When was the first time you said, "thank you for your service" to someone?

by Coded Logic 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SMIDDY:

I totally agree with what you say about JWs stand against military service in modern times as opposed to old times. Why the change? I suspect it had to do with the religion's not wanting men away for any length of time. So, they make a sweeping rule and presto - no military service for anybody.

Witnesses are ingrates and ignoramuses. If the US were not a free country they would not be able to do anything they do. The fact that so many Witnesses are so dependent on charity (thanks to their stand against careers) makes me despise them even more. I have no tolerance for them and their dysfunctional religion.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Wasanelder Once,

Do you think there are any other reasons you would be willing to use force outside of someone breaking into your house to harm you and your family?

For example, if you saw a women being raped would you attempt to stop the attacker? If you were unable to stop the attacker by yourself, would you get a group of people together to stop the attacker?

If you said yes to these - then you understand the principles of warfare.

We don't just fight wars in response to large scale attacks on our own persons or property. The US has fought wars for many reasons. Like stopping the genocide that was going on in Kosovo. Like stopping the Taliban from ruling and running terrorist operations out of Afghanistan. Or to protect a sovereign country from the invasion by it's neighbor Iraq.

Imagine if we had not fought Korean war. That too was called a "goalless battle with no purpose or end in sight". The entire Korean peninsula would now be under the control of the madman Kim Jong Un. Instead of Seoul being a city filled with prosperity and social freedoms it would instead be home to a population of starving and freedomless men, women, and children.

Imagine an Iraq still under the brutal mandates of Saddam Huessien? Or even worse - his sons!

There are many reasons we fight wars. A country doesn't have to bomb Pearl Harbor of fly planes into the Twin Towers for us to find force a necessary evil to stop an even greater injustice.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Codedlogic, so who picks which genocide to go to war over? There are currently 9 countries experiencing genocide. http://genocidewatch.net/alerts-2/new-alerts/

Which country is responsible to send their sons and daughters to die? Should I send the son or daughter I gave life to? They should die by the bullet of some ignorant warlord? All that love and life invested should be ended to do some altruistic bullshit that will continue either way because there is no money to be made in doing it right? I have no faith in the hereafter so this is it. You die, end of experiences. Show over.

In the U.S. we currently have a volunteer army. Basically they are seeking a job, though some really want to serve their country. The problem is they are paid to kill for the powers that be. Do as you wish. I cannot thank them for their service.

Vietnam? Who fought in Vietnam? Who benefited from that debacle? I was never in danger from the North Vietnamese. These gleaming heroes fought a war where they had to request permission to shoot. Not only was it a worthless endeavor but the U.S army draft was rigged against those less affluent. I'm sure many of those legless African American vets don't feel like heroes because they were targeted in the draft and knew they were cannon fodder. They didn't fight to win, they fought merely to survive.

"The draft did pose a major concern. Selective Service regulations offered deferments for college attendance and a variety of essential civilian occupations that favored middle- and upper- class whites. The vast majority of draftees were poor, under-educated, and urban—blue-collar workers or unemployed. This reality struck hard in the African American community. Furthermore, African Americans were woefully underrepresented on local draft boards; in 1966 blacks accounted for slightly more than 1 percent of all draft board members, and seven state boards had no black representation at all."

Because you hug them and I don't, it doesn't mean I don't feel pity for the mess they either willing or unwillingly ended up in.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

My dads cousin was a spitfire pilot. ( He was killed) my thank you was learning about him in a scrapbook of photos and a story of his life my dad made, and passed down to me. Also on the embankment, ( The river that runs through central London) is a monument and his name is on it.

• Simon
    Simon
    Imagine an Iraq still under the brutal mandates of Saddam Huessien? Or even worse - his sons!

Don't prop up dictatorships and barbaric regimes. Don't sell them arms and weapons to fight proxy wars. Anything they do is on your hands.

I agree with Wasanelder Once - rather than the empty platitudes I think it's better to think carefully before supporting and sending people off to fight, especially for purely ideological reasons.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The 60's and 70's were difficult times. I was drafted, dropped out of college and Uncle Sam called me., no idea where Vietnam was located.Graduated from high school 1965 in Nam 1967. My friends some join the Black Muslim, Black Panthers, Us organization (my wife today one of the original members),one moved to Canada. The funny thing about my friends the ones that escaped the draft went on to graduate from college, two became college professor, one became a dentist, one a doctor most were successful...The weekend before reporting to the draft board or the induction center I was invited to a party by one of the organization I mention above, it was a introduction to get new members...I was confused, should I move to Canada or some other country or serve my country that treat me like sh---t. Well the friends that escaped the draft took advantage of programs for the under privilege to enroll in a major college or university, there were programs in the 60's and 70's for blacks to move up in work force. So what does this have to do with serving in the military, I have know idea.....

• kairos
    kairos

For as long as I can remember while an active JW, I would always go out of my way to thank police, fire and military whenever I saw them. I would get teary eyed on occasion.

Much to the astonishment, discomfort and silence of all JWs that saw me do this.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    So who picks which genocide to go to war over?

Here in the US, the President is our Commander in Chief and has full control over our armed forces outside of the United States. Their use of this power is checked by the US Congress who can make declarations of war.

Other countries have different decision making process'.

Which country is responsible to send their sons and daughters to die?

Whichever country is willing to stand up against genocide. For example, those currently in the coalition against ISIS include Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Qatar, Iraq, Barbarian, the United Kingdom, Australia, France, Germany, Canada, the United States, and the Netherlands.

Should I send the son or daughter I gave life to?

No, this is not your decision to make. In most countries service is voluntary. And in cases where conscription occurs it is regulated by the state. Not by a persons parents.

All that love and life invested should be ended to do some altruistic bullshit that will continue either way because there is no money to be made in doing it right?

Stopping a rapist will stop the rape. But it will not stop all rapes from ever happening in the future. Likewise, wars end conflicts. They do not end all war.

And altruism is not bullshit. We are a social species. Societies that work together survive. Societies that can't work together don't survive. It is in everyone's best interest to find a way of working together in the sorts of societies that value human life, welfare, and happiness. And sometimes force is a necessary tool to use against individuals who stand opposed to human life, welfare, and happiness.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Coded, cool. You spend your life and the lives of your youngsters to stop the current rape in Africa, or the middle east or wherever. I say stop the culture that teaches that it's ok. Stop dumping billions in aid to the very same criminal countries where we prop up the dictator who later is exposed for the raping our government knew about all along. Nope, my kids will be taught not to die for bullshit governments. Our life is our own. Feel free to go rapist hunting if it makes you feel better. It's ironic that we never were put in danger of Vietnamese people until the war was over and they came to California and formed the most horrific gangs. Now they are definitely raping people. All those brave soldiers that didn't get a hug were used to make a mess and then it came back to bite us in the ass. Come to California and help prevent rapes!

"In the long-established mostly Mexican barrios along Anaheim Street, where increasing numbers of shops now display pictures of the temple of Angkor Wat, residents take refuge in their homes after dark, some turning off their lights for safety, as carloads of young men with guns cruise the streets."

"It's just like in a war zone," he said. "Everybody is scared. But you see, we Cambodians have no country to go back to. Our homeland is a war zone."

"Officer Chittapalo said Long Beach's Cambodians learned from Vietnamese gang members. "They had very good teachers who taught them very well: extortion, armed robbery, rape and other things like drive-by shootings," he said."

When you see a Vietnam vet, thank them for that. My point is, the soldier is not in charge of the war they are sent to, but they can choose whether or not to engage in a job where they kill for hire.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

In England we have Remembrance Day. This is when citizens of the country have an opportunity to buy a poppy as a symbol of remembrance, to the members of the armed forces who have died in the line of duty.

I will buy and wear my poppy with pride on Saturday, 11 November. Another great reason for leaving the Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit