The Challenges and Benefits of Home-Schooling

by pale.emperor 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I think the majority of JW's attempting to home school their kids dont have a clue what they're doing. If done correctly it can work, sure, but why do it unless you absolutely have to?

The social skills one learns in school are very important as far as im concerned. In my JW days two of my ex-girlfriends were home schooled and both had no idea how the real world worked and had this annoying sense of entitlement.

Unless you're living in a secluded location i'd choose a qualified teacher any day of the week.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

There are many homeschooling in my city. I think the increase is due to Autism or ADHD and various other disabilities. The schools here are not equipped to teach these children and they fall behind or get very anxious. Being disciplined for thinking differently to everyone else makes school a challenge for these children.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Virtually all of the school aged kids in my hall were/are homeschooled. Most of them have no social skills and would not last a day “in the world”. Maybe that is the point, to keep them dependent on the borg.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Home schooling is as effective (or not) as the quality of the teachers involved and the abilities and engagement of the students.

The problem with most JW home schoolers is that they do it for the wrong reasons--to avoid socializing with people with differing beliefs--and the lack of qualifications of the "teachers" which are often the JW kids' parents, people whom themselves are usually not highly educated.

For those interested in a deeper dive, here is a link to a very informative paper on the pros and cons of home schooling:

• HOME SCHOOLED VS. PUBLIC SCHOOLED

SPECIFIC DIFFERENCES IN THE EDUCATIONAL OUTCOMES OF THOSE STUDENTS WHO ARE HOME SCHOOLED VS. STUDENTS IN A TRADITIONAL SCHOOL SETTING by Kathi Moreau
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong with uneducated JWs educating their children in an environment that places little value on education. You mean field service and building a model of a fictional ark doesn't count as school work?

Note : My wife was home schooled and didn't graduate. My brother the same. My sister went through Penn Foster and I saw her senior level books. I went through a "traditional" public school and was doing some of her senior level work in middle school.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Even when I was a PIMI, I was dead against home schooling. I do know of a case of a single ultra pioneer mother who decided to home school her daughter.The daughter ended up falling to far behind and the state stepped in forced the mother to send the child to main stream school. Last I heard of that daughter was she was married at 18 and pregnant at 19.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I was homeschooled for the last 6 years of my primary education. I'm regularly, on the President's List at the community college I'm attending before I transfer to a University to study Electrical Engineering.

However, I believe this is despite my homeschooling, not because of it. My parents didn't do much to improve or accelerate my learning, in fact, it was basically my responsibility to teach myself and prepare my own lessons in that time period. My mother did try to use field service as a "class," one which I didn't much enjoy.

For my high school years, I was given a Penn Foster Curriculum which was incredibly simplistic and didn't challenge me at all. When I did finally start college (of my own initiative and without much help from my parents) I had a lot of acclimating to do. The first thing I had to work on was my math skills, my arithmetic was nearly flawless (which I had learned well in public school), but the algebra that I attempted to teach myself was severely lacking for any college-level course, so I had to go back and relearn most of it

Two years later I'm finally at the upper levels of Calculus and will soon move to Differential Equations. I'm on track to achieve my goals now, but homeschooling definitely set me back.

• Simon
    Simon

Most of the people who want to home-school their children also match the set of people least capable of properly educating a child.

Home schooled usually means poorly educated but thoroughly indoctrinated idiot.

• undercover
    undercover

JWs love home schooling. They can indoctrinate during their school classes/work, just as they can any other time. And it carries over in all aspects.

In my home town, the local home schoolers (somehow organized through the state or something, not sure how it worked) staged a play and all parents/families/friends were invited to attend. Much like going to a play at a real school. I went, invited because my nephew was home schooled, and in the play. Come to find out, when I got there, 80% or more of the kids were JW kids. So the audience was roughly 80% JW. My brother, nephew's father, was invited to attend of course. However - he's DFd. He was shunned by all the other JW parents in attendance. I and a couple of non-JWs were the only ones to have a conversation with him.

It was surreal. Typical parents cheering their kids on, joyful before and after the performance, yet making it clear that this one father was unwelcome and unliked. One child tried to speak to him, but was dragged away by a parent and scolded for talking to the DFd man.

Now, that's the kind of environment I don't want my kids in...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit