The Challenges and Benefits of Home-Schooling

by pale.emperor 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

A pro JW forum. Interesting reading, very one sided of course:

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/23726-the-challenges-and-benefits-of-home-schooling/

This is my fave comment:

Well I got taken to court about homeschooling my children and the court ruled that since I didn't go to college to be a teacher then I didn't qualify to teach my children at home.

This was in the early 90's. But the problem too was that apostate literature was presented in the court to make me look very bad. So I had many things going against me, it was a 5yr battle.

I've tried to get an account on this site, but they make you answer JW questions as part of the sign up process. THEN it has to be manually approved. I indeed to pretend to be a zealous JW on there while slowly dripping questions that are just "stumbling me".

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Oh gosh, what were the JW questions they screened you with?!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I was asked for an explanation of the lesson in John 8:44 "in my own words".

Asked what the name of the book we study prior to baptism.

Asked what question #16 is in the 2nd part of the appendix of that book.

I answered them all, but im still awaiting my verification.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

pale.emperor: This is my fave comment: Well I got taken to court about homeschooling my children and the court ruled that since I didn't go to college to be a teacher then I didn't qualify to teach my children at home. This was in the early 90's. But the problem too was that apostate literature was presented in the court to make me look very bad. So I had many things going against me, it was a 5yr battle.

I'm wary of home schooling - partly because often, but not always, parent's appear to try to do it on the cheap - but it also depends on the local public/state-run schools

I think the fuller quote from the OP is much more interesting - both about home schooling (elementary school age), and about why pale.emperor apparently choose to quote-mine as he did:

Well I got taken to court about homeschooling my children and the court ruled that since I didn't go to college to be a teacher then I didn't qualify to teach my children at home.

When I started High School I was in all the honorary classes and I went to college and High School at the same time. My goal was to go to UC Davis and become a vetrinarian and since it takes approx. 10yrs I wanted to get a head start.

Due to circumstances my college fund was spent by my step-mother and I was thrown out of the house the year I graduated from High School.

Therefore I married an older man that turned out to be gay and we went through a nasty divorce. My children were reading by the time they were 3 and 4yrs old and had Bible reading parts on the school before they turned 5yrs old. I made my own reading books when they were between 2 and 3.

So even though my kids were still elementary school age, I was not qualified to homeschool them from the court's perspective.

When my kids went back to public school they were so far ahead of the class that the teachers used them as aids. They didn't learn a thing in public school.

Also my worldly parents were against me saying that my children wouldn't be socialized properly, etc. So I had my own family against me.

I used to be defensive because of what I went through but now of course my kids are adults, I have seen both sides of the coin.

I have seen really good parents teach their children and I have seen ones just leave it up to the child to finish their books and of course the child doesn't finish the required curriculum. But that happens in public school too and really each time it comes down to the parents involvement.

I think the parent that is involved with their children are most likely to be on the defensive because they are putting in the time, energy and mental preparation that it takes and they see the results compared to their children's peers.

Home Schooling is trendy - it was featured last year in a big article in the glossy Sunday Times magazine - How the rich home-school their kids - Sunday 24 July 2016 - click here

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

in the UK home schooling=no schooling. its just a trendy fad used mainly by young single mothers who are too lazy to get their arse out of bed and drag their brats to school.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

stan livedeath: in the UK home schooling=no schooling. its just a trendy fad used mainly by young single mothers who are too lazy to get their arse out of bed and drag their brats to school.

in the UK home schooling=£30,000 to £40,000-per-year. When done properly - the problem is when it's not done properly.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

If done right, home schooling can work for some. It was not an option for us.

We have family members and friends who have home schooled and are still home schooling (all JW's). The trend I see with the JW's is public/private school cramps their style. They like to travel and have a flexible schedule. They also do not like to get the kids up and ready for school. Let's face it, school is a lot of work for parents as well. School shopping, packing lunches, help with homework, getting the kids up early and on the bus or driving them, etc. One of our friends kid came home and said a bad word and they had the kid home schooling toot sweet. What do you think, your kids are never going to hear a naughty word in life? They will hear it at their job. You can't hide your kids away from the world. They will not be able to handle anything when they get out in it.

Everyone has to do what works best for them but home schooling was not an option for us.

• sir82
    sir82

In my limited experience....

Home-schooled JWs are the most messed up, wacko, emotionally / socially stunted JWs in existence.

The dingleberries who contribute to JWTalk are also messed up, wacko, emotionally / socially stunted JWs.

It's hardly surprising that they endorse home-schooling.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We tried it in the early years for a while but sent the kids to public school when we moved into a safer school district. They excelled among their peers and were even advanced grades (which can cause socialization issues). All graduated high in their class and got excellent scores on their ACT and all went to college. (Rebel JW parents.)

Of all the JW home-schooled kids that I know, all are "losers". No advanced education. Social retards. Working with their hands vs. their heads (and nothing wrong with that) and most struggling along in life financially. But they might be in that same predicament even if they had not bee home-schooled. Unfortunately, most of the time "home-schooling" means "NO-schooling" as JW parents consider Field Circus as "field trips" or "nature walks" and "studying" the dumbed-down JW pubs as "class work". The "Armageddon is right around the corner" mentality has caused many who were raised as JWs to be disadvantaged in life.

Image result for armageddon is right around the corner

If you want to do your school age kids a favor, buy (or rent) a home in the best school district that you can afford to move into. Even if it's the smallest home or apartment. The quality of the school district and the influence of their peers makes a huge difference.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

spil---in the UK home schooling=£30,000 to £40,000-per-year.

ha ha--i dont think their social security benefits will quite stretch that far. after paying for their latest tattoos and vapes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit