Confused: What does the overlapping generation really mean?

by MicaSmith 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Great answers here. Now, my take- Watchtower has too many older members who clearly remember that they were heavily promised that the "generation" would not all entirely die until the end arrived.

Watchtower is a Doomsday Cult. Doomsday Cults need a time reference in order to recruit/retain. Watchtower has nearly given up on recruitment and focuses on retaining members. They tried abandoning the attachment of their "generation" to 1914 with their 1995 doctrine that the generation was "wicked people of the time of the end" without any real dates/chronology attached. It hurt retainment, so they went back to date-setting attached to 1914.

Eventually, the calendar will force them to abandon this entirely, but not just yet. All the current Governing Body members will be dead by the time that happens, so they just won't sweat or lose sleep over the problem down the road.

• out4good4
    out4good4
    The overlapping generation doctrine means that since 1995 the WTBTS has been making up shit as they go along.

They've been making shit up as they go along well before 1995.

• molybdenum
  • prologos
    prologos

Here is my son's take on the generation, like the endless surface of a Moebius strip, when stripped of all the rhetoric .

• sherrie11
    sherrie11
    What Scriptures do they use to back up overlapping generation and how are they in context with the entire chapter of the bible they pull it from?
  • Alive!
    Alive!
    TheOldHippie4 days ago
    So when you say that "I feel foolish having been a part of this organization. Who came up with this overlapping theory? It's surreal!" - do you really want to have an answer, or do you only want to get support for the idea of yours that it is foolish and surreal?

I'm just thinking here - could you explain it please, using scripture based back up?
    Even if you think 'it's not worth it, they will only tear it down' just place your explantation in this thread for someone who may need to hear it.....who knows who will read it and accept it?

Sadly, I'm done - I prayed each time I accepted new truth in this matter - thanking God for the the new light.....but he certainly didn't supply the old truths, it's just not possible, it's impossible for him to lie.
    So.....who did inspire the 'old truths' ?
    It wasn't just a concept for discussion - it was a taught 'truth'by the self named 'Guardians Of Doctrine'...whatever truth it happened to be.....do I trust the Lord or men?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Alive! - In my experience Old Hippie comments on a thread then doesn't come back. A hit and run job. Not sure if OH is a JW, JW sympathiser or just has a wry sense of humour. I'd be surprised if you get a reply.
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Or as the old expression goes; "If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullsh*t".

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit