WT Says Demons Kill Children for Revenge!

by Funchback 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Funchback
    Funchback

9/1/1987 Watchtower, 'Spritism-Why the Growing Interest?'

Spiritism-How Viewed By God?

Asamaja Amelia, a middle-aged woman in Suriname, was 17 years old when she first became involved in divination, a form of spiritism. Since her predictions came true and inquirers benefited from her advice, she was highly esteemed in her community. (Compare Acts 16:16.) But one thing troubled her.

"The spirits that spoke through me were kind to those who sought their help," she says, "but at the same time they made my life miserable. After each sitting, I felt beaten up and could hardly move. When night fell, I hoped for some rest, but the spirits did not leave me alone. They kept disturbing me, talking to me and keeping me awake. And the things they said!" She sighs and looks down, shaking her head in aversion. "They loved to talk about sex and insisted on having relations with me. It was shocking. I was married. I did not want to be unfaithful and told them so. It did not help. Once an invisible force overpowered me, touched and squeezed my body, and even bit me. I felt wretched."

‘Spirits encouraging sexual immorality? That is farfetched!’ you may exclaim. Are those spirits really that debased?

"It’s even worse!" says Izaak, mentioned earlier. "One night we were called to help a sick woman troubled by a spirit. The leader of the group—the medium of a stronger spirit—tried to chase the spirit away. For a whole day we pleaded for his spirit’s help. We danced and played the drums, and gradually the woman improved. He ordered her spirit out, and this worked. ‘We gained the victory,’ beamed the leader. Then we sat down and relaxed."

Izaak’s gesticulating arms rest for a moment while he pauses meaningfully. Then he continues: "For a while all looked well, but then a scream broke the silence. We rushed to the house where it came from and saw the leader’s wife. She was crying hysterically. Inside the house, we found her little daughter—her head facing backward! Some force had wrung and broken her neck, killing her like a chicken—apparently, the revenge of that ousted spirit. Sickening! Those spirits are sadistic murderers.

Lasting Benefits

Today, both Izaak and Asamaja can heartily say with the psalmist Asaph: "The drawing near to God is good for me." (Psalm 73:28) Indeed, drawing near to Jehovah has brought them physical and emotional benefits. But most of all, it has given them an inner peace and a close relationship with Jehovah.

Such blessings far outweigh the pain and struggle required to shake off the yoke of spiritism. Breaking away, though, can be an ordeal. Lintina van Geenen, a woman in Suriname, had that experience. Next, we will see how she wrestled for years but finally succeeded.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaking

Off the Yoke of Spiritism

CALAMITY struck my family when I was a girl of 14. At that time, a vicious murderer began to eliminate my relatives. His first victims were my sister’s children—all nine of them. Then he turned against her husband. Shortly thereafter, he killed one of my sisters too. Four more of my brothers and sisters followed, until only my mother and I were left. Oh, was I frightened!

During the years that followed, I ate, worked, and slept in daily dread. I wondered: ‘When will he strike? And who will be next—Mother or I?’

To bind others with a spell and bring sickness and death upon their fellowman, some people used wisi, black magic, or they enlisted the help of a koenoe (pronounced koo noo), a teaser. These teasers are believed to be persons who were mistreated by a family member. After their death, they supposedly return to the family to wreak vengeance. Actually, however, these teasers are debased demons that force people to worship them.

Imagine how shocked I was to find out that enemies of our family had sent a koenoe to us. I was 14 years old when he set out on his deadly mission. Twenty-six years later, only Mother and I were left.

The

First Encounter

Mother was a hard worker. One day, while walking to her farm, she was knocked down and could not get up. The koenoe had chosen my mother. Her health weakened and she became paralyzed. She needed help—my help. But I was torn between love for her and fear of the demon that possessed her. During the attacks of the koenoe, however, poor Mother cried out in so much pain that I could not bear it any longer and laid her head in my lap for comfort. She then calmed down, but I felt "hands" squeezing my body.

When I wanted to flee, Mother cried again. So for her sake I stayed and endured my first shivering encounter with this killer. I was 40 years old.

Intensified

Attacks

Mother died. Only three days later, I heard a friendly voice saying: "Lintina, Lintina, don’t you hear me? I’m calling you." That was the beginning of a misery so great that I wished for a quick death.

First the demon troubled me only when I was going to sleep. As I was about to doze off, the voice would awaken me, talking about burial places and death. Losing sleep made me feel weak, although I continued caring for my children.

Later the demon stepped up his attacks. Several times I felt as if he were strangling me. Though I tried to run away, I could not because a heavy weight seemed to press on my body. I wanted to scream but could not produce a sound. Still, I refused to worship my attacker.

Upon recuperating after each attack, I resumed farming, growing cassava and sugarcane and selling them at the market in a small coastal town. It became easier to make a living, but my worst sufferings were ahead.

Searching

for a Cure

One day I heard the foreboding voice of the demon say, "I will make your belly swell like a ball." Some time later, there was a hard lump in my belly that grew bigger until I looked pregnant. Really frightened, I wondered: ‘Can God, the Creator, help me to get rid of the koenoe? Can He send a good and stronger spirit to chase him away?’ To find out, I went to a bonoeman, a witch doctor.

The first witch doctor gave me tapoes, or amulets, but the swelling remained. Determined to find a cure, I traveled from one bonoeman to another—all to no avail. Between those visits, I continued farming to get funds to buy the beer, wine, champagne, and loincloths to pay the witch doctors. Many times they advised: "Kneel down for the koenoe. Beg him as your master. Worship him, and he will leave you." But how could I kneel for a spirit that tortured me and wanted to kill me? I could not.

However, in desperation I did everything else that the witch doctors told me to do. One of them treated me for five months. He bathed me with herbs and pressed the juice of 11 different plants into my eyes—"to purify them," he said as I screamed from pain. But at the end of the treatment, I went home penniless, abused, and sicker than ever.

"This

Is Your End"

One of my sons, who lives in the Netherlands, sent me money to continue the search for help. So I went to a medical doctor in the capital. After an examination, he said: "I cannot help you. Go and see a bonoeman." So I tried a spirit medium of East Indian origin—but again no help. I headed home but got only as far as the capital, where I reached the house of one of my daughters. There I collapsed—broke and sick. In vain, I had spent 17 years and 15,000 guilders ($8,300, U.S.) searching for a cure. I was 57 years old.

Next, the demon threatened: "I’m finished with you. This is your end."

"But you are not God, you are not Jesus," I cried.

"Even God cannot stop me," the demon answered. "Your days are numbered."

The

Final Struggle

Some weeks passed. Meena, a neighbor lady who was a full-time minister of Jehovah’s Witnesses, asked my daughter about my condition and said: "Your mother can be helped but only with the Bible." Overhearing the conversation, I walked toward them. Before I reached them, however, I was thrown to the ground. Meena hurriedly came and said: "That demon will not leave you alone. The only one that can help you is Jehovah, no one else." Then she prayed with me to Jehovah God and began to visit me. But the more she visited me, the fiercer were the demon’s attacks. During the night, my body shook so violently that no one in the house could sleep. I stopped eating and had moments when I completely lost my mind.

My condition became so serious that my sons came from the interior to take me back to my village to die. Being too weak to travel, I refused. But feeling death approaching, I called the Witness to say farewell. Meena explained from the Bible that even if I died, there is the resurrection hope.

"Resurrection? What do you mean?"

"God can raise you to life in Paradise," she answered. A ray of hope!

But that very night the demon possessed me. In a trance, I seemed to see the koenoe followed by a crowd of people. He ridiculed: "She thinks she is going to get a resurrection." Then the crowd laughed and laughed. But then I did something I had never done before. I called: "Jehovah! Jehovah!" That is all I knew to say. And the demon left!

My sons came again and begged: "Mama, don’t die in the city. Let us take you to your village." I refused, for I wanted to learn more about Jehovah. "All right, perhaps I will still die," I told them, "but I will at least have served the Creator."

a Strong Tower

Meena and other Witnesses continued visiting me. They taught me to pray to Jehovah. Among other things, they told me about the issue between Jehovah and Satan and how the Devil brought suffering upon Job to get him to renounce God. Learning these things strengthened my conviction never to worship the demon. The Witnesses read a scripture that became dear to me: "The name of Jehovah is a strong tower. Into it the righteous runs and is given protection."—Proverbs 18:10.

Slowly my strength came back. When my son returned, I told him to wait outside. I dressed and tucked a blouse into my skirt to show that the swelling was almost gone. Then I walked outside.

"Is this Mama Lintina?" my son blurted out.

"Yes, it is—thanks to Jehovah, my God!"

Taking

My Stand

From the moment I could walk a bit, I went to the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses. There I received so much encouragement from the friends that I never stopped attending meetings. A few months later, I accompanied the Witnesses in the public preaching work. Shortly thereafter, I was baptized and became a servant of Jehovah, my loving Rescuer. I was 58 years old.

However, something remained to be done. Years earlier, back in my hut in the village, I had built an altar on which to offer sacrifices to my ancestors. To be spiritually clean, I had to destroy it. I asked Jehovah for help, since my action could cause an uproar among the villagers. When I reached my hut and opened the door, someone yelled: "Pingos!" (Wild hogs!) A herd was crossing the island and jumping into the river to swim across. Immediately, both young and old deserted the village for this easy catch. Thrilled, I knelt and thanked Jehovah for this development. Quickly, I dragged the altar outside, poured kerosene over it and set it on fire. The altar was gone before the crowd returned. Of course, they found out, but nothing could be done about it anymore. Thus, with peace of mind, I returned to the capital.

From Misery to Happiness

More blessings came my way. My son in the Netherlands did not believe the stories he had heard about me and boarded a plane for Suriname to see for himself. He was so happy to see me healthy that he bought a fine house for me in the capital, where I now live. What a change I have experienced—from a penniless slave of demons to a well-cared-for servant of Jehovah!

Eleven years after my baptism, I have even more reason to be grateful. Moved by the many blessings I received, three of my children and one son-in-law also became interested in Bible truth and eventually dedicated their lives to Jehovah God. And time and again, I have related my experience with demonism when brothers and sisters have taken me along to see their Bible students who lack the courage to break free from the demons. In that way even those dreadful years have been of some use in the Kingdom-preaching activity.

I lack sufficient words to express my gratitude to Jehovah, my God. Surely, I have seen his almighty hand in my behalf. Indeed, Jehovah has been good to me!—Compare Psalm 18:17-19.

See also http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2002/1/22a/article_01.htm
  • wednesday
    wednesday

could not help but notice that a lot of these "attacks" happened when they were about to fall asleep. Can't remember what that is called , but we have discussd it on this board several times. normal occurence.

I grew up reading things like that. no wonder i could not sleep at night.

weds

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming can account for a fair bit of this stuff. Witnesses claim to have no superstitions, yet they inhabit a world that is virtually seething with spirits - both good and bad.

I, too, was fed a diet of superstition by the organization, my parents, and the adults around me. Heck, I was afraid of demons for a long time. Most Witnesses still are.

My son, on the other hand, reads Steven King books all the time and experiences no fear at all. He finds them humorous, in places. I asked him if he ever gets scared by them. He looked at me like I was crazy. But, then, he wasn't raised with every authority figure in his life telling him that this stuff is real.

• shamus
    shamus

Yeah, whatever~! Sounds like Schitzophrenia to me!

• Funchback
    Funchback

Ever since I stopped believing the JW salespitch I haven't feared the so-called demons anymore.

This article, however, scared the crap outta me when I was reading it at the age of 17.

To scare more people, the WTS has it linked on their website under 'Young People Ask...'

• shamus
    shamus

More like "Young People and our Mind Control".

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel
    CALAMITY struck my family when I was a girl of 14. At that time, a vicious murderer began to eliminate my relatives. His first victims were my sister’s children—all nine of them. Then he turned against her husband. Shortly thereafter, he killed one of my sisters too. Four more of my brothers and sisters followed, until only my mother and I were left. Oh, was I frightened!

During the years that followed, I ate, worked, and slept in daily dread. I wondered: ‘When will he strike? And who will be next—Mother or I?’

Quite odd. Although the "story" blames the "enemies of the family" for sending the "demon" I wouldn't completely discount the possibility that the mother or Lintina herself were responsible for the murders. You'll please excuse me for reading between the lines of this story. She's been baptized for at least 11 years now, admits to health problems that have not gone completely away, admits to having gone out of her mind. ("I stopped eating and had moments when I completely lost my mind.") And now that she's been stable for a few years, and is about 70 years old the Wt felt safe including her story. I bet the Wt wouldn't have risked printing this story only a couple years after her baptism. (or until the claims had "aged" a bit.)

I'm not ridiculing the story, but I guess I should explain my biases for any who still believe in such things. I'm sure there have been plenty of better theories about demons, but before I go researching it, here's mine: (probably re-stating the obvious)

I realize that in some countries even adults are still expected to see demons, but in the US and in countries where Science and Reason supposedly reign over superstitious religions, girls of 14 still seem to be the commonest victims of seeing and/or hearing "demons." When I was becoming a teenager In Missouri, even in our congregation, belief in ghosts and demons was very prevalent, and the teenage girls always had stories that began when they were about age 12 or 13. (Only a very few sisters could continue seeing or hearing after their teenage years, and by then many had dismissed it as due to their mental state when they were younger.) Even now, all over the USA, the biggest buyers of the "Fear Street" series of books (child-oriented "horror" stories) have always been girls within a year of their first menstruation. Some of the most successful scary movies like Exorcist and Poltergeist obviously play on the fact that teenage girls are the most likely objects of demon interest. The entire Horror movie genre plays strongly on the idea that teenage girls are more vulnerable to demons and teenage boys will ostensibly play a role as protectors of these girls, in spite of their own fears. This plays out both in the paying audience and on the screen.

The relationship between the hormones of sexuality and demons must be obvious. Encounters with "demons", I suspect, are the psychological catalysts of hormonal chemistry, unresolved mixture of fear, guilt, loathing, pleasure and pressure of sexuality, and, of course, violence-evoking images and associations of menses. Females and their male demons are at the core of the Salem witch hunts, the Nephilim stories of Genesis, the phallic imagery of riding broomsticks, probably even Paul's comments about why sisters should cover their heads on account of the angels. It's definitely true of the story of Lintina too. (Notice, btw, how she's been having several children of her own who have grown up [and survived?!?!] during these last 26 years, but with no distracting talk of a husband.)

I was 14 years old when he set out on his deadly mission. Twenty-six years later, only Mother and I were left.

...and her own kids were also left, she forgets to mention. This girl, in a country that accepts demons as more natural than supernatural -- and beginning at an age when demons might have been most apt to strike HER, completely dissociates herself from fear of this demon from age 14 through 40. ("When I wanted to flee, Mother cried again. So for her sake I stayed and endured my first shivering encounter with this killer. I was 40 years old.") When her mother finally dies (at least age 58 based on number of kids) she now admits/begins her own struggles with this demon and finally frees herself at age 58.

First the demon troubled me only when I was going to sleep. As I was about to doze off, the voice would awaken me, talking about burial places and death. Losing sleep made me feel weak, although I continued caring for my children. Later the demon stepped up his attacks. Several times I felt as if he were strangling me. Though I tried to run away, I could not because a heavy weight seemed to press on my body. I wanted to scream but could not produce a sound.

How many of those vicious murders in the family (starting when she was 14) were from strangling and suffocation at night, I wonder? How long before such a string of suspicious murders would bring the attention of law enforcement in other countries?

Upon recuperating after each attack, I resumed farming, growing cassava and sugarcane and selling them at the market in a small coastal town. It became easier to make a living, but my worst sufferings were ahead.

Don't miss the financial subplot. It appears several times. (Her mother's hard work, her own hard work, her need to care for her own children, the $8,000 in payments to the witch doctors, and of course the "piece de resistance"...

My son in the Netherlands did not believe the stories he had heard about me and boarded a plane for Suriname to see for himself. He was so happy to see me healthy that he bought a fine house for me in the capital, where I now live. What a change I have experienced—from a penniless slave of demons to a well-cared-for servant of Jehovah!

I think it's just another ironic case of appreciating how well Jehovah is caring for her because an unbelieving relative is footing the bill. This was the same son, obviously, about whom she had written:

One of my sons, who lives in the Netherlands, sent me money to continue the search for help. So I went to a medical doctor in the capital.

So the son who moved to the Netherlands realizes that there are sometimes "chemical" reasons people act crazy. (Hard to miss this fact in Amsterdam.) So he tries to get her to see a medical doctor rather than witch doctors.

But then I did something I had never done before. I called: "Jehovah! Jehovah!" That is all I knew to say. And the demon left!

Oh, yes! I almost forgot about the old JW incantation for do-it-yourself exorcisms.

Slowly my strength came back. When my son returned, I told him to wait outside. I dressed and tucked a blouse into my skirt to show that the swelling was almost gone. Then I walked outside. From the moment I could walk a bit...

Why no sudden, complete cures as with Jesus' exorcisms? And how scientific is this proof of reduced swelling? Was it the same size skirt, same size blouse by which she measured the swelling before. What are her eating habits now? Does she have massive fibroid cysts? Could she have miscarried at age 40?

When I reached my hut and opened the door, someone yelled: "Pingos!" (Wild hogs!) A herd was crossing the island and jumping into the river to swim across.

Sounds suspiciously like the ending to another demon story in the Gospels. Pigs in a river...I say: HOGWASH!

Eleven years after my baptism, I have even more reason to be grateful. Moved by the many blessings I received, three of my children and one son-in-law also became interested in Bible truth and eventually dedicated their lives to Jehovah God.

So she's happily rearranged her superstions and even brought a couple of her own kids into her new superstitions. Fortunately, that old demon who was once out to get every relative, even the kids, doesn't care about her or her kids any more after that time she said "Jehovah, Jehovah."

There's an eerie irony in the fact that this demon spent 26 years killing everyone in her family except for her and her kids. Another 17 years attacking just her. But once she became a JW, the demon didn't care any more about her or her kids. It's as if the demon said... OK, I would've killed all of them, but at least I got them into theocratic hell (aka "spiritual paradise") for the rest of their lives...I guess my work is done here.

Gamaliel

• Funchback
    Funchback

Gamaliel,

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate how you broke-down the story.

badwillie did a search on the WEB of the names mentioned in the article but, SURPRISE! SURPRISE!, there is nothing to be found.

You'd think that a story THAT amazing would have received SOME sort of media/internet exposure.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I also could recite stories told me about demon "attacks" that proved to be hysteria fed by paranoia. The WT does not investigate the stories beyond asking a local elder or CO if they heard it. I know first hand that ridiculous or exagerated fictions get used in the magazines and in parts by traveling speakers when the story has potential for impact. It was in fact one such story that first began my wife's doubting the WT as a reliable source of information.

• VM44
    VM44

OK, Have these "stories" been verified?

If any of these "events" actually happened, it is a BIG assumption that "evil spirits" were responsible.

The Watchtower is guilty of promoting Superstition!

These Anecdotal stories are worthless! They prove nothing!

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit