Fishing and JW's???

by lurkernomore 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

My father-in-law, a staunch elder, loved to go fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. He would go every Monday for as long as he was able. He named his boat "Field Service" so if anyone asked where he was, he would answer, "I was out in field service". Although everyone in the hall knew he loved to fish as he often would use fishing illustrations in his talks.

Reopened Mind

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Lurkernomore Hi, I think it was me who mentioned fishing. I grew up in the home counties ( UK) . In the late 70' s I was told you could not fish for sport as a JW. In fact we had a couple around for dinner and I distinctly remember being told that they " could give up LSD for "the truth" but not fishing!" ( ie it was more troublesome to give up). This from my uber dub spiritual pioneer mother.

She was an avid reader of dub literature so do a search on JW.org...I would put money on her being correct.

On the other hand I was also told that smurfs had talked, the heart was the seat of emotion , aluminium pans were dangerous and chewing gum should not be eaten....

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

Hey Diog yes it was your comment where I picked up on this nonsense. I was really surprised by this. The elders in our hall who fly fish have been doing so for a good 20 years so would have expected there to be some talk about this at some point.

Your comment was the first I ever heard of this.

I was also told the surf story but never really believed it. Saying that I always had nightmares about demons in my room and nights where I couldn't even go to sleep for fear of them when I was a child. This cult really messes with people doesn't it!!!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Nevertheless, the Bible says that God “hates anyone who loves violence.” (Psalm 11:5) So it stands to reason that God does not want us to harm or kill animals merely for pleasure or for sport.

Awake April 2015

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

*** w07 12/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Questions From ReadersHow should a Christian view hunting and fishing?The Bible does not condemn hunting or fishing. (Deuteronomy 14:4, 5, 9, 20; Matthew 17:27; John 21:6) Still, Christians who hunt or fish need to consider several Scriptural principles. God permitted Noah and his descendants to kill and eat animals, provided they bled the animals before eating them. (Genesis 9:3, 4) This directive emphasized that animal life should be respected as having originated with God. Thus, Christians do not kill animals merely for sport or for fun and with wanton disregard for life.—Proverbs 12:10.

There is an additional aspect involving our attitude. The apostles who were fishermen were likely gratified by a good catch. Yet, there is no indication that they bragged about their prowess at fishing or hunting or that they went fishing or hunting to compete with others, to prove their manhood, or to have the thrill of the chase, the fight, or the kill.—Psalm 11:5; Galatians 5:26.

[Except for Samson and the Lion and killing Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey :) ]

Thus, we might ask ourselves: ‘Am I an example in showing respect for Jehovah’s view of life? Does hunting or fishing dominate my thinking and conversation? Does my way of life reflect the hunting culture, or does it show that I am a minister of God? Does hunting or fishing put me in close association with unbelievers or cause me to neglect my family?’—Luke 6:45.

Some who hunt or fish for food may feel justified in putting aside spiritual matters during hunting and fishing seasons. However, we show faith and trust in God when we do not let anything take priority over his interests. (Matthew 6:33) Furthermore, Christians obey all of “Caesar’s” laws regarding hunting and fishing, whether the authorities enforce them or not.—Matthew 22:21; Romans 13:1.

To conform to Jehovah’s view of hunting and fishing, some may need to adjust their thinking with regard to his standards. (Ephesians 4:22-24) On the other hand, we need to respect the conscientious decisions of others. Appropriate in this case is the apostle Paul’s counsel: “Let us not be judging one another any longer, but rather make this your decision, not to put before a brother a stumbling block.” (Romans 14:13) Showing such unselfish love and respect makes for peace in the congregation and pleases our Maker, the Source of all life.—1 Corinthians 8:13

.[Footnote]See also “Questions From Readers” in the May 15, 1990, issue of The Watchtower.

---

So just eat what you kill, or give it to someone who will, oh and don't brag.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Fishing, like all other so-called 'blood sports' was a big no-no where I was in the UK.

And fishing for food was frowned on because in the UK, it wasn't needed - there being plenty of fresh or frozen food to buy.

I even had a brother tell me that we shouldn't try eating new or exotic meats like kangeroo, ostrich, etc. According to this guy, the only meats that we should be eating are chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc because they are mass produced. No need to eat any other types!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I know of congos who effectively banned chess (arguably, a sport) for similar reasons.

My loyal JW (and former elder) Dad - nontheless - always thought that was stupid.

(Needless to say, he was an excellent player - I could beat him, but it wasn't easy.)

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

hunting is a highly emotive issue in the UK. especially fox hunting.

personally--the idea killing an animal just for the "fun" of it---is appalling.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

chess (arguably, a sport)

yes--chess is the only sport i enjoy.

purely as a spectator--of course.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    Yeah that has to be BS. I've been all over this country and have never come across a congregation that outlawed fishing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit