Hearts going out to those in the Fort Mac area

by Dagney 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

It's amazing so many people (80k+) have been able to evacuate in such an orderly way despite what must be some incredibly scary situations - the images on the news are incredible. Lots of tales of people helping, turning up to give stranded people gas and food etc...

I visited Fort McMurray when I was about 10 or 11 and it was an amazing place. I remember standing looking up at the trees that seemed to go on forever. I'm sure it's grown a lot since then but looks like it's still nestled in the middle of very tall trees and coupled with recent record-hot weather and wind it's a disaster.

Our thoughts are with everyone affected.

• smiddy
    smiddy

We here in Australia know only too well the destruction and loss of life that happens in Bushfires ,my thoughts and well wishes go out to people living in proximity to these fires and hope all come through safe and sound.

smiddy

• prologos
    prologos
    I hope nobody has suffered burns, was asphyxiated. Is not the Fort an oil town? with crude worldwide in a fire sale, a double whammy, an internal Canadian refugee crisis, Charity starts at home.
  • SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    OMG, just saw footage of the disaster on my local Cleveland Ohio news. So frightening, but sounds like people are pulling together to help each other out in an orderly manner. My heart and thoughts go out to all in the area.
  • Simon
  • Dagney
    Dagney
    Wow.
  • talesin
    talesin

I hope T is okay and her family - are you in touch with her, Dagney? I have not been on facebook for a long while, so wondering about that!

It's a scary sitch, with only one road out of town, people having no gas. I haven't checked the news yet today. We got news yesterday, that friends lost their home and dog. I can't bear to think of the pets .... :' (

I hope all escaped the town, and feel bad for those people. There's no housing there already, with people sleeping on floors and such. Hopefully, the oil companies will provide some temporary shelters for the summer!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Hey tal, T lost everything. There is a group that is looking for pets and she posted today there was a rescued dog of a neighbor, so there is some hope. A FB page is set up to help in locating pets etc.

• talesin
    talesin

Oh, No! Thanks for letting me know. :' (

She was so kind to me when I first injured my foot, pls let her know my heart is with her, I know there's nothing I can do, maybe send a note to the US addy. .  

• Dagney
    Dagney

She is a doll. I haven't messaged her privately since I figured she must be inundated and overwhelmed.

I will convey your message though when I do. xxx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit