My sister who is still in is going to Costa Rica as a missionary

by time2keepmoving 21 Replies latest jw friends

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving
    I left the organization in 2011 and never look back. I left behind my sister and her two daughters by mid 2015 both her daughters (both are in their early twenties) were disfellowshipped and left the organization. They are still out. She has decided to go to Costa Rica as a missionary (I guess that's what they are still calling them, unless that has changed, been gone so long I don't know if they came up with a new term for it). She is leaving in a year for good. I can't for the life of me understand how she can leave both her daughters behind and her 3 year old grandson for this organization. She is the only one left. Nobody else in my family is a JW, nobody. It just amazes me how she is still holding on and is still dedicated to this cult. She has never lived outside of the United States and I wonder how she will get alone with absolutely no family or husband. She is going over there as a single sister in her late forties.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    she in her mind has nothing left so she's committed. Sad but that's what brain washing over time does to a person.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I feel for you. There's probably nothing others can say to talk her out of this. Her reward will be in her mind- a good name with Jehovah so that He will resurrect her.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sad, another life wasted propagating human ignorance and corruption by a single religious publishing house.

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving
    @crazyguy - yes, I feel like she thinks she has nothing left so might as well go to a foreign country and try to forget. She is holding on to this cult like it is all she has, as if her daughters leaving the organization has left her with nothing and nobody. The mind control is strong with her.
  • the girl next door
    the girl next door

Sounds like she has decided to serve where "the need is great". Costa Rica is a popular "need greater" destination. Usually she would have to be invited by a host congregation, but it is not unheard of for JWs to just pack up and head to places like Costa Rica or Belize. There are english speaking only congregations scattered throughout CR that have 30 to 60 publishers. Typically 2 or 3 elders. Tourist destinations are usually where these english congregations are set up. She will have a good time. Pioneer hours are simple to make as much of the territory is rural and spread out and accessible to foot traffic only.

But nearly everywhere you go, the locals are Catholic and the tourists do not want to waste their time being preached to. The adventure will be high, generally the social aspects of the congregations are high as well. Lots of "get togethers" for any and every reason.

After a while the novelty wears off. You grow weary of aros con pollo. And dealing with insects and other wildlife just becomes a pain in the ass. Most new "need greaters" last a couple of years and then head home or move on.

Theft is a huge concern too. It happens all the time everywhere in CR. If it is not strapped to your body, it will be taken.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

She is going over there as a single sister in her late forties.

Going to Costa Rica as a need-greater? She needs a better retirement plan than that!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Once the initial enthusiasm wears off, and also the novelty, she will find herself alone and battling to get by.

The initial peer praises will also fade as people forget about her as she will be out of sight, out of mind

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Serving in Belize was the best time of all my years in the organization, Costa Rica is

even better. A single sister that will be interesting, it will be rough for her is she don't

find a mate, but what a place to serve. She will find out that sisters don't get the same respect

as married couples or single brothers.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It's called "serving where the need is more fun". Not many people go to Gnome Alaska or somewhere else in the frozen north where people live, yet few JW's around to spread the life saving news. It's typically places with sandy beaches that they head for.

I think now these folks have to finance themselves because of the "money issues" the Watchtower is having these days. Did she have a home to sell in this country? Most likely her money will go farther down there. She also could be hoping she'll be more "exotic" there being a foreigner and will find a husband who lives there and already has things set up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit