Can someone compare the midweek meeting now to what it was say in the 60`s - 80`s ?

by smiddy3 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

It's not just with the rank and file.

The GB hasn't had a real purveyor of WT theology since Fred Franz.

• millie210
    millie210

In the very early 60's the Written Review was a fearsome thing,

Several pages of questions and pencils were handed out. Then dead silence (I mean dead) while you looked at the small print and hard questions. When you were done you handed in your test to be graded. You had to give back the pencil too.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

At least back in the day, Dubs had to perform mental exercise to flip through various volumes and check footnotes and references in order to defend their beliefs.

Those days are gone.

Not only are they spoon-fed the spiritual equivalent of celery which may take more calories to ingest that it provides, but they are actively discouraged from defending their beliefs. Is it any wonder they are getting dumber??

DD

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Slidin Fast:

I agree with everything as that's my situation too. I just have to add that creativity in talks can still be possible, (it probably differs by area). I've been counciled once or twice, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the sheer amount of reverse witnessing I've been able to get away with over the last 4 years.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Same old bullsh*t only in digital form!

just saying!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

neat blue, you are right, there is still opportunity on occasion. One problem is that there are very few talks now, especially for a none "appointed man" like me.

I get an occasional bible reading, not much room for creativity there although come to think I've had some fun with pausing and emphasis. Other than that there are sometimes presentations, 2 or 3 minutes. I always do those extemporaneously, unrehearsed. I've had some fun with those also. It frightens the householder to death. The cong loves it. They like a bit of entertainment.

• geevee
    geevee

All you need is for the answers to already be highlighted in the material!

They have gotten very slack and lazy... but still fed bullsh*t each and every time!

• waton
    waton

This week's meeting had 1 text demonstrated 4 times used in the h2h work, twice in video, twice live.

It used to be 4 texts at one door, now it is 1 text over and over again in the training session, of the pavlov dogs sheep.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I totally forgot about the Written Review. That thing was harder than a tests I took in high school. I could only imagine springing one of those on Witnesses who have only been in since the dumbing down of the religion has taken place.

"No, brothers. 'Go to JW.Org' is not the correct answer to this question. Not any of them. Stop writing that for all your answers."

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

In days passed, we could give our own comments based on what we studied -- today, The direction is passed that a reply to the lessons have to come out of the paragraph, so people are reading the same sentences, that the reader has just completed. So boring!! To venture too far from the point they asked in the question is really not supposed to be done, although some do and it is refreshing to hear it.

They ask everyone to do research, but really dont want you to answer using that research. Mostly now, its read a scripture or parrot an answer. Of course, they society does not answer questions anymore with QTR... they feel they have touched on every subject they say and now make up their own questions to have an answer for-- and we are to go to elders to get answers. Well I have and am still waiting for clarification on several issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit