Former Elder, Pioneer and WT Writer Earns 9 Science Degrees - Jerry Bergman, Ph.D., BiologyJerry Bergman, Ph.D., Biology

by Sea Breeze 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Jerry Bergman, Ph.D., Biology

Biography

Jerry Bergman has taught biology, genetics, chemistry, biochemistry, anthropology, geology, and microbiology at Northwest State College in Archbold OH for over 25 years. He has 9 degrees, including 7 graduate (2 PhD's) ... Dr Bergman is a graduate of Medical College of Ohio, Wayne State University in Detroit, The University of Toledo, and Bowling Green State University.

He has over 800 publications in 12 languages and 20 books and monographs. He has also taught at the Medical College of Ohio where he was a research associate in the department of experimental pathology, and he also taught 6 years at the University of Toledo, and 7 years at Bowling Green State University.

Dr Bergman has presented over one hundred scientific papers at professional and community meetings in the United States, Canada, and Europe. To discuss his research, he has been a featured speaker on many college campuses throughout the United States and Europe, and is a frequent guest on radio and television programs.

Education

• M.S.O.H. (Master of Science in Occupational Health), Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio, 2004.
    • M.P.H. M.P.H. (Master of Science in Public Health), Northwest Ohio Consortium for Public Health (Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio; University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio; Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio), 2001.
    • M.S.B.S. (Master of Science in Biomedical Science), Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio, 1999.
    • Ph.D. in human biology, Columbia Pacific University, San Rafael, California, 1992.
    • M.A. in social psychology, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, 1986.
    • Ph.D. in measurement and evaluation, minor in psychology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 1976.
    • M.Ed. in counseling and psychology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 1971.
    • B.S., Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 1970. Major area of study was sociology, biology, and psychology.
    • A.A. in Biology and Behavioral Science, Oakland Community College, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, 1967.

Honors/awards/certifications

• Fellow of the American Scientific Affiliation, 1983
    • Who’s Who in America
    • MENSA
    • Ohio certification to teach both elementary and high school levels

Professional memberships

Dr Bergman is or was active in the following organizations:

• National Association for Gifted Children
    • American Educational Research Association
    • National Council on Measurement in Education
    • American Sociological Association
    • American Psychological Association
    • Ohio Psychological Association
    • Association for the Scientific Study of Religion
    • American Association of Suicidology
    • Institute of Religion and Health
    • American Society of Corrections

The Professional Organizations that Dr Bergman is now a member of and/or involved in, include:

• Ohio Science Teachers Association.
    • American Biology Teachers Association.
    • The American Scientific Affiliation.
    • The American Association for the Advancement of Science.
    • The American Association for the History of Science
    • American Chemical Society
    • American Institute of Biological Sciences.
    • Ohio Academy of Science
    • American Institute of Chemists
    • New York Academy of Sciences
    • The New York Museum of Natural History

Other professional memberships

• Society for the Scientific Study of Male Psychology and Physiology, President and Founder

Radio, video tapes, and television shows

Dr Bergman has appeared on approximately 200 radio shows and 14 television shows for various Public Television and other stations.

Bio Here

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

And still believes creationism … 😮

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

No, like most of us, he morphed into agnosticism/atheism after leaving the Witnesses. He states that it was his research that led him away from evolution later in life..

"I was going through the transition from a skeptic to a believer during the time when I was a professor at Bowling Green State University in Ohio."

His full bio is linked at the bottom ot the OP.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sorry that was a snidey remark I made. I’ve read most of what Jerry Bergman has written on JWs over the years; the most recent being his book about Eisenhower’s JW background. It’s mixed quality. He written books and essays on all sorts of topics from the flag salute issue, JWs in Nazi German, mental health, child custody and more. The most helpful book he’s written in my opinion is the comprehensive (and selectively annotated) bibliography of JWs. It has all sorts of interesting and obscure references.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Slim

Yes, he is now convinced that evolution on a macro scale did not happen. He is a creationist.

"There is no question in my mind that evolutionism and its branches of Darwinism will eventually fall, just as Marxism and Freudianism did. The belief structure is wrong and has produced an enormous amount of harm in history. When I mention this, my colleagues (and the atheistic community) typically point to what they believe is the harm caused by Christianity. This putative harm of Christianity, though, often results from not following Christianity, not from following it. Those who knew, understood, and lived the teachings of Christ would not have perpetuated the sins attributed to “religion.”"

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Sea Breeze =?= Dr. Jerry Bergman

Sea Breeze seems to be a big fan of the guy. Maybe Sea Breeze is Dr. Bergman's significant other, or Dr. Bergman's mother.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Jerry Bergman is just another human out of 8 billion who is trying to find the answers to the same questions humans have been asking for a long time, about how we got here, is there a creator, what is our purpose and so on.

His jumping from Christianity to evolution back to Christianity and so on, is not unique among people that become self aware of our mortality.

The truth is he will live out his short life span and die with an incomplete picture of the REAL TRUTH.

Life will continue, humans will still struggle with the same questions they have been struggling with for hundreds of thousands of years maybe millions of years.

And before they die, many will embrace a belief that gives them comfort and hope.

That belief could be anything, but it will never be the complete picture.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Has anyone tried metaphysical idealism? I’ve been listening to a Bernardo Kastrup lately and he makes a lot of sense. He argues that current materialist orthodoxy is illogical and contradictory and that reality is mental rather than physical. The physical world we perceive is how evolution has trained us to make sense of the world, it is not an accurate depiction of the world in itself.

https://youtu.be/dkTUnCy41Ak

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

How are morals derived from Universal Consciousness or mind religion?

I think those who adhere to some forms of Eastern religious thought might be more prone to receiving his message.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

I was unable to change her mind, and the divorce eventually went through

She soon remarried ……

I had virtually no contact with my two children for almost a decade even though they lived only a state away. This was extremely difficult, and the hope that I would continue a relationship with them motivated my staying in the Ohio area.

My ex-wife has since stated several times since then (after living with an abusive husband and ending up in a home for battered women) that divorcing me was the worst mistake of her life. I later learned her husband, Rick, who used drugs and was an alcoholic, severely physically and emotionally abused my two children, especially my son Aeron. The abuse has left severe scars that remain to this day. In one month I lost my wife, both children,

I feel more sorry for the wife than for him. The world that we live in shows undeniably truth that even if a god exist, it’s not the God that humans describe as a loving, caring, compassionate God.

And his explanation of “Free Will” has already been proven to be a false hypothesis.

Just because he has 9 degrees doesn’t mean he can’t come to the same wrong conclusions as a person with no degree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit