Very Weird Experience During Recent Special Talk After Memorial

by Tenacious 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

One of our eldubs always said 'dear heavenly father' repeatedly in his prayers

We had an elder that always (every time) opened his prayer with: "Dear Jehovah" . . . . .

It was like a kid penning a note to some unknown person.

Reminded me of: "Dear Santa"

Weird.

Doc

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator

We had a CO who often avoided saying "Jehovah" altogether during prayers. He actually ranted to the congregation about brothers who say "Jehovah" twenty times in their prayer, how ridiculous that sounds. It was one of the very few things on which I agreed with him. He was the most hard-line brother I ever met.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    Love that tenacious... it reminds me of a poster on here several years (name of little toe) ago who gave a talk and made the whole thing point to Jesus. At the end he handed in his resignation (from the platform). It has been recorded for posterity. It's well worth finding and listening to if you can!
  • Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane

Tenacious, I gotta ask: when he made so many references to the Father, then emphasized faith in Jesus as a path to salvation, what did all the rank & file do? Did they just bob their heads in agreement? Smile with glazed-over eyes? Or did you see many puzzled looks and head scratching?

• Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane
    Ok...my reply got deleted for some reason. I was simply asking Tenacious what the reaction of the rank & file were? Did they just go along with it? Or were there some puzzled looks? I'm just curious as to how 'deep' someone can get in a belief system, to the point where even the Flying Spaghetti Monster sounds rational. It might help me in dealing with some JWs among my friends and some family. Thanks.
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Witness dogma does not refuse any role to Jesus, but is a bit cloudy on the issue being discussed.

In any case early Christianity was also a bit cloudy on correct prayer formats. According to Geza Vermes, one of the best of modern scholars, Paul NEVER prayed directly to Jesus. (Some claim one exception to that, but the actual text is subject to some dispute).

See, Geza Vermes, Christian Beginnings: From Nazareth to Nicaea, AD30-325. Allen Lane 2012 pp 112-113

• violias
    violias
    the old hippie has been posting here I think since the board began, but at least since 02 when I arrived. They always make " hit posts" like you saw and seldom will come back for discussion.
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

@ WitnessMyFury - I don't believe he has claimed being of the anointy.

@ kairos - that my friend would be darn hilarious to hear.

@ OEJ - it could be, that's a good point. However, I've never seen it where Jehovah is blatantly ignored during these special talks. I'm still scratching my head. It kinda hurts from all the scratching now LOL.

@ ListlessWitness - that's hilarious.

@ DOC - I dread the speakers who immediately open with that darn dreaded line .... "Oh heavenly Jehovah ..." I feel like running up on the platform and smacking the snot out of them.

@ Naoscillator - that would definitely be a good thing!

@ tornapart - I have to find that link. Post it if you happen to still know it or have it. Thanks!

@ Sugar Shane - In all honesty it felt like time stood still when he read that text. I remember I popped my eyes and looked right at him and he kinda hesitated and then quickly moved on. I felt like the audience paid close attention to his next words because it became eerie quiet for a few seconds and that's when I noticed the speaker hesitated a bit then quickly moved on. Who knows but I know the audience went into scrutiny mode real quick.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

OK, well who else went to hear the special talk so we can see if this was in the outline or not?? And are special talks manuscript talks?

• atomant
    atomant
    l thought this was an apostate site after reading this lm not to sure.My dad whom was an elder for 40 odd years also used father alot in his prayers.Jehovah is a man made name anyway.lts a bit like calling your pet dog,dog without giving the animal a name if you know what l mean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit