Anti-Gay Cartoon Still Making Rounds: George Takei weighs in

by freemindfade 38 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    There is an extremely strong generational aspect to attitudes to homosexuality. So while it's true that many older JWs will think this video is perfectly fair and normal, many under 30 or even 40 will no doubt feel embarrassed and ashamed to varying degrees.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I agree.
  • littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Unless you live in Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi or Tennessee.

LRG

• undercover
    undercover

and don't forget good ole 'we hate transgenders' North Carolina

(disclaimer: not everyone in NC is agreement with HB2, but the politicians are playing to the conservative fundamentalists that vote them in, even to the point of fighting the federal government. What was once the most progressive state of the old Confederacy, now, thanks to the politicians in Raleigh, acts like they want to be seen as an independent state, free of federal influence or oversight. It's 1860 all over again, this time over LGBT rights instead of slavery)

This WTS video seems like it will play well with older conservatives and fundies, but to younger, more progressive folks, it's a shameful video. That's why George Takai linked to it, expressing concern.

• undercover
    undercover

and don't forget good ole 'we hate transgenders' North Carolina

(disclaimer: not everyone in NC is agreement with HB2, but the politicians are playing to the conservative fundamentalists that vote them in, even to the point of fighting the federal government. What was once the most progressive state of the old Confederacy, now, thanks to the politicians in Raleigh, acts like they want to be seen as an independent state, free of federal influence or oversight. It's 1860 all over again, this time over LGBT rights instead of slavery)

This WTS video seems like it will play well with older conservatives and fundies, but to younger, more progressive folks, it's a shameful video. That's why George Takai linked to it, expressing concern.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

GrreatTeacher - "...I've known kids who grew up JWs when I did and told me they never really paid attention at the meetings and didn't really understand the teachings... With all of this direct-to-children advertisement, it seems unlikely that that could ever happen again."

Which is why they're doing it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simon - "...one can predict the likely outcome of a sports game but that doesn't mean you therefore support a particular team. So can we drop this nonsensical 'if you don't agree that this will be the end of the WTS therefore you must support them' crap once and for all?..."

Spoilsport. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Is it me but have you notice the media lately especially commercials, interracial couples and gay

couples. The media is very powerful. That's why I have high hopes for mankind..

In the 70's talks shows were flooded with racial hate groups, the more you were expose to

their hate speech the more you could see their stupidity. We see the same with gays to day,

the WT is out of touch with todays society, more like folks in the OT.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

James Mixon - "...the more you were expose to their hate speech, the more you could see their stupidity..."

Yup.

Stephen Colbert is a genius. :smirk:x

Know what's even funnier?

The real hard-core bigots who spew that shit - the True Believers - are usually too dumb to realize...

...that seeing their bigotry all hang out is probably the best inoculation (against said bigotry) the next generation could possibly receive. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit