When was the first time you said, "thank you for your service" to someone?

by Coded Logic 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Mine was to some random guy in uniform I saw on the street about two years ago. Even as a JW I knew that we had a lot of freedoms here in the US that were hard earned. It felt really good to finally be able to say in person to someone when I I did.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

A number of years ago when we had first made our exit from the JW's, my wife and I were driving over the Cascade mountains and at one point we were following a long convoy of camouflaged military vehicles each filled with young guys the same ages as our 2 sons, heading off for some sort of training in the eastern part of the State.

Some of the vehicles were open air and we could see the dismal expressions on the faces of the passengers as we passed. My wife and I were both apparently thinking about our own sons and what it would be like for them and us, if they were in the same position as these young men who would likely be shipped out to the middle east in the near future.

Out of the blue I started honking the horn and waving to them as we passed and my wife began tearfully blowing them kisses and saying "thank you". This was met with big smiles and enthusiastic honking and waves from the dozens of soldiers, in return as we passed.

It was a nice to see them smiling and to know that we were able, in this small way, to brighten their day a little by acknowledging them and showing them our appreciation for their sacrifices. It was also nice experience for us not to have to feel guilty about having done so, as well.

• lancelink
    lancelink

Every chance I get !

when I left the jw religion I got involved with an organization, Honor Flight, that takes WW2 veterans out to Washington DC for one day to visit their memorial.

without a doubt that was the most emotional, and in a certain way spiritual chapter of my life. I was able to go on 3 trips and they affected me greatly.

much more than knocking on doors for a religion. 😉

this is a video of one trip I was on returning back to Midway airport in Chicago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xpmbk_tIw

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

If you only knew how it felt the first time someone told me "thank you for your service". The vets that served in Viet Nam it was and is a little late but the veterans still alive appreciate it today. I was told before arriving back in the states (1968), be sure you take off your uniform before walking down the street in the good old U.S.A

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

The first time I thanked a vet for his service and reached to shake his hand he teared up. I offered a hug, and he accepted it. It was a beautiful moment I will always treasure.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have never thanked anyone in person for the sevice they perform in protecting this country Australia ,however I have always been thankful ,even when I was a JW for the service they have performed in protecting the freedoms that we all enjoy today.

I always had a problem as a witness how it was OK for jehovahs chosen people to engage in warfare up to a certain point in history and then it was not acceptable.

I was always under the belief that Jehovah God was the same yesterday as he is today and will be the same tomorrow.

Jehovah God doesnt change ------Then in other scriptures he does change -----?

The jehovahs Witnesses would not have had the freedom to preach this past 100+ years if everybody practiced what they preach and opted for conscientious objection.

If germany under Nazism and Japan under Imperialism had won the war ,the witnesses would not have had the freedom to preach as they have today..

They should be thanking the service men and women themselves..( Jehovah God didnt interfere )

Thanks coded logic , I will be mindful of that when I see a service person.

A good post.

• zeb
    zeb

A group of Australian soldiers were at the states main airport about to take off to ..? and as they came in there arose timidly at first then as a loud applause from all the other travellers and kin.

'Diggers' as they are called here are highly regarded.

Its a pity that the politicians who start the conflicts aren't the first in line to go.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

About 2 years before I left the cult. Started when giving homeless vets on the street some money.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I don't think I've gone up to anybody in uniform and thanked them for their service.

Perhaps I should ...

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

War is a reality we face in this life. When a man protects his family it is a sort of war that includes a sense of honor. When it comes to wars where the goal is simply financial or ideologically motivated, killing people in lands which have posed no threat to our "family", ie. nation, I cannot thank a soldier for their service. Can I really thank the soldier who volunteers to fight but has no compunction about the slaughter of 100's of thousands of Iraqi or Vietnamese women and children for corporations like Halliburton or big oil? It was never simply that Jehovah hates killing that tempered my opinion. Tell me please, when besides Pearl Harbor has the United States been directly attacked by another nation? Even the attack of 9/11 was not by a specific nation. I cannot be moved to thank pawns in the wars during my lifetime. If the fight were so noble, why so much mental anguish for the horrors they were subjected to, senseless slaughter of the innocent and the loss of battle buddies to the madness of goalless battles with no clear purpose or end in sight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit