Scientologists defend Jehovah's Witnesses

by Amazing 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

IN my ongoing research to discover "if" and "where" the Watchtower Society (Jehovah's Witnesses) may be connected to, or engaging in, mutual support with other religious bodies, I am discovering some interesting links ... I thought you may find this one of particular interest:

A person who disconnects is simply exercising his right to communicate or not to communicate with a particular person. This is one of the most fundamental rights of man. Members of other religions have exercised it down the ages when confronted by those who persistently opposed the practice of their faiths. Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Amish practice “shunning”—a form of disconnection—and their right to do so has been upheld by courts across the country. Certain Orthodox Jewish congregations practice an extreme form of disconnection in which a mock funeral is held for apostate members. Disconnection in Scientology is neither new nor strange in the annals of religion.

Resource: http://www.scientology.org/en_US/news-media/faq/pg060.html

All I can say is ... fascinating. - Jim W. ... PS: I have some real juicy stuff in the making that will utterly shock you.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Jim,

So the JW's are side by side with the Amish and the Scientologist in their treatment of dissidents (or worse, since my understanding is that the Amish shunning has a limited time period).

If only the average JW could comprehend that what they do is not new and how they treat people is similar to other groups also not famous for being rational. Strange bed fellows.

Jst2laws

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    This is one of the most fundamental rights of man. Members of other religions have exercised it down the ages when confronted by those who persistently opposed the practice of their faiths.

You mean like the Catholic Church conducting the Inquisition and burning heretics at the stake? Ah yes, permanently disconnect folks who "oppose" your faith.

You know your position is questionable when the Scientologists are on your side.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Amazing writes:

PS: I have some real juicy stuff in the making that will utterly shock you

You're such a tease! Way to get a girl's heart all aflutter.....

• waiting
    waiting
    Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Amish practice “shunning”—a form of disconnection—and their right to do so has been upheld by courts across the country.

To "disconnect" can be anything.........like turning a light switch off. Asking for a person's membership card back. Not renewing dues paid. Taking a libary card off Current User.

To refuse to speak, share companionship, with a loved one, or a friend, for the rest of your life - because that person has different religious views than you, is savage and cruel.

I agree that we have a fundamental right to not speak to someone. It is OUR right. Like, if I really didn't like Amazing.....I could say "I don't want to speak to you again." Ok - an individual right. But is it the right of an organization to demand this of their followers? What if the follower doesn't want to - as in jw's? Then that person is also shunned.

But to love someone - to not associate with them for the rest of your & their life - to negatively "discipline" that person, to inflict real pain on them and yourself and your family......well, that's different.

That's savage & cruel.

right to do so has been upheld by courts across the country.

Terribly inefficient of Scientologists not to qualify their statements.

right to do so has been upheld by courts across the country...............so far.
  • Inquiry
    Inquiry

There was an organization formed a few years ago where, JWs, Scientologists, Mormons, some vampire religion and even Satanists, etc. got together to work out how to deal with dissenters... I can't remember it... CESNUR or something like that... it was in the H2O days...

What is frightening is the Scientologists are well known for the "Fair Game" policy... which means that they can act against a persons reputation, wealth and worse.... if they are "declared" which is the same as Disfellowshipped...

Not only that.. but Scientologists have quite the legal history... not the least of which is infiltrating and breaking into several government offices and stealing records!!!!! About everything...

If the WT is learning about these tactics... or applying them...it's a scary thought...

Inq

• seven006
    seven006

Here is a link to the thread about FIREPHIM. This is the organization started by Scientolgy, Moonies and the JW's. It is now run by the UFO cult the Realians.

JW's,Sicentology,Moonies,all members of FIREPHIM?

Dave
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started on some research to expose the cult that Xenu is trying to sneak on to this board "Raelians" and I think I might have come across something that will be of interest to all of you. I will address the information that exposes Xenu's cult the Raelians in another thread but at this time I wanted to bring this very interesting information on this thread to see if anyone has heard of this. The information I have run across puts the JW's in a corporation that was started by the Scientologists and has members of some of the more notorious cults in the world. This corporation is called FIREPHiM. That is short for "International Federation of Religious and Philosophical Minorities." FIREPHIM is the French term for this group.

From what I can gather at this time is it is an organization that was incorporated in 1992 in Strasbourg Switzerland. It was founded by Scientology and is headed by the former president of Scientology in France.

Here is a couple of cut and paste sections of articles that I found that explain it. I will do some more research to give you more information tomorrow along with links to the complete articles about this. What I want to know is if anyone here has heard of this?

Here are the two cut and paste sections:

1:
    FACTnet 5

FIREPHIM

At the end of 1992, the International Federation of Religious and
    Philosophical Minorities (styled FIREPHIM) was registered in
    Strasbourg. FIREPHIM was founded by Scientology and is headed by the
    former president of Scientology in France. FIREPHIM is an alliance
    of cults which also seeks to gain credibility by including genuine
    religious minorities. With FIREPHIM Scientology hasjoined together
    the Moonies, the Children of God, the Jehovah's Witnesses, Le
    Patriache (associated with Lyndon LaRouche), the Raelians and the
    witchcraft organization Wicca Occidental.

Scientology has been sharing its techniques with the Moonies for some
    years. It seems highly likely that under Scientology's tutelage,
    other cults will develop aggressive public relations, litigation and
    intelligence strategies. This is already evident in cases brought
    against the Children of God (or Family of Love) throughout the world.
    The evidence is clear: leader "Moses" David Berg has frequently
    recommended the sexual abuse of children from birth onwards. Berg's
    followers are known for "flirty fishing" - the use of prostitution to
    recruit. So far, the Children of God have been largely successful in
    their defense. In Australia, for example, legal moves to put the
    children in the custody of the state have thus far failed.

The Children of God: The Inside Story (Zondervan), by Deborah Davis, a former COG leader and Berg's own daughter. Pement testifies to the increase in professionalism within The Family. "The level of apologetic which they were distributing...is far above anything that Moses David Berg is capable of producing."
    The Family's New Fight. Pement's exchange with The Family demonstrates more than the fact that the group has organized a well-oiled public relations machine, apparently based out of La Habra. When The Family wrote Pement upon hearing of his plans to republish Davis's book, they challenged Davis's credibility and issued a warning to Pement about publishing the book.
    "They're still trying to dissuade us," Pement said.
    Moreover, the group has recently begun legally challenging its more avid opponents. For instance, in recent months The Family has pursued charges of theft and kidnapping against former members Edward Priebe and Daniel Welsh, who infiltrated a Family commune in Manila in 1992. The two reportedly carried away large quantities of Family literature, audiocassettes, and videotapes (some of a sexually explicit nature), which they initially planned to use to expose the group.
    "After [being robbed of] more than 3-million dollars' worth of audio-visual materials from Family archives in the Philippines last September," says one recent Family press release, "...The Family has...filed official complaints and reports with the FBI, the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the US Attorney's [sic] Office of Los Angeles," while considering libel and slander suits.
    The release further states that "although in the past the Family has not been known to take such legal action, due to the growing climate of religious bigotry being fostered by such individuals, the Family has begun to make more full use of the law and exercise their legal rights as American citizens."
    Still, The Family's many critics doubt that the sect would actually take anyone to court, since it might open their own organization up to scrutiny as well.
    The Family has also seized on the Waco, Texas Branch Davidian incident, seeking to make a case against Cult Awareness Network (CAN). The Family claims that CAN has damaged its work through unfair accusations.
    A two-page letter sent out to several U.S. senators, whom Francis would not name, asks: "Waco: Who's responsible? -- Cult Awareness Network?" The letter says that "this organization of so-called 'cult experts' injected prejudice, distrust, and fear into what should have been an objective, unemotional investigation of the Branch Davidians....We, the Family, have also been targets of CAN's 'dirty tricks department' via media smear campaigns and deprogramming attacks." The letter urges the senators to investigate CAN and "its influence on decisions made in Waco," and to launch a broad public educational campaign about "New Religious Movements" (NRMs).
    Francis says The Family is pleased with the response they received from Washington, D.C., though he would not provide details.
    Priscilla Coates, former CAN president and current chair of CAN's Los Angeles chapter, says that while she was not aware of The Family's communications with members of Congress, she is not surprised at the new tenor of the group's efforts, which she says lack substance.
    Says Coates, "They have joined forces...and formed a corporation in Switzerland with Scientology, the Raelians, the Occidental Wiccans," as well as the Jehovah's Witnesses, Moonies, and Baha'is. The group is called the International Federation of Religious and Philosophical Minorities (known by its French acronym, FIREPHIM) and is devoted to defending the cause of NRMs.
    Coates says that FIREPHIM's members apparently share information concerning their detractors. In fact, in March 1993 Linda Simmons Hight, media coordinator for the Church of Scientology, told Religious News Service that Scientology "informs [The Family] of trends that are going on in religious freedom issues."

Dave

• waiting
    waiting

Thanks, Six, for this information!

Priscilla Coates, former CAN president and current chair of CAN's Los Angeles chapter, says that while she was not aware of The Family's communications with members of Congress, she is not surprised at the new tenor of the group's efforts, which she says lack substance.

Says Coates, "They have joined forces...and formed a corporation in Switzerland with Scientology, the Raelians, the Occidental Wiccans," as well as the Jehovah's Witnesses, Moonies, and Baha'is. The group is called the International Federation of Religious and Philosophical Minorities (known by its French acronym, FIREPHIM) and is devoted to defending the cause of NRMs.

Coates says that FIREPHIM's members apparently share information concerning their detractors. In fact, in March 1993 Linda Simmons Hight, media coordinator for the Church of Scientology, told Religious News Service that Scientology "informs [The Family] of trends that are going on in religious freedom issues."

I had heard of the organization of cults coming together - JW's were even scheduled speakers at one of their seminars a couple of years back.

Why wouldn't this be even MORE despicable than the WTBTS being an NGO to the United Nations?

According to the Jehovah's Witnesses, ALL other religions are Satanic. ALL. If the WTBTS can join organizations which just aren't supporting false religion - they ARE false religions - then it's the supreme insult to intelligence to df/da local jw's for joining the Y to use their swimming pool.

waiting

• seven006
    seven006

Waiting,

I thought this was a substantial find back when I posted the original thread a year and a half ago. It didn't get much attention so I quit doing research. I found this info shortly after the UN issue came out so it didn't get much play. I don't do research anymore about any JW issues unless Alan F. asks for my help. I guess I have gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore.

The last thing I found was that the JW's backed out of Firephem because they were afraid of getting found out by their rank and file drones. To me it was a classic case of showing the JW's to be as much of a cult as the Scientologists and Moonies. The JW's are using the copyright issue to try and close mouths on the Internet, they learned that little trick from the Scientologists.

I think most JW's would be surprised to hear about all of this but I still don't think it would make many leave. If they weren't smart enough to see through the 1914 generation issue then they are too blind and stupid to see through anything else.

If you want to learn more, just type Firephem into a search engine and you can find out more.

Dave

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Just a side note: FYI CAN (Cult awareness network) is now owned and operated by the scientologists. If you call them for help, you will talk to a practicing scientologist, not a counsellor.

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit