Would you be OK with someone removing "Jesus'" name from the New Testament?

by Wonderment 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Would it be all-right with you if a translator removes "Jesus'" name completely from the New Testament and replaces it with a substitute, like "Master" throughout?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

They could substitute Jesus with Lord , me being an atheist I wouldn`t mind but that would be going against what the Bible says in Philippians chapter 2 vs 9b 10,11.

Jesus is" the name that is above every other name" Not Jehovah .

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Because I am not convinced that ANY so called Holy book is legit, they can substitute the name Jesus, Mohammed, Krishna, with Mickey Mouse for all I care. At least the merch would be better.

Just sayin'.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

It’s grammatically incorrect so it doesn’t belong. Using a different word/title or something that’s grammatically correct would be ok.

Of course it’s the Bible so whatever.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I am ok with removing ALL words from the New Testament.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Lets start with the fact that.......... when or if Jesus walked the earth......... there was no J in the Jewish alphabet. So YHWH was God's name or as close as anyone got which would have been Yahwey. And Jesus would have been called Yesiver.

Jesus and his followers were all Jewish and so they had Hebrew names — although they would likely have spoken Aramaic. The “J” sound used to pronounce Jesus’ name does not exist in Hebrew or Aramaic, which is strong evidence that Jesus was called something entirely different by his contemporaries.
    https://allthatsinteresting.com/yeshua-jesus-real-name

Jesus is the Latin version of his Jewish name and meaningless in the times he was around.

A side note....... the real explanation why prayers are not answered or heard is because humans don't know the real name of God and or Jesus. Latin names....... translations........ are not acceptable.

JW's You really can't pray in the name of Jesus when it's not his real name.

As simply as I can put it: Your name is Patrick and your walking up the street and some one calls out 'hey Joe!

Do you go over and say hi? Or do you mind your own business.

• Ding
    Ding

If the name didn't appear in any Greek New Testament manuscripts, yes.

The translation should be true to the original, not substituting words that aren't there because someone thinks they should be.

The King James translators did add in words in order to make the transition from Greek to English, but they italicized those words to make clear that that's what they were doing.

By contrast, the NWT injects "Jehovah" into the NT 237 times.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I would have no problem with it.

Since Jesus is a Puerto Rican name (pronounced hay-Zoos), why not use a real Jewish name like Sal or Irv ?

Then give it a good Brooklyn accent when you speak it (like Irv = ooooiiivv).

That would be more realistic.

Rub a Dub

• sir82
    sir82

Your question makes no sense.

Every ancient manuscript of the NT - 100% of them - contains Jesus' name, over and over and over to the 100th power over again.

To remove the name "Jesus" would be at best, gross mistranslation, and more properly characterized as textual vandalism.

In contrast, no ancient manuscript - 0% of them - contains the name "Jehovah". They. Just. Do. Not. Exist.

Inserting "Jehovah" into the manuscripts to replace "Lord" or "God" is quite simply, a mistranslation. There is no documentary evidence to support it.

It is a point worth debating to consider whether some ancient manuscripts contained "Jehovah" in places where direct quotations from the Septuagint were made. There is no direct evidence of it, but it is within the realm of possibility.

But that is of course has nothing to do with the absurdity of the OP. The writer is either incredibly stupid or incredibly deceptive - either way not worth any more time.

• Giordano
    Giordano

To pick up on Rub A Dub's point.

If your in an American prison and hear "Jesus loves you." That may be a good thing.

If your in a Mexican Jail and hear "Hay-Zoos loves you...you've got a problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit