Why is the Watchtower omitting even more scriptures from their bible?

by Tameria2001 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I was searching for something online when I came across something that perked my interest. I left the JWs back in 2001, and have recently discovered that in 2013 they released a new edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. But something I have also discovered it that they have omitted even more scriptures than what was in the 1984 edition as if that was bad enough. When I went to the official JW site they said they did this because, and I'm quoting their words;

These verses actually do not belong in the Bible even though many older translations included them.

This is for example of one of the scriptures I have noticed they have completely omitted from their bible. This one is taken from Mark 16:9-20

That seems to be an awful lot that has been removed, and these are not the only changes. What are they really trying to hide?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

These verses are not included in any of the oldest, most respected manuscripts and are considered to be spurious by many experts (not just JWs).

Like most JWs, it doesn’t sound like you really know too much about the Bible itself. As JWs, WT Literature overshadowed the Bible and the GB did our studying & research for us and told us what to believe.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I never said that I know too much about the bible, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that things are being removed.

• Giordano
    Giordano

If they have to remove scriptures that are now deemed questionable my first conclusion is that they are not qualified to have their own bible translation.

The First New World Translation, an oxymoron, as the five brothers who did the heavy lifting on their version of the bible had a grand total of two years of college between them.

They had one fake scholar...... Franz and the rest were far more involved with their printing presses, and making sure obedience out ranked faith and bible knowledge.

The Watchtower started as a delusion and has forever remained a dangerous life taking......... delusion.

• sir82
    sir82

I never said that I know too much about the bible, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that things are being removed.

The NWT is not the only translation to exclude the "missing" verses from Mark 16 and John 8.

Nothing has been "removed", it was an editorial decision that the NWT editors, and the editors of other translations, made.

That said, personally, I preferred the way they did it in the older NWT translations - include the (possibly) spurious verses by setting them in different typeface with an explanatory note.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The real question is, " who the hell decided on which 66 or so ancient works of fiction, myth, imagination, and plain old bias should be included in the bible to begin with?"

So what is included and what is left out of the bible is of no real significance!

Really, just a bunch of self appointed 'experts' gathered together and made random decisions based on what? The end product was the bible! Hebrew mythology written by Jews for Jews! IMHO!

just saying!

• MightyV8
    MightyV8

the witnesses love to cherry pick

So you have too take bits out that make common sense

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

This very much Proves that the Bible is not God’s word. Nothing else either.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I can't actually make out the text on the page scan, but I'm guessing it's the one about Jesus saving the prostitute from the lynch mob...?

If it is, that was actually taken out a while back.

When I'm in a cynical mood, I'm tempted to suspect that the GB used the "spurious" label as an excuse to drop that bit because deep down, they kinda like the idea of "throwing the first stone".

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

So the Bible was god inspired and written by ancient Middle east men, then compiled by Romans where several books were excluded and others included - after a long debate - and then hand copied and sparsely distributed and when the Printing press came, printed and then translated into numerous versions, each version claiming itself to be authentic and now many verses removed, which had been taken very serious all these centuries.

Wow god’s Grand plan to save mankind is awesome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit