How much longer before the majority figure out the bible is not from God?

by I believe in overlapping 25 Replies latest social current

• Onager
    Onager

Probably so Onager but I understand there are atheist groups in USA but no such communities in Britain. None on the internet that I have found so far.
    How about a news headline: Russell's orbiting tea-pot dicovered!

"Russell's teapot found! - Tastes delicious says Buzz Aldrin."

Um, Richard Dawkins is English isn't he? I don't think he just sits in his bedroom, arguing with his pot plants. Mind you, when I looked up the "Brights" organisation, which is linked to Dawkins in my mind, it's American based.

I guess I don't have any evidence to refute your argument, it just feels to me like everything American is writ large. The UK could have 5 atheist organisations, but America will have 500. Plus the organisations in the UK will be distributing a monthly newletter by posting photocopied sheets to their members (hand delivered by Doris on her trusty bicycle), while the American organisations will have their own TV channel! :)

"In other news, the missing link between humans and monkeys has been discovered! Asked for a comment, the Archbishop of Canterbury said: This proves nothing, where is the missing link between the missing link and the monkeys and, also of course, the missing link between that missing link and the original missing link? Eh??"

• Half banana
    Half banana

There is a scale matter, USA has a population 5.5 times that of the UK (but 40 times the land mass).

Britain is not interested much in religion--USA is. The good bit is that there has been in the last 10 years a distinct drop in religious affiliation in USA but the Bible is virtually built into the American psyche as the moral regulator of the nation. This is not the case in Britain today, although religion, as distinct from the Bible, was important here one hundred years ago.

Without a doubt it is taking much longer for Americans to recognise that the Bible is an outdated and flawed guide to living. Probably this is because of the historically reverential association of the Bible with US nationhood.With such a history, perhaps there even exists a collective fear of getting God's disapproval by down voting his book?

• stillin
  • Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

www.GodIsImaginary.Com is a good resource. 50, no nonsense, common sense reasons for people to jump on the Atheist train.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    I believe in overlapping

I think you're conflating a bunch of things. Cultural Christianity doesn't (never did) equal Bible believer. Just as non-religious doesn't equal atheist.

Atheism has a long way to go. It needs to explain where transcendental things like logic, morality, science come from in a material universe.

As for taxing the Church, that would give the Church more of a voice, not less. As a Bible believer myself, I've been in favor of taxing churches for years.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

While polls have certainly shown a decline in denominational identification, sadly the trend at the moment is to distrust science (and authority figures in general). There is a dangerous lack of understanding of what science is and how it must be conducted. Every crazy so-called study with its unsupportable conclusion is said to represent Science. Many scientists have recently acknowledged they let it get to this point by cloistering in academia while populists and conspiracy theorists have sold snake oil wrapped in pseudoscience to the general public. The recent Science magazine had a piece on this.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

O.K. so the majority do figure out that the Bible is not from God ? So what ?

Christianity is only a drop in the bucket as far as belief in one God or another is concerned .

Now you have to deal with all of the other non Christian beliefs that worship a God of their choosing.

I find it amusing that some people seem to think that Christianity has a monopoly on people worshiping a God.

• Half banana
    Half banana

@Deputy Dog You are making a religious inspired error about atheism.

You say that atheism has to explain the transcendental things. I would suggest that atheism has nothing ever to explain to anybody.

It is only in the mind of the believer which sees atheism as its nemesis but atheism is simply the state of holding no belief in god, it is not a movement or belief system and has nothing to explain.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Half banana

That is something you need to take up with the OP, who is suggesting that people are loosing "faith" in the Bible, and siting statistics about the number of people becoming atheists.

However, just because you don't acknowledge God's exists, doesn't mean He isn't real.

You use transcendent things like logic all the time, it doesn't matter if you believe in or /acknowledge it or not.

• Half banana
    Half banana

@ Deputy Dog--not trying to create an argument here but I have to disagree with your labelling 'logic' as a transcendental matter.

At its popular meaning it has to do with reason and consequences and at the more technical level within philosophy it refers to something about which there cannot be argument. In neither case is there room for a transcendental or spiritual dimension.

The reason being that spiritual things by nature have no tangible or concrete evidence for them and therefore cannot form the basis from which logical conclusions can be drawn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit