Do You Still Easily Believe Everything?

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

After 60 years of living I've learned to not believe in anything.

There is more virtue in accepting and knowing how to discern and evaluate information that comes to you in creating a true reality.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I believe in music, I believe in love

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Yes 😂😂😂My kids and husband are constantly dumbfounded by my credulousness (if there's such a word). My default position is to immediately believe anything I'm told, although to be fair I'm more gullable when it's in person. I'm not quite so bad when reading an article, for example. Historically I was much worse in that regard too, at least according to my husband.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When I woke up I realised that the Org had lied and lied and lied to me for many decades. If I had only done some serious testing of their false claims, I could have been free much earlier in Life.

I decided I would only trust that something was true if it had evidence and facts to back it that would stand the most rigorous of scrutiny, and preferably scrutiny by experts in the field.

I have done that ever since, even checking to see who is financing Scientists or others that claim this or that, and checking references in Scientific Papers, often the references come from other Scientists that take the same stance as the Paper, which is no validation necessarily, sometimes it is. You have to use judgement.

I apply this system elsewhere too. So I am unlikely to be caught out by trusting that some random bloke on the internet has it right, and experts who agree a consensus opinion are wrong.

I will not be fooled again.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Here are tons of studies coming out showing that Mask did nothing to contain the virus. It was more of a political statement.

And once you got the virus, you most likely have antibodies for the rest of your life.

Also, many young one getting the vaccine are developing heart problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAAMGeERkuM

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

– Gautama Buddha

• Vidiot
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Do You Still Easily Believe Everything? - no.

I have my own BS detector, plus this site has helped me somewhat.

Uni also helped me. Studying Biology helped me because in science, you have to justify your statements, reference others , and support your statements with data.

• TD
    TD
    Just because someone tells you something, do you tend to automatically question it, or do you revert to taking the course of least resistance?

I don't think anybody wants to be taken in, but part of avoiding it is learning how to do proper research, which means sifting through primary sources and not relying on somebody else to summarize them for you

It sounds easy, but it's not when we're constantly flooded with so much information all the time.

Perfect example:

Dr. Judy Mikovits, the controversial virologist, who made some astounding claims at the height of the pandemic got a lot of traction, even here on this site.

Those claims however are easily debunked simply by reading through her own scientific papers in the order in which she published them.

That however takes a couple of hours and who has time?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" That however takes a couple of hours and who has time? "

I agree, it can be time consuming, often a time-saver is a trusted Fact Checking Site, ( some are not so good, none are infallible!), but sometimes, where it is a life and death matter, as the case of that fraud Mikovitz was, then the time is worth it surely ?

With her balderdash it only took a couple of clicks to find out she was not qualified in the necessary fields to make the judgements she claimed to be able to do, and that what she said was Scientifically wrong. But as I said above, sometimes it does involve a degree of time and effort where someone has gone to a great deal of effort themselves to make it seem as though their claims are genuine.

The more you do it, you do, without doubt, develop a good Bullshit Detector, but, some will continue to be lazy, and continue to be fooled and led by the nose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit