Former Elder, Pioneer and WT Writer Earns 9 Science Degrees - Jerry Bergman, Ph.D., BiologyJerry Bergman, Ph.D., Biology

by Sea Breeze 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vienne
    vienne

S.B,

He has a history, noted by a court of law, of exaggerating and faking credentials. His list of academic and professional societies is questionable on the basis of membership requirements. You could 'join' many of them by simply paying a membership fee. Even when these societies are worthwhile in themselves, being a member does not grant any status unless membership [or fellowship] is based on a superior body of work. His memberships are not of that quality.

I understand he is your hero. He isn't mine, and I do not understand why he is yours. To the extent he pursued worthwhile education, good on him. But faking a credential, as a court of law said he did, is ethically flawed and leaves a permanent cloud over everything else he writes or claims.

Read the rest of the Columbia Pacific University wikedpedia article. Trace its decent into nonsense. Pointing to someone else's accomplishments does not validate Bergman. That's a logic flaw.

I can verify that Bergman has a BA or at least claimed a BA from Wayne State. Anything more? I'd like to see his transcripts. He claims a Fellowship from the 'prestigious" American Scientific Affiliation. This is a creationist society. Find another science based association - main stream not fringe - that sees them as prestigious in any way. S. B., your idol has clay feet.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

So are you Vienne's' daughter or Uncle? Just curios, because I remember when Vienne passed away.

So, do you have any documentation that Dr. Bergman is a fraud? Can you provide some sort of reference or link to evidence?

He has taught biology Northwest State College in Archbold OH for over 25 years. He is a graduate of Medical College of Ohio, Wayne State University in Detroit, The University of Toledo, and Bowling Green State University.

If he is a fraud, we need to let these institutions know. Don't you agree?

• vienne
    vienne

My uncle would faint if I suggested he posted here. He has his own history blog. I'm Annie, Dr. de Vienne's youngest daughter. In it's fullness my name is Anastasia Marie. Everyone just calls me Annie. I'm a year away from my BA - History, and planning my master's thesis.

His court case: http://jehovah.to/gen/freedom/bergman.htm

Uncle's history blog: https://truthhistory.blogspot.com/

Might contrast Uncle B with Bergman. B is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society. Unlike the societies and 'clubs' to which Bergman claims membership, one becomes a Fellow of the Royal Society based on education and a body of superior work.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Annie,

You do realize that your link was about Dr. Bergman suing Bowling Green University for discrimination because they denied him tenure because he became a Christian, right? Your link was about the University defending themself, not attacking Dr. Bergman's credentials.

There is nothing in your link but a vague undocumented reference to Dr. Bergman referring to himself as a psychologist by one of his opponents on the faculty. No documentation at all. You do realize how Christians are trashed in Universities these days right?

https://www.christianheadlines.com/blog/unc-wilmington-ordered-to-pay-710-000-for-discrimination-against-christian-professor.html

This researcher was fired just for studying dinosaur soft tissue:

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-evolution-human-origins/scientist-dismissed-after-soft-tissue-found-dinosaur-fossil-001906

That really doesn't fit with evolution does it? Inquisitions aren't just Catholic ya know.

You wrote :

"He claims a Fellowship from the 'prestigious" American Scientific Affiliation. This is a creationist society. Find another science based association - main stream not fringe"

Ok, so you don't like people not like you. That's very intolerant don't you think? How about Isaac Newton? He was definitely a creationist. You gonna trash him too because he was a creationist? How far should we look to find a True Scotsman in your opinion?

Dr. Bergman stated in his bio that I linked to that, "I had over a dozen signed affidavits from colleagues stating that the reason for my termination was, openly, my religious beliefs and conclusions. I found the exact same antagonism among my colleagues that I had found among Watchtower adherents".

How are you different than your mother's former persecutors?

By the way, could you please tell us what your mother's Phd was in as well as your Uncle? I would be very interested in knowing what their doctoral thesis was titled as well. Just curious.

• vienne
    vienne

You make unwarranted presumptions. His case failed because the court of first instance found that he misrepresented his credentials, and that there was no evidence that he was fired for opposition to his Creationist opinions.

I did not say I support evolution. I said that the society he represents as prestigious does not meet that standard. Both mother and Uncle B hold PhDs in history. Uncle B's dissertation forms the bulk of the two volumes of Separate Identity, available on Amazon. True to form, you're tying a persons' claims to his opinions. If he holds opinions similar to yours, he's good. If not, he's bad. That's not rational. It's also irrational to focus on others, in this case my mother or Uncle B, to divert attention.

I am aware that Bergman claims prejudice was the reason for his dismissal. The court and the appeals court did not make that finding. They found that there were grounds for dismissal in his misrepresentation of credentials. I would follow the court instead of pro-Bergman propagandists.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Sea Breeze-

“I didn't get the sense of "chest pumping" from his bio”

Most will acknowledge that ‘chest-pumping’ is subjective (obviously) so I’ll leave your opinion unaddressed (by me, anyway). If you think his 23 page biography is how professionals or academics present themselves then I encourage you to read more broadly.

Either way, his work should stand on its own merits (regardless of the length of the list of his degrees, memberships, and publications, etc.). I’m guessing he means well and I wish him the best.

I found his work on the JWs “strained” a bit. His work is widely known by those who were reading JW mentions in academic settings when it was published (years ago). I give him credit for starting the “JW Research Journal,” even if it was less than academically rigorous.

I’m happy for you that you have found someone to admire.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

"His case failed because the court of first instance found that he misrepresented his credentials"

He sued for discrimination and didn't win. You have not presented ANY evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever. No details.

"I said that the society he represents as prestigious does not meet that standard."

What standard are you talking about? You are not making any sense. It seems like you are saying that you don't like the Phd's in that fellowship because they fail to meet some standard that you have erected in your head. But, you won't tell us what that standard is.

Is the standard that they can't believe in God? .... And, you are just too afraid of looking like a bigot to come right out and say it? Even though you already have said as much:

"Find another science based association - main stream not fringe".

Again, what constitutes the standard that you allude to by which you judge Phd scientists by?

Is this what what your argument is all about?

• vienne
    vienne

It is obvious that we're not getting anywhere. You seem him as some sort of hero of the faith. I see him as having a cloud over his reputation. I see no reason to change my opinion. You can keep yours.

This discussion, from my pov, isn't about his belief in Creation. I believe in Creation as presented in the Bible. It's about his honesty and the value of what he's written. I do not hold him in the same esteem as you do.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

No hero, no high esteem. I don't know the man, haven't read hardly any of his material. I just recognized his name here and there over the years. I just found out this morning he was an ex elder, pioneer and Wt writing contributor & researcher. That's why I posted. It's not often (if ever) that ex-JWs attain that many degrees.

I know you historians are great researches. Your mom was. Again, if you have some evidence of fraud; I'd like to see it and check it out. If it checks out, I'll join you in your rebuke. I have no agenda. If something is true, then I'm on board. I'm really that simple.

I'm obviously against the cancel culture that we find ourselves in today. Too much like disfellowshipping. Good luck with your studies. If you find some details regarding fraud, again please share so we can check it out.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

That was an amazing read, well worth taking the time to carefully take it all in. What an amazing man , academic, and artisan… Perhaps I am impressed because his conclusions are similar to my own. I accept that many will disagree but I am happy to agree to differ.

I am glad that this was posted and I have bookmarked his bio.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit