How much longer before the majority figure out the bible is not from God?

by I believe in overlapping 25 Replies latest social current

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

In 1900 the estimated population of the world was 1,610,625,741

The population of Christians worldwide was around 34.5% of world population.

The population of Atheist was -% or not even 1% of the world population.

Though there were some atheist, the number was insignificant.

In the 1980s something significant started happening.

In the United States, one of the most religious countries in the world, a new group of people started to make its debut. For the first time there were now 10% of those between the ages of 18-29 who were claiming to be Atheist.

These individuals had examined the bible and had come to the conclusion that the bible was Not a book inspired by God, instead it was very obvious that it was a book of fantasy made up stories by ancient superstitious people who were living in one the most ignorant times in human history.

What led to this?

The internet now made the bible available FREE, and with the click of the mouse you could pick one of the many different versions available online for reading and studying.

At the same time, there were now available tons of resources of critical analysis of bible stories and dogma by known bible scholars who were starting to debunk some to the biblical stories like Noah’s flood.

By 1996; ten years after that new group of Atheist made its appearance, the number of Atheist had climbed to 20% The number had doubled in just ten years.

By 2016 almost 40% of Americans under 30 are now non-religious. This community is the fastest growing religious demographic in all 50 states.

Major reasons for this change of view towards the bible is the internet which allows free access to critical review of this ancient book, “Bible” which has been revered by people who had no access to a bible because religious leaders fought hard to keep it out of the hands common people.

Another obstacle that kept people from seeing the truth about the bible was that most of the world population was illiterate.

But the world scene has changed. Those under 30 and under are raising children to the truth that the bible is just a fantasy book that is really worthless and has been a cause for much division and harm among humans and their families.

The next generation will see the percentage of people who reject the bible grow over the 50% mark of the population in the USA.

What this means is that at some point, the politicians of the USA will see the futility of allowing churches to be TAX EXEMPT.

And eventually the majority of people will become secularized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZAYgovau0&t=

https://www.atheists.org/

• jws
    jws

It troubles me that people often conflate the "not any particular religion" with being atheist. Unfortunately it's not at all the same thing. Some are still generally Christian. They just don't go to a particular sect's churches. Yet still believe there's a God and a heaven and hell.

Yet others may not believe in the BIble, but then they believe in some sort of goofy higher power or crystal power or some other form of woo. Which hardly is the intellectual conclusion and awakening we're hoping for among the population.

I do believe the numbers will go up. I believe it will reach a tipping point. That children growing up will feel as though religion is the strange thing and that peer pressure will allow them to see how silly religious beliefs are.

I'm still not on the complete atheist side. I do not believe in the bible or quran or any other supernatural BS. But, depending on what you define as a god, in a completely natural context, I might agree that's possible. If you want to define "god" as potentially some form of intelligent life that seeded this planet, I'm not going to rule it out. Not going to say it had to happen that way, but I'll leave it open as a possibility. I don't believe you can say it's impossible. For all we know, life on earth began as an alien sneezed life into a pool of water. In the atheist community, it's always said that it's hard to prove a negative. You can't prove Russell's teapot does not exist. That's why I stop short of definites and don't call myself an atheist. Agnostic, but not atheist. Even though I'm essentially the same as far as my view of religion.

• blondie
    blondie

Considering how many people cannot believe that some humans are not to be trusted with clear evidence, people they can see, hear, see film of them lying, I am not surprised that some people will still cling to religion despite everything.

• Half banana
    Half banana

jws said "You can't prove that Russell's tea-pot does not exist". Correct but Bertrand Russell surely intended the absurdity of finding a tea-pot orbiting Earth was by nature an extreme improbability. Isn't that as true for a creator god or the existence of any god? So improbable as not to be true.

I find it interesting that in the USA the tendency of atheists is to want to form an anti-god community and be proud to wear the badge of an Atheist with a capital A. Perhaps in an essentially religious land this polarising is a natural consequence of waking up to the God delusion as Dawkins put it. It is a bit like us ex-JWs still harping on about the religion which trapped us and wasted our time.

Humanism is a better alternative because it addresses limiting religious privilege and working for the interests of humanity. Capital A atheism simply points to the egos of the holders of the title-- but each to their own.

When will the world wake up? Well in USA they are rapidly realising that the BIble is not divine instruction for mankind. Growth in Christianity is now mainly in the hands of the Charismatics and Evangelicals, historically conventional churches are declining.

I was looking at demographic maps of believers in the UK (2014) --and it is the cities where immigrant Muslims live which are the remaining bastions of religious belief. So even if they are waking up from the Christian dream, it is the fused political, ethnic and religious obligation to worship and believe the Koran which is numerically supplanting and overtaking Christian belief.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/datablog/gallery/2014/jul/03/where-atheists-live-maps-uk-godless-cities-religion-census-data-viz

• Onager
    Onager
    Half banana
    I find it interesting that in the USA the tendency of atheists is to want to form an anti-god community and be proud to wear a badge of an Atheist capitalised.

I don't think that is a USA phenomenon, but a human one generally. There just happen to be a greater number of atheists identifiable as American, because there are so many Americans!

• Half banana
    Half banana

Probably so Onager but I understand there are atheist groups in USA but no such communities in Britain. None on the internet that I have found so far.

How about a news headline: Russell's orbiting tea-pot dicovered!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think the O.P makes a good point about the availability and usage of the Internet having a huge effect upon people's thinking.

Even those believers not actually inclined to question their beliefs, when confronted with a challenge from the non Theist or non believer will go to the Net to check for Info. as it is so easy to do so.

With Education, via the net eventually becoming a Worldwide thing, believers to a degree, and supporters of Religion, to a greater degree, will decline dramatically. We have seen this in the USA and Europe, more people are of " No Religion" than ever before, some still believe in some way, a good percentage are Atheists.

We can expect a fight back from Organized Religion, their business is being threatened. Their best argument is spouted by the Church of England ( and others) that Science ( i.e Truth) explains the "How", Religion explains the "Why". Of course their explanations of the "Why" are not Scientific, but pure fantasy.

Many people will come to the conclusion that not just the Bible, but all Religion is from Man.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Science hits the coffin nail again and again on religions. Science proves this universe Existed for several billion years. This makes the creation story of the Bible silly and childish.

Earth was created first and then the stars....the whole creation happened in 6 days. Sun stood still... Fatal diseases can be cured by sprinkling blood.... Sin is the cause of diseases.... Demon Posessions (Science proves they are mental disorders)...OOps and then the Talking snake and Donkey.

Atheists would form Exponentiallty but the religions would always be there, atleast in the minority.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    I'm still not on the complete atheist side. I do not believe in the bible or quran or any other supernatural BS. But, depending on what you define as a god, in a completely natural context, I might agree that's possible. If you want to define "god" as potentially some form of intelligent life that seeded this planet, I'm not going to rule it out. Not going to say it had to happen that way, but I'll leave it open as a possibility. I don't believe you can say it's impossible.

Well then, you are an atheist. I'm an atheist too, and i'm open to the possibility that there some sort of God out there. Being an atheist is not really making a claim that there is not God for sure, as then you have to support the claim with evidence.

Being an atheist is simply not being convinced that there is a god, despite understanding the possibility.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I believe in overlapping - "How much longer before the majority figure out the Bible is not from God?"

Feeling a tad impatient?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit