Jehovah’s Witnesses Really Have No Power Over You Unless YOU Let It Happen!

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The purpose of this thread is to make it known that we simply are not under the jurisdiction of the elders or religion. Some may be scared to leave because they are not empowered. Elders have no hold over us. And disassociation is considered a legal option. I wouldn’t want to have them taking away any legal rights I could have simply because I chose to leave the religion...but that’s me.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Glad to hear it wasn't you Minimus.

As to legal issues, come on man, let's not act like it's legal reasons people are being shunned. It's cult reasons, and they don't need or care about legalities. In fact, courts of law have not pressured them to speak to anyone they shun in cases lost even recently. They have that right regardless of the fact that disassociation happens to also be a legal term, of which there are many. That's a poor argument against disassociation. People don't have to speak to others that they don't wish to by and large.

But hey, like you said, that's you. Now we can just extend the same to everyone and let them be them. I disagree with you completely, but hey, that's just me.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Let me ask you this mm ,if you were a baptized person and never attended meetings for 10-20 years ,how would the G.B.of Jw`s / Elders view you ? I believe they would automatically assume you have been practising wrongs that are condemned in the Bible and haul you before a JC committee if ever you walked back into a K.H.

So my position was better for me to do it to them than they do it to me .

In your scenario you cant win whatever you do ?

but at least I felt good about it .

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the Thread Min, I think it is helpful for those about to leave, or just starting a fade perhaps.

I know that when I first left I was fearful of the "power" the Elders had to DF me. And it was most helpful to me then to be shown by Posters on here that there were ways to take that power away from them, and therefore they were powerless.

• minimus
    minimus

I just resurrected a thread by a poster named JT. Please read his view on disassociation

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

So you can't argue your own points. I don't have to research someone else's view on it. I did it. I argued my points here. You're still allowed to hold your views, however narrow. That's fine.

• em1913
    em1913

Walked away thirty years ago this March. An elder tracked me down by phone three years later -- I'd moved out of the congregation territory -- and said he'd heard I was celebrating holidays. I said "I'm sorry, you must have the wrong number" and I never heard from any of them again.

I don't have any bitterness toward them -- some of the elders in my congregation were kind, decent men. One was a real dickhead, and he's the one who called, no doubt because the CO was breathing down his neck about loose ends in the file. No love lost there.

I didn't leave because of him, though, I left because it was time to leave. Simple as that. I don't know what my current status in the Org is, nor do I care. That's a chapter of my life that came to a close in 1988, just like other chapters that have come and gone. I'm not the person I was in 1988, or that I was when I started studying in 1980, and the person I am know just looks back on that time of my life as something someone else did.

• minimus
    minimus

Dub, what’s your problem ??

I gave you my view and my agreement with JT. If you don’t like it, too bad.

• minimus
    minimus

In this area, it seems that if you have been inactive for years, they pretty much leave you alone.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Minimus, you're the one that started the thread seemingly having a problem with the decisions of others. I added context and experience. You have your feelings, and I mine. It's cool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit