OF DOGS AND BITES AND BIKES AND THINGS

by Terry 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry

The thought suddenly struck me plain and obvious: "These dogs won't stop until I'm good and bloody."

There were two of them; a mixed breed of Boxer and Pit Bull; clean, white--collared, tagged and--for some inexplicable reason, ferociously intent on tearing me to shreds!

Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself. . .

____________________.

I've been riding a bike to the exclusion of driving a car for well over a year now and I've never had any problems with dogs. Sure, I've had a bike stolen; I've had cars almost hit me; I've had broken glass, thorns, nails, badly tended roads to contend with--but, never any dogs.

All that ended on Saturday morning at 8:30 am.

I had just begun my ride and had not gone 50 feet when the first dog ran out of a yard up ahead of me. It was unusually aggressive right away. I immediately came to a full stop right in the middle of the street. I dropped my hands to my sides.
    I calculated the chances of going faster than the dog could run and decided I'd hate to lose because of having my tires bitten.
    I was going to allow the dog to sniff me and decide I was no threat or intruder.
    That's when the companion dog--probably a sibling--suddenly shot out into the street and approached from my opposite side.

An abiding wariness filled me with dread. These animals weren't curious. They weren't warning me off. I was some kind of opportunity for aggressive demonstration of punishment on their part!

I stayed frozen, making no moves at all.

That's when the first dog lunged at my leg and punctured my bare flesh with its teeth.

Yeah, it hurt and scared me all in the same instant!

Plans changed!

The other dog on my opposite side was half jumping up at me and caught the side of my arm with a bared fang. Now I was bleeding from the leg and the opposite arm.

This situation was spiraling out of control alarmingly fast!

Before I could do much of anything, I started yelling for somebody to come out and do something. That wasn't going to happen, it was too early on a weekend for heroes or owners.
    The first dog bore in again and caught me good on the same leg and tore two stripes of blood and ramped up its snarling.

I had an important decision to make--and to make very fast!

I carry a pocket knife with a small but sharp blade. I decided emphatically, it would be the wrong thing to do to start dueling, stabbing, slashing with two dogs. No--I'd need to act defensively and it had to be exactly the right defense.

I jumped off my bike and lifted it in such a way I could swing it around from side to side, fending off the two beasts and providing a moving shield. This did NOT discourage the attacks. It intensified the instincts of these two animals. I could easily sense the oppositional nature of my situation fed into their breeding. Theirs was to overcome fight response and defense of any prey by sheer force of aggression.

I had to wield the bicycle very fast, side to side or the one and then the other could time their spirited incursion inside my arc of defense and tear at my bare legs, (I wore shorts) and go for my most tender areas of unprotected flesh!
    I did this by going in a full circle every now and then, unpredictably, to throw off their timing of advance, parry and thrust.

At about the three-minute mark of this terrifying battle, the moment of clarity arrive without rebuttal: I was going to have to get away or I would surely lose--and losing wasn't an option I could risk.
    Had I been out for a walk, I'd have had no defense possible! I can only guess the extent of the damage they'd have ravaged me with in the heat of hot blood and instinct and the smell of blood.

The adrenaline was pumping insanely inside my bloodstream in an electrifying LIFE OR DEATH scenario I fully remembered feeling, from an assault I'd suffered in prison, all those many years ago. What a rotten mess this was--and I had no time to bemoan my fate!

I began inching backward, as best I could manage while summoning whatever strength I had remaining. Side to side, circling-- backing up--thrusting the bike and blocking the teeth-- the coordinated pack stratagems of an inevitable, weird, evolutionary choreography, it continued.

Fairly exhausted and ready to faint from adrenal overwhelm, I blocked off the entrance inside the narrow passage which led to my new front door, inside a small courtyard. The yapping, snarling, surly, fang-baring duo were not amused. It was all I could do to hold that passage like some latter day Spartan, bleeding at Thermopylae in ancient millennia.

Then, just as quickly as it had begun--it was over!

A kind of uncontrollable trembling had seized my legs, arms and body with muscle spasms rendering me all but helpless. I was not unlike a very drunken man trying to steady myself as I staggered to the door. Now I couldn't guide the key in my wavering hand into the slit of a keyhole no matter how hard I concentrated.
    I stopped and whispered, "It is all over--breathe! Breathe!" I sucked in deep lungfuls of air and held it before slowly exhaling.
    A minute or so later, I was inside.
    I tended my bites with hydrogen peroxide, then I applied a thick coating of antibiotic cream to the affected area. I didn't sit down. If I had--I'd not have been able to get up again.
    In less than five minutes, I had full possession of my senses. I determined to go back out and ride the opposite way on the street. I had a plan. I'd simply ignore my terror and not wallow in the incident or become entrapped by the rushing emotions of it all. This was nothing but rotten luck and a bad dog owner. I got caught in the cross-hairs of bad timing. That is ALL it amounted to.

So, I rode to the closest Starbucks and connected up to the Wi-Fi and found the website for reporting animal bites and loose dogs. I filled out and submitted the form.

Within an hour, I was sitting with Officer Garner of Animal Control. I answered his questions, signed the legal form, and let him photograph my bites. He immediately set off across the street and confronted the dog owner where he lectured him on the seriousness of the incident. The dogs would be quarantined for ten days. He'd be fined $$. And so on . . .

Later, my daughter Lily, drove over from Dallas and spent a lovely afternoon with me. I hadn't seen her since Father's Day. It was a wonderful, calming surprise. The visit was a perfect counter-balance to the odious beginning of my day.

All in all, I count the day as a big Win. I set out, dealt with an obstacle, resolved the problem, set in motion the solution--and had a great visit with my daughter.

I'm glad homo sapiens have reached the top of the food chain. I'd hate to think what my ancestors faced clawing their way through predators to arrive at the summit.
    I imagine I had a wee small taste of that grand adventure:)

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    The horror! People with pitbull types who cant control them are IDIOTS!! I was attacked by 2 dogs who dragged the owner along the path on his stomach while chasing me and my 2 dogs...what a stupid man...the should do jail time for assault.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I must ride a bit faster then you, Terry. I had two come after me just today on a long ride. I sped up and kicked the shit out of the first one that got close enough for me to pile drive with my cleats. He left bloody and whining like a puppy.

Seriously though, I'm glad you're okay and glad that you reported the incident to authorities. Terry's life matters!

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

So glad you escaped and were able to report to the police! Horrible and terrifying incident!!!

Marina

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Terry, that is an awful experience. My heart started racing when I was reading your experience. I don't ride a bike but I jog in the early morning in a park. About 4 months ago I was attacked by five dogs that were running loose. This was around 5:30 am and there was no one around to help me. Fortunately I was close to my truck and the door was open, so I escaped. I haven't jogged since because the experience scared the hoots out of me.

But it did get me to thinking since I love jogging in the early morning and I don't want to give it up.But I won't go without protection ever again. I decided to buy a small gun. So I'm saving the money to buy a Glock and carry it with me when I jog. I am going to take a lot of training, get a permit and when I'm ready, hopefully next summer, I'm going jogging again in the early morning.

Let those dogs come.

• Listener
    Listener
    That's awful Terry. It's not enough that the dogs will be quarantined for ten days and the owner fined. Can you make a small claim out of it and take him to court? It is not a difficult thing to do yourself without the need for a lawyer.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Jesus! A gun?

Pepper spray! It incapacitates the dog enough for you to get away and is harmless long term.

Let me tell you a story about my husband biking. He was close to home, but a big dog ran out towards him from someone's yard so he sprayed it with pepper spray.

The dog went yelping back towards its house, so my husband slowed down and saw the owner let it into the house. He decided to go back and tell the lady what he had done so she could know what happened and to wash the dog's eyes out.

Well, when he told the lady, she started screaming at him that he had hurt her dog and he tried to explain that the dog had come chasing after him on his bike and he was protecting himself.

Finally, he hears a man's voice scream, " What the hell, Mary!?! I told you not to let the dog get out of the damn house, again!"

When the husband came around from the backyard, my hubby said, "Look, man, your dog came after me, so I sprayed it with pepper spray. Just wanted to let you know to wash its eyes out with water."

"It's alright, dude," the guy said and continued screaming at his wife about how stupid she was to let the dog get out and what a liability that could be if that guy had got bitten and you'd better be damned glad that he only sprayed it with pepper spray, etc.

So, my husband came home, which was just around the corner and was shaken up, but he said for how well his concern over the dog was taken, next time he would just spray the dog and keep on pedaling.

--------------

Terry, keep an eye on those bites for infection. Puncture wounds are very deep and a dog's mouth is full of bacteria.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    At least the situation allowed you to work on your creative writing.
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away

So glad you are all OK! My dog was bitten, shaken three times and thrown on her back by a larger dog this spring. It was a yellow lab, and he was going for her stomach when the owner called him off. My dog was on our property and on a lead. This owner allowed his two dogs to roam free. I reported the incident to the police.

My husband and I did a lot of bicycling years ago. We always carried air horns like the ones used on boats for safety. Wait until the dog gets fairly close. One blast will do. It stops even large angry dogs in their tracks. I've started carrying an air horn again. No need for a gun.

• Terry
    Terry

I was simply and stupidly unprepared.

I won't be unprepared a second time.

I have a kid's water gun filled with ammonia. A dog's sense of smell is about 40 times greater than a human's. One squirt on the end of their snout should render them useless.

But. . .

Just in case, I now carry--for extreme life and death attacks, a very long and vicious folding knife (totally legal).

It won't be a first resort; only a last resort.

Thanks for everybody's kind words and admonitions. I appreciate it.

LIVE AND LEARN!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit