once? (War of 1812 if memory serves me correctly.)

OTOH - have had many travels in US, people there have always been super friendly and hospitable, ready to go out of their way to help travellers. I don't confuse "big business and big government" with the common folk.

As for accents, our regional accent here sounds just like Southern California. When I was visiting there for a couple months, I had many people ask me if I was FROM there since I 'had no accent'. Interesting, non? And I don't know ANYONE who says 'eh' at the end of their sentences. Not a Nova Scotian thing.

Just my 2 cents.

tal

• Beans
    Beans

I have never had problems with US customs agents as they have always been very professional and efficient with me. Wen I went over they did take my beef steaks I was going to cook at camping because of the scare, I had no problem with this as I totally inderstood.

I would definatley say that you may not like a certain american but you may not like your neighbour either. There are many americans that I have met in my journeys around the world and have been very pleasent to talk to as well.

There are definate cultural differences between countries that are great but there are many from province to province and state to state as well.

Basically we love our neighbours and they love us!

Beans

Canadian District Overbeer

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

I'm born and raised Canuck....Nova Scotian, to be more precise. I do NOT say "aboot" or "hoose" or "eh"...and I don't know anyone else who does. And "house about" Amazing? What the heck is that??!!

Seriously though, eh?

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

I'm an American, but have lived in Canada almost all of my life...

I think the problems between the US and Canada are political and don't speak to the heartfelt bond that the peoples of these two countries have. The two countries do have different ideals and they approach their decisions differently... depending on who is in Government of course...

Addressing the issue of the US being ticked at Canada for the war... Canada does hold a very strong international credibilty, and it was just that credibility that the US wanted to use to justify their actions, (I'm an American, and I love my country, but I don't condone these silly childish tactics that the Bush administration seems to be so fond of, and the US government should grow up.. it's flippin embarrassing for those of us living out of the country) Just turn the situation around... if Canada (who did, by the way, send ships, supplies and troops, lets not forget that in our rush to over generalize ) had in fact fully and without UN approval supported the action, exactly how would Canada be looking right about now? And Canadian credibility? That credibility the US courted so persistantly? Now, wouldn't that be in the toilet right about now...As an American, I feel that Canada acted very well indeed towards the US...especially it's people.... don't forget what Canada did for the US on 9/11... and after the fact... I think the Bush government would do well to remember that. (Interesting point: Britain who was up to it's neck and straining at the bit to go to war with Iraq was not so quick to judge Canada... it might behoove some of my American bretheren to think on that) America is now suffering a crisis in governmental confidence for just that action, as is the British government... but Canada still holds it's credibility...I believe that Canada has been completely exhonerated on it's position on the matter ... nuff said on that front...

As an American, I know personally how warmly affectionate and attached Canadians are to the US... Canadians love us, they don't necessarily agree with all of our politics... And I know, that Americans love Canadians too...ask any of the thousands of Americans who were offered a place in a Canadian home during 9/11...when they couldn't get home...or ask any American who was present for the huge and multiple memorials of that event... I'm sure they have no doubts.. except for maybe the Ambassador who seems to play his political game with so much finesse...but his daughter did marry recently in Canada...hmmmmm......seems he at least thoroughly enjoys the Canadian press...

As to the accents... I still have a clearly American accent, which is recognized in Canada... but my sister, who now lives in the US, speaks with a more clearly defined American North West accent... I live in a small town in Canada and this place has it's own accent... drive 20 minutes in any direction, and the accent differs... when I visit the states... people remark about how I speak... the a'boot thing... is a regional thing... not a national thing... house is still house.. but there is an emphasis in this place anyways on the "ou".... and everyone here says 'eh all the time.... apparently it comes from the french...and now is a fairly predominant feature in certain regions... but not everywhere in Canada...and now not only to the french... I think the states has the same situation... I can tell if someone is from New York, from the midwest, from Boston... Chicaugo, (which is close to where I was born) from Georgia, Texas... and Califonia... it's regional... not national...

I get to see the best and the worst of both coutries.. everyday... I love them both... I appreciate them both... and I hate what politics and rhetoric can do to people's opinions in very short order... it's really sad that more people don't disengage their mouths in favour of engaging their minds more often....

Hmmm.. had quite a bit to say about all of this... didn't mean to go on so long... but I thought it had to be said...

Just my two.. and a half...

Inq

oh, kilometres... one word... smooth as silk... house about????? We can work about the house.. but I've never heard of house about... I've heard of walk abouts... but not house abouts....lol....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit