Can You Name ANYTHING That Jehovah’s Witnesses Have Been Right About?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Regarding smoking, they originally said you would be disfellowshipped due to being involved with “spiritism”

Min ...

Yes, I remember that clearly.

Rub a Dub

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In 1942 they predicted that the defunct Leage of Nations would be reformed . This in accord with Rev 17 v 8. In 1945 the United Nations .Org was formed.

This is how the WT puts it. In fact, I believe that plans for a UN were already known about , once the War had been won

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

Tobacco use. My only one brother died recently of lung cancer and i assure you that i would not like to live what he lived, even if morphine can help a little to alleviate the sufferings.

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

@BluesBrother

Stole my comment just as I was about to type it up!

Several years ago, Tony Morris gave a talk at a convention I was attending and he gloated from the platform that JWs are the only organization on Earth who have two dates to their credit- 1914 and 1945.

Even then, well before I was ready to leave, I couldn't help but roll my eyes and groan on the inside. It was pretty silly, but it was also a pivotal moment for me- it was the first time I had ever seen a GB member and the first time I came to know one by name. He spoke with an incredible amount of confidence and authority, nothing like I'd ever seen from any other JW. Probably from years of never being questioned and failing to apply the counsel every other speaker gets about being humble and not talking down to an audience.

Now for a bit of a sidetrack- I usually don't remember jack squat from any assembly or convention, but that one was notable for one other reason. A different speaker claimed that evolution was irrational because "we've never seen a horse give birth to an elephant!" During almost my whole time as a JW, I secretly believed in theistic evolution, so that sort of misrepresentation of the question of evolution didn't sit well with me. However, during the lunch break, a sister sitting nearby me exclaimed that she really appreciated what a great point it was!

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

That the World would hate you.

The world hates them because they recognise that they are a cult and a collection of very weird people.

• krismalone
    krismalone

The cult leaders claim that they predicted the United Nations as the league of nations was inactive or gone into the "abyss". The cult leader Nathan H. Knorr gave a talk themed "Peace, can it last" in late September 1942 where he "predicted" the U.N.

Here are serious problems with that claim:

01.) The plans for a re-organized international body was announced in 01/01/1942. As a matter of fact, it was F.D.R. who coined the term "United Nations" as the new international body. 26 nations besides U.S. and GB pledged support for this re-organized international body to fight for peace. This event is called the "United Nations declaration". This was 8 months before cult leader Knorr "predicted the U.N.!!!!

Problem #2: The league of nations was not officially dissolved until 04/20/1946. This means it was never dead and then resurrected again as the cult claims.

Problem #3: The U.N. was officially ratified by 50+ nations in 1945. This means the league of nations overlapped (No pun intended) its existence with the newly organized U.N. They were both in existence at the same time. This does not coincide with the description in Revelation that it was completely dead and revived.

Of I go to a restaurant and order a steak, and I tell my wife that I am predicting that the waitress will bring me a steak and BOOM.....I have a steak brought to me....does that make me a prophet?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit