Watchtower Converts City Centre Office Block In Chelmsford UK

by Petraglyph 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

The international property development corporation moves into Chelmsford:

Jehovah's Witnesses open £500k church in the heart of Chelmsford

"The new Kingdom Hall is a visible presence right in the city centre."

Chelmsford Witnesses first earmarked the empty office block, apparently designed eight years ago as a nightclub, in about 2011.

By 2012 the group had agreed a £260,000 purchase for part of the ground floor and the entire lower ground floor, but it has taken three years to bring the project to fruition.

Witnesses from across the world helped fork out £250,000 for the renovation, which was carried out by about 300 volunteering Christians in the summer, commuting from as far as Cornwall and Scotland.

£510,000 = US$778,000

I wonder how long it will be before Watchtower sells this and realises everyone else's investments?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

So...they really are now meeting in a basement.

They have a little literature display shop at street level. So, people can come in, get some literature, and then get an invitation to go down to the basement.

Charming.

• Divergent
    Divergent
    it has taken three years to bring the project to fruition.

Wait... so Jehovah’s blessing took 3 bloody years???

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It was designed as a nightclub! WTF?!?

I know JWs that wouldn't buy stuff at a garage sale because things there MIGHT have been demonized.

What a fucking ridiculous cult this religion is.

I really can't believe I ever fell for this shit.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Another quick build!
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    So they spent £ 260,000 to purchase the place, then pumped in almost the same amount again to renovate it??? That's crazy...
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

I would not be surprised if the purchase and timeframe had something to do with Temple Farm. I would suggest the funds and commitment to do the job were linked to the Bethel development proceeding.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Is the area undergoing a renovation? Why sink so much $$$ into a property, unless the resale potential is good? Hmmmm???

Of course, free labor is a green light to spend more on what you want. The WTBTS runs off sweat equity. Maybe they are laundering money?

DD

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Too bad more have not put comments on this article...
  • steve2
    steve2

So the sole photo of this very positively described expensive renovation consists of two JW elders in full view with a mere side on view of the actual Kingdom Hall? No inside views of the allegedly well-designed auditorium. Talk about an "airhead" of a story.(The Photo Gallery feature accompsnying the article doesn't seem to contain any other photos)

I note one of the elders said the renovation was justified by the increase in the congregation since 2012 from 260 to 320. Is that an indication of increase in active Witnesses in the UK since 2012 - or a local increase? The annual Yearbook of JWs doesn't reflect such a comparable big increase across the UK - or have I missed something?

Three readers comments follow the article. All breaths of fresh air about the state of the organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit