Did they use to applaud after reinstatement after being Disfellowshipped, but then it stopped?

by ThomasCovenant 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I don't remember disfellowshippings happening very often and announcements about being re instated but I think I remember that we used to clap hands if someone came back after being disfellowshipped.

But then I think clapping wasn't allowed.

Am I correct in my recollections?

What happens now?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes, this is one of the things they have flip flopped on. Whether you are supposed to feel that clapping is Christian and appropriate, or undignified and may “stumble” others, depends on what the latest elder letter has told you should be your emotional and physical reaction in the situation. I can’t remember what the latest iteration is.

Watchtower isn’t wrong that there are potentially complex issues involved in such situations, and they’ve made a valid point that a victim of the circumstances involved in the case may be hurt by applause. (On the other hand, potentially not, if someone was disfellowshipped for smoking, for example.) However they simply cannot resist their compulsion to micromanage situations and even prescribe the emotions you should be feeling when faced with complex issues that legitimately prompt a range of responses.

Not to mention that Watchtower shunning is bogus to begin with and in my opinion the best response would be to reject the system of shunning rather than clapping when sanctions have been lifted.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

You are correct. At one time when they were announcing the reinstatement of somebody they would first announce, "due to the seriousness of the matter we ask that you do not clap after the following announcement", or something like that.

LRG

• Earnest
    Earnest

In the Kingdom Ministry of February, 2000 this question was discussed. It quoted The Watchtower of October 1, 1998, p.17 which said :

“We must remember, however, that most in the congregation are not aware of the particular circumstances that led to a person’s expulsion or to his reinstatement. In addition, there may be some who have been personally affected or hurt​—perhaps even on a long-term basis—​by the wrongdoing of the repentant one. Being sensitive to such matters, therefore, when an announcement of reinstatement is made, we would understandably withhold expressions of welcome until such can be made on a personal basis.”

The conclusion was that applause at the time of reinstatement would not be appropriate.

You may also be interested that on the Theocratic Ministry School and Service Meeting (and, presumably, their current counterparts) there are no rules forbidding applause if it is done spontaneously, but we normally do not applaud each presentation.

This was clarified in the Kingdom Ministry of April, 1972 and confirmed in the Kingdom Ministry of May, 2008.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Earnest, from the Watchtower May 2016 “spontaneous” applause of reinstatement is now allowed.

When someone is reinstated in the congregation, we have good reason to rejoice. The person will have to keep on maintaining his integrity to God, but he had to be repentant in order to be reinstated, and we are glad that he repented. Accordingly, there may well be spontaneous, dignified applause when the elders make an announcement of a reinstatement.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-may-2016/questions-from-readers/

Elder letter announcing the “adjustment” here:

https://imgur.com/8Ay0P1R

This is apparently their latest statement on the matter, but perhaps not the last.

• minimus
    minimus

Earnest, I’m surprised you are spouting out “old light”.

• careful
    careful

Just ask David Splane, "Here's what we believe ..."

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

However, according to Jesus the Angels still cry out in joy when a lost sheep returns to the fold.

The real reason the clapping stopped was that even though say, the person was a child molester but liked in the kingdom hall the victims might feel kinda bad if now this guy was back in action....we don't want to upset anyone now do we.

• tiki
    tiki

Clap...don't clap. New light? Light switches on and off...on again, off again. They just can't figure out what they want on so many issues....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit