More on Punctuation

by compound complex 102 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• compound complex
    compound complex

JD Souther ... is most widely known for his part in writing somber, elegiac songs that the Eagles and Linda Ronstadt made famous, such as "New Kid in Town," Heartache Tonight," and "Faithless Love." THE NEW YORKER, FEBRUARY 13 & 20, 2012, TROUBADOUR, page 36.

"I've never made a record in New York, start to finish," he went on. "But I'd love to. [...]" [ibid.]

• compound complex
    compound complex

Conservatives believe as a matter of certainty that if you cut taxes, "good times will follow," said David Leonhardt.

THE WEEK, September 28, 2012, page 10: "Tax cuts don't produce growth," by David Leonhardt, The New York Times.

• compound complex
    compound complex

When writing, we frequently introduce information that supplements or describes the things we're discussing. Sometimes that information is essential in that it defines the thing, place, person mentioned in the sentence; it is restrictive and such clauses (underlined) are not set off by commas:

The people sitting in the rear of the auditorium could not hear the speaker.

People who live in stone houses should throw glass.

On the other hand, some information merely adds to the discussion. You set off these parenthetical, non-restrictive comments (clause or phrase) with commas:

My mother, who was born in Hayward, California, was an expert homemaker.

The dark forest, staple of many a scary tale, was inhabited by fairies and brownies and wood nymphs.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

Is this a test? I think the top post should have the song names in '......' apostrophes and not quotation marks.

If not, and I'm a dumbass, then blame the WT.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, oldlight, for your post. No, this is not a test.

I'm reading a book by a British author, and he uses single quotation marks in that instance. Are you from across the pond? I'm in the USA, where, as quoted directly from THE NEW YORKER, we use doubles.

Thanks again!

CoCo

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

Yup. Guilty, Your Hono(u)r!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I'm a citizens against grammar and punctuation fan

freedom to roam with reckless abandon carelessly kicking down punctuation fences running wildly without let-up ah freedom to express oneself in whatever manner one chooses

i was born this way

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good hearing from you again, oldlight! Other points of view, corrections, personal experiences with colons and semicolons are welcome!

Well, Nancy, you are a class act unto yourself, and your methods make your prose the charm it is! We wouldn't have it any other way. I love your work so much that I simply do not cringe when you deliberately kick down those fences. I laff!

Miss Stein, likewise ...

As to me and my manner, I just can't help myself. ???

!!!

CoCo du crayon rouge

• compound complex
    compound complex

An independent clause expresses a complete thought:

I enjoy swimming.

My sister spends all her money at the mall.

A dependent clause has a subject and a verb but is not complete by itself:

when the weather is warm

but complains that she is always broke

Putting the pieces together ...

I enjoy swimming when the weather is warm.

When the weather is warm, I enjoy swimming.

My sister spends all her money at the mall, but complains that she is always broke.

• compound complex
    compound complex

"This outrageous and unjustified verdict should be reversed and rendered," it read in closing. In other words, throw it out forever.

THE APPEAL, John Grisham, page 249.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit