Did they use to applaud after reinstatement after being Disfellowshipped, but then it stopped?

by ThomasCovenant 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Spontaneous expressions of happiness undermine the programming.

It does not compute.

*/ syntax error / *

*/ syntax error / *

*/ syntax error / *

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I and others have commented on this numerous times.

At one time, many years ago, everyone clapped.

The whole thing changed in the 1980's, early 1990's (?) or so when there seemed to be a lot of people who would commit adultery with someone else in the congregation, get DF'd, remarry, then get reinstated a year or so later.

The "innocent" person(s) may still be in the congregation when the reinstatement was read, people clapped and later everyone went over to hug and kiss the ones reinstated.

Obviously, no matter how you look at things, not a happy situation. The order from the top was to stop the clapping in respect of the innocent party(s).

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    RubaDub: The order from the top was to stop the clapping in respect of the innocent party(s).

Now the JW leadership can give a rat's ass about the innocent party and now say..."Oh, what the hell go ahead and clap"!

This organization is a joke in their own right!🤣

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RUB A DUB:

I also saw a few instances of brothers who divorced their wives and came back with a younger and prettier wife.

This was the Witness recipe of ‘how to do it’. A man wants what he wants and let everybody’s opinion be damned.

• Incognito
    Incognito

As I recall, applauding someone's reinstatement was deemed not appropriate since the person would not need to be reinstated if they had not first committed a sin which they were unrepentant for doing which resulted in them becoming disfellowshipped.

'Returning to Jehovah' is an automatic expectation and duty which WT considers the reinstated person should not be praised for doing.

The other reason I recall is so as to not elevate the importance of any individual. Similar to not celebrating someone's birthday, no human is to be elevated and praised above any other human. (Right!! Are not Pioneers, Elders, COs etc elevated above R&F JWs?)

While the Bible provides an example in the parable of the Prodigal son, the father forgave the wayward son and was excited with the sons return after a long absence, holding a feast in the son's honor, even as the father had not yet established the reason for the son's return.

WT disregards various bible examples of kindness, tolerance and loving behaviour when convenient to WT's agenda.

• Listener
    Listener
    New GB members have new ideas that they feel are so important they need to be implemented regardless of consistency. It's a pity they do not have this view in more important matters.
  • belogical
    belogical

yes you can spread the clap

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Incognito - "WT disregards various Bible examples of kindness, tolerance, and loving behavior..."

It sure seems to find examples of ruthlessness, condemnation, and legalism useful, though.

• RolRod
    RolRod

Yep, it was still being done in the 1980s. They use to also announce a disfellowshipping in ALL congregations in the district, not just in the home congregation, as well as announce what the reason for.

• orbison11
    orbison11

I recall the reason to stop clapping was because they were only doING what they should be doing. I was new.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit