One aspect of the Bible I still greatly benefit from

by Ireneus 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• unsure
    unsure

@Cofty

Well said.

When I first started posting here after leaving the JWs, I was still hungry for the belief in God. This is evidenced by some of the topics started in my posting history. Even then I acknowledged that there was no objective, verifiable proof and that it was just faith.

Intellectual honesty has further led me to agnosticism and some days atheism.

• cofty
    cofty

I think theists find it comforting to dismiss atheists are just victims of a damaging cult.

It saves them having to deal with the issues.

• Order
    Order

Cofty, intellectual honesty leads to Strong Agnosticism, not Atheism. https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gLKSgZhd_Y4/WGGsPGm81YI/AAAAAAAACDA/EIAp15z2IsccnrpiK5Apfra_NiPW5T5WACLcB/s1600/atheist%2Bscale.png

Contrary to Atheist propaganda being spread, Agnosticism and Atheism are very different.
    Many agnostics I know IRL are quick to seperate themselves, and they even have their own seperate agnostic sites and memes:

https://agnostichumor.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/agnostic-truth-fb.jpg?w=523

• Ireneus
    Ireneus
    amiable atheist said: Your cherry picking exercise gets a "cute" for naïveté

Interestingly, Bible itself asks us to 'cherry pick' (1 Thess 5:21) because Bible contains more of foreign bodies than truth. (Act 20:29; Mathew 13:24:30)

Even if my conclusion is based on some story, acceptance helps me as it makes my life relaxed. In acceptance, you don’t resist, hence saves lots of energy. Contrast this with expectation and its attendant worries. Worrying about what might happen (future), when the moment has not yet come for it to happen, takes away from us the necessary energy to deal with it when it finally arrives. Living in memories drains our energy; the past already happened and no longer exists, except in our memory. We feed memories, not realizing that emerging the memory in our mind distracts us from the present and weakens us. We lose our energy when we relive an experience that already happened, and in the end we feel disappointed, feeling a mental and emotional waste.

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty, intellectual honesty leads to Strong Agnosticism, not Atheism - Order

I disagree. An 'agnostic' is just somebody who is confused about what the question is.

• steve2
    steve2

The Anti-Theism in this topic is jaw dropping.

Only if you've got your head in the sand. What is truly "jaw-dropping" is belief in a god who prevails out of sheer fear about what will happen if you don't believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit