The Power Of Unconditional Love

by 1234 25 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    "Jesus wept"
    How do you explain other dimensions to people locked into a 3-D world?

What is that supposed to mean? Are you claiming that you perceive truths beyond our grasp?

The Power of Unconditional Love

We don’t know much, but what we do know is that the power of love is a curious thing. It makes one man weep and, yet, another man sing. It doesn’t take money, nor fame. You don’t need a credit card to ride that train. It’s strong and sudden, and cruel sometimes. But, in the end, it might just save your life.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

If GOD is love I`d hate to be around when he hates something.?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Parental love is unconditional love,

You see I disagree that parental love in unconditional.

It could be argued that parental love is predisposed by genetic programming, that it's just an evolutionary process in action.

You could argue that real love is one whereby you have nothing to gain on any level. Romantic love certainly doesn't count in that respect and neither would parental love.

When you send money to a hungry stranger, is that unconditional? In a way not really, because even then you have something to gain - a feeling of wellbeing.

So doesn't all love have some kind of condition attached to it, at least for us as humans? Perhaps there's a species somewhere in the universe that has trully unconditional love.

Perhaps it's doing your duty, as Kant described. Perhaps that is love.

The vast majority of "love" on this planet is conditional love. Meaning if you do "this or that" Then I will love you.

If that is the only kind of love you know of how do you explain unconditional love to someone.... you can't, there is point of reference.

Yet it exist.... believe in it or not.

"What is that supposed to mean? Are you claiming that you perceive truths beyond our grasp?"

Yes, I guess that's the case if you don't get it.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Yes, I guess that's the case if you don't get it.

So, one of the reasons you’ve been getting push back is because there seems to be platitudes stacked upon weak definitions. When you say “unconditional” it means “without conditions”. Conditions can be anything - literally anything.

The vast majority of "love" on this planet is conditional love. Meaning if you do "this or that" Then I will love you.

That is one form of conditional love. It’s a form of affirmative condition. There could be negative conditions too - “Don’t do X or else I won’t love you”. For example, if you marry a woman, love the woman, and then one day come home to find her banging the neighbor it puts a damper on things. Perhaps you then find out she has been sleeping lots of other men, and the one child you have together isn’t really yours, yet she pursues you in court for alimony and child support. Are you saying that if the man really had “true” love, it wouldn’t be conditional? The man would just continue to love her? The condition in this case negative is: “Don’t fuck other guys” (among others).

In the example of mother and child the condition is the biological relationship shared. After all, the mother doesn’t have that love for other babies.

In your statement above (“Meaning if you do ‘this or that’ Then I will love you.”), you are really citing a form of emotional manipulation. It is very similar to “If you love me, you will have sex with me.”) I would agree that isn’t really loving - it is manipulation.

You divide love up into two categories “conditional” and “unconditional”. And the “unconditional” kind you associate with manipulation. You are conflating ideas.

If that is the only kind of love you know of how do you explain unconditional love to someone.... you can't, there is point of reference.

You can use words. It’s possible. Write more descriptive sentences. See what happened when you tried to expound above? Suddenly it seemed clear you were conflating ideas.

Yet it exist.... believe in it or not.

Sure, if you mean “manipulation-free love”. That definitely exists. That’s exists in the majority of relationships. The manipulative kind is, by definition, dysfunctional.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

The unconditional love as the JWS self profess and put into practice has resulted in many individuals to end up here, due to their disfellowship policy/doctrine.

Suicide is a known indirect causative occurrence.

Petition · Watton cemetary! Help us fight for a rule change · Change.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit