Anti-Gay Cartoon Still Making Rounds: George Takei weighs in

by freemindfade 38 Replies latest social current

• talesin
    talesin
    initially no, but those who work with or go to school with the LBGT community may have to have uncomfortable discussions about this. They may not feel as passive towards witnesses as they once did. Because it isn't a watchtower quote about god not approving of homosexuality, its a cartoon that addresses gay marriage in a specific way.
    By putting this in a cartoon, they have chosen a very offensive medium (kids cartoon) for delivering their doctrine, also one that is easily spread. I don't care what HQ thinks about it or most R&F, I like to think that those who would normally say they know witnesses and they never hurt anybody start to see witnesses as more overtly harmful going forward.

I've been reading most of the articles posted in news and blogs (certainly, all links I can find on this forum, and others). Most stories are repetitive, but the Comments sections show a sometimes visceral reaction. You, fmf, have already described how some folks (gay, some nongay Xtians) are reacting. Some are okay with it, others are horrified. Yes, the message of this video is waking up some 'worldly' people to the insidious evil that is JW.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Vidiot:

Thank you for the education; Poe's Law is new to me.

Why must one inform the reader of one's foray into parody (it takes some intelligence and tongue-in-cheek acumen to pull this off) that one is being ironical and not sarcastic? Just like the disclaimer 'no pun intended' when, truly, there is. No need to explain. Let the reader draw his own conclusions.

More on DA:

The term had its origin, as mentioned earlier, in the RCC where the advocate for the devil presents arguments against the canonization of a saint; he, advocate, is "the blackener of the good." [Fowler]

The term is now used -- quite incorrectly by people in general -- to mean advocating a bad cause or injuring a cause by endorsing it. Sadly, these egregious usages have become accepted. -- A DICTIONARY OF CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN USAGE, Evans and Evans, page 133

What a world! What a world! Who would have thought all my deliciously correct speech could be destroyed by the acceptance, as standard, of grammatical and literary error?

Is this where I insert a smiley?!?!?!?

CC

• talesin
    talesin
    The term is now used -- quite incorrectly by people in general -- to mean advocating a bad cause or injuring a cause by endorsing it. Sadly, these egregious usages have become accepted. -- A DICTIONARY OF CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN USAGE, Evans and Evans, page 133

I have to agree, CoCo, that is quite shocking. The term is "playing" the Devil's Advocate, is it not? The true meaning is quite obvious.  xx t 

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Again to highlight the real issue:

It is a cartoon aimed at influencing CHILDREN in a propaganda-style manner.

(t is no different to the propaganda used by the hitler youth to influence young impressionable minds.)

Young ones will now form a very "black and white" judgemental view of all non witnesses...because they have been told there is no other way.

Kids can not reason like adults...

• compound complex
    compound complex

I generally do not refer to family here, but it grieves me deeply that some of my little loved ones are distressed that Jehovah is going to kill their classmates.

I'm absolutely helpless. I can talk to family who, like me, left the org. Those still in?

No . . .

CC

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Tal!

I always enjoy hearing from you.

CoCo

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Remember when Joe Camel was a cartoon advertisement for Camel cigarettes?

The courts finally decided that since it was a cartoon it was a violation of the law against marketkng to minors, and the Joe Camel campaign was stopped?

This is what is so upsetting to me: it's a cartoon and the audience is children.

I've known kids who grew up JWs when I did and told me they never really paid attention at the meetings and didn't really understand the teachings.

With all of this direct-to-children advertisement, it seems unlikely that that could ever happen again.

• Simon
    Simon

Why do some people insist that taking a realistic view of a situation somehow equates to supporting a standpoint.

To put it in simple terms, one can predict the likely outcome of a sports game but that doesn't mean you therefore support a particular team.

So can we drop this nonsensical "if you don't agree that this will be the end of the WTS therefore you must support them" crap once and for all.

Or explain in very specific terms what you believe is incorrect about my comments and how you believe it translates into support for the WTS or their behavior.

• sparky1
    sparky1

We upset George Takei...................who cares! I liked STAR TREK:THE NEXT GENERATION much better anyway.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    haha sparky!.... That DOES sound like something one of the Borg Collective would say....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit