My sister who is still in is going to Costa Rica as a missionary

by time2keepmoving 21 Replies latest jw friends

• transhuman68
    transhuman68
    Sometimes I think the JWs do exactly what they want; but just find a 'theocratic' reason for doing it - could just be a mid-life crisis thing. My sister & her husband are in Ecuador - supposedly for holier than thou witnessing, but now my sister is making soap - bringing cleanliness to the unwashed masses of Sth Americans! Too funny. It's a cheap place to live, anyway...
  • fulano
    fulano

I have known hundreds of those " Needgreaters ", all on the white sandy beaches. Making long days in field service, some even 12 hours to have three or four days off for partying on the beach. Never willing to go where we needed them, in the very hot primitive area with the border with Haïti for example.

It became so rediculous that we even had CA's in english! I mean, the first thing you need to do is learn the local language.

"Adventurers with alibi and local support".

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving
    I don't know how she plans to support herself over there. She does know a elder and his wife who live there and so I guess they are the ones encouraging her to come. She seems hyped up about it but again, if she has some savings, I still don't know how she will make it after that has been exhausted or how she will pay for medical attention if she needs it.
  • sir82
    sir82

It always kills me how the "need greaters" always go to tropical locations which still have a decent standard of living if you have at least a little money.

The "cool kids" (whose wealthy parents subsidize their pioneering) always end up in the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Belize, etc.

Why do they never go to, say, North Dakota? Manitoba? Angola? Papua New Guinea? Lots of congregations need lots of help there too.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

sir82- your so right - I guess there is only a Great Need near beautiful beaches and when the surf is up.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

It's funny, I've been all over the world:

Hong Kong: Didn't see any JW's.

Ghangzhou Province of China: Didn't see any JW's.

Bangkok, Thailand: Didn't see any JW's.

Floating Market (Mekong) in Thailand: Saw a Kingdom Hall, on stilts!

Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico: Didn't see any JW's

Nearly every Caribbean island there is: Didn't see any JW's

Canada: Didn't see any JW's. In Niagara Falls, saw many other religions represented.

Peru (Lima, Cusco, Amazon Junge, Machu Picchu): Didn't see any JW's, though saw lots of Catholic charities and heard about JW's, SDA's, and Mormons being a pain in the ass, trying to get money, but offering nothing in return. Poor people here weren't buying their cult crap!

Florida & Hawaii: Didn't see any JW's.

NY & PA: JW's everywhere.

Beaches of New England, USA: Cart "witnessing", everywhere.

Where the hell are all the JWs? I never see any outside of Pennsylvania, and like I listed above, I've gotten around in my 36 years. Next year, I'm planning on trekking from Kathmandu to Everest base camp. Wonder if I'll see any Napelese JW's?

• fulano
    fulano
    Maybe you'll find some needgreaters on Everest base camp.
  • TheListener
    TheListener

Don't worry, she'll be back in a few years and be looking to borrow money or to have you help her with retirement. It seems the witnesses trust in J with everything they have....until it comes time to retire. At retirement it's all 'is your basement being lived in...?'

• lostinthought
    lostinthought
    I served where the need was greater in rural Nebraska. People laughed and said "why would you want to go there", but we were doing exactly that, serving where we were needed...not going to a tropical country and drinking rum punch on our days off from service.
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000

Isn't the need greater in places like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, China, and India??

There are nearly half of the world population in these places of mostly folks who have never heard to message, but yet they are considering a small central american country a priority?

Send her to Pakistan.Certainly there should be no fear of persecution, since jehoover will be protecting her as she is doing his work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit