Do WT Publications Make Us Feel Unworthy, Unlovable and Helpless?

by jp1692 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jp1692
    jp1692
    It is my contention that the WTBTS, (as do all high-control, authoritarian cults), deliberately cultivates dysfunctional beliefs among its members. In particular, the most destructive of these beliefs are those that undermine one's feelings of self-worth.

For a research project I am doing, I am looking for direct quotes from WT publications that seem to be specifically designed to manipulate the readers into feeling: unworthy, unlovable, inadequate and/or helpless.

Please paste your quotes into this thread. Be sure to include references to the publication including page number(s) and dates for magazines.

Thanks in advance!
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

There are plenty just do a search on "undeserved kindness" on JWdotOrg and you should find a ton of articles.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Do WT Publications Make Us Feel Unworthy, Unlovable and Helpless?

No...

I won`t let WBT$ "Soul Sucking" Literature, in the house..

Image result for Watchtower logo
    Image result for Soul suckers

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I'm guessing a search of JW literature under the terms "thinking persons" or "thinking persons will agree", will bring up all sorts of quotes wherein it is insinuated that unless the reader agrees with whatever point is being made, he or she is not "thinking person" and is therefore unworthy.

Also: "Honest hearted ones realize", "Lovers of truth know" "reasonable persons will agree" etc etc.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

Most felt that way before they became witnesses. That's who they prey on. So the literature is tailored made for those types of personalities. If you have a happy nature they will try to suck it out of you. One thing about life what can't be cured in our society will be colonized. Remember the lepers, they could not cure them so they colonized them. So that is to say, birds of a feather flock together. Yes, there are many nationalities in the org., but there is also many personalities but they are the same....not feeling worthy.

If you feel worthy, you won't last as a Jw. The literature is written for Debbie downers.

Jws forget to put on their oxygen mask first before they help others. Because all they care about is hours and pleasing man.

Yes. The literature does make one feel less than, but that's man saying it. What does God say?

Tor

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

The bible does that too:

Romans 7:24:Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?

Jeremiah 10:23: I know, LORD, that our lives are not our own. We are not able to plan our own course.

Proverbs 3:5: Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.

Ecclesiastes 7:20: Not a single person on earth is always good and never sins.

Romans 3:23: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

1 Cor 3:18: Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise.

and so on

• jp1692
    jp1692

Thanks to all for your replies!

JW_Rogue: Thanks for the tip. I actually have done that. I was hoping in asking the JWN community that perhaps individuals would share WT comments which personally struck them as manipulative. My thought was that some, maybe all of these, would be quotes which I did not find.

OUTLAW: As always, good pointed commentary concisely stated!

Pete Zahut: I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion. (Also see my response to JW Rogue above).

Tor1500: Interesting comments. Thanks for sharing. You raise an interesting question: do cults attract mentally ill people or create them. From my research the answer is unequivocally that they do both.

Drearyweather: I agree that the Bible itself is filled with manipulative language designed to control. However, I am looking specifically for quotes from WT literature that deliberately cultivate dysfunctional beliefs among its members. Many "Christian" religions have become very mainstream and effectively only use the parts of the Bible which are socially acceptable. Cults like to use the scriptures to reinforce their controlling agenda.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I wholeheartedly agree with your assertions. I'm not sure I can bring myself to search for specific quotes, but as mentioned above, the drumming of undeserved kindness into our heads was bad enough. "Not good enough" is the cry of the ex-JW, as we are free to express how they made us feel. No matter what one does, in the end, "PROBABLY they may be concealed in the day of Jehovah's burning anger". Basically, you can never feel okay. The constant encouragement to strive to simplify, give more, do more, be more, etc. is just them saying over and over again that you're not enough. The beatings will commence until morale improves.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS's literature have been designed to incite fear, shame and guilt not only to attract attention to these pieces of literature but they build a plethora of twisted up emotions and thoughts.

The underlining agenda of the WTS leaders is to build and cultivate power and control around themselves.

Unfortunately lies and the bible to support those lies does work on a segment of the population.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi jp1692,

It's just an observation. I read many sites of JW's x and present and it seems they have a issue with depression or something or other. Never read where a witness came from a balanced home life with love and support. Not to say any family life is without problems. Just read what Jw's say when they come to these type of sites.

Places like the org. give folks a place to fit and for others it's a better than others personality. My God is better than your God.

You ask if cults attract or create, it could be both. If you have a certain need a you may be attracted to a cult because the congregations are not too big and if you need constant stroking cults are best for that. Yes, they can create a person who may not be mentally ill but not too secure, the org. will take you over that edge. Or you will see through it like I do and don't spend to much time with the friends. I'm pretty well adjusted and they know it but trying undo my well adjusted self so I can need them. I don't think so.

Again just read the different sites most witnesses are just not happy people. They put on they are happy. Not true. I'm in. I see it all. I could say more but don't want to blow my cover. Most commetors here never reply to me. I don't have a Debbie downer story. I'm not a woe is me person. And don't blame the org for my behavior. I shun in my own way. When I see a df person I may smile hold the door for them even sit next to them. Just to acknowledge them.

Some of us come from homes that made us feel unworthy so the org plays on that and puts the icing on it. There are people out there who prey on people's weaknesses.

The society knows their audience and know just who they are appealing to. They know how to make videos to pull at your heart and purse strings. Just like on tv when they show you the poor and starving people and animals they too are pulling at the same strings the org is. Some of us are gullible and some not.

Again, birds of a feather flock together, can you spot the common denominator in witnesses?

But did you ever notice that some folks are both self confident? Maybe those turn out to be elders or elderettes.

Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit