Anti-Gay Cartoon Still Making Rounds: George Takei weighs in

by freemindfade 38 Replies latest social current

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    I love it, they are digging their own grave.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I cannot imagine local JWs feeling embarrassed by the video.

initially no, but those who work with or go to school with the LBGT community may have to have uncomfortable discussions about this. They may not feel as passive towards witnesses as they once did. Because it isn't a watchtower quote about god not approving of homosexuality, its a cartoon that addresses gay marriage in a specific way.

By putting this in a cartoon, they have chosen a very offensive medium (kids cartoon) for delivering their doctrine, also one that is easily spread. I don't care what HQ thinks about it or most R&F, I like to think that those who would normally say they know witnesses and they never hurt anybody start to see witnesses as more overtly harmful going forward.

I should write them and say for the love of jehalapeno please make a Caleb and Sophia video about shunning!

• undercover
    undercover

I'm for anything that embarrasses JWs in front of the general population.

I sense that many JWs are not homophobic, or as anti-gay as the WTS leaders would have them be. They're more of a 'live and let live' type of people - when left to their own devices and not repeating the WT mantra of 'oh woe is the world'. Especially the younger generation. If the WTS comes off like Westboro Lite, it might help some who are starting to get inklings that not all is right with JW beliefs dig a little deeper.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

JeffT - "They'll call it proof that the world is depraved and pat themselves on the back."

Yup.

Criticism from "the World" will just convince them they're on the right track.

Everything is proof they're right. Even the stuff that isn't.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I can just hear JWs now:

"We don't adopt the standards of the world, we base our morals on Jehovah's standards and because of this JWs should expect this type of backlash of persecution we have been experiencing in the media out in the world"..... So they will appear more self righteous and feel more "in the truth" because of the persecution complex they have.

LRG

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

sir82 - "Possibly the only thing the WTS hates on a par with having to shell out money for lawsuits is prominent, public embarrassment and loss of prestige."

Only if it affects the bottom line.

If they could demonstrate - to themselves - that the video will result in a tangible loss in revenue flow, then - maybe - they'd take it down.

Didn't happen with the Deafsturbation or Sparlock videos, though, so...

• steve2
    steve2

I understand taking the devils advocate position, Simon and Steve2...but at this point, your position on this seems more like stubborn cynicism.

Actually, Jehalapeno, my post did not take a devil's advocate position at all. I simply tried to "imagine" what the JW "take" on the video would be because some posters had asserted that JWs could be embarrassed by it. I didn't think they would be embarrassed by it.

You will know from my comments elsewhere that I do not at all endorse their "take"

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    When I sat and listened to the now famous TM3 rant, I was so angry I was having an out of body experience, all this time later we hear many leaving mention how that was a turning point. I would love to believe this could be another one. Hard to say what wacky things HQ does now will sound the alarm for someone. Seems they are doing a lot more than they ever used to.
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Interesting background info:

play devil's advocate

to pretend to be against an idea or plan which a lot of people support in order to make people discuss it in more detail and think about it more carefully
    Usage notes: The 'Advocatus Diaboli' was a person employed by the Roman CatholicĀ church to argue against someone being made a saint (= someone given the honour ofbeing called Saint by the Roman Catholic church).
    I don't think he was really in favour of getting rid of the scheme, he was just playing devil'sĀ advocate. I know that most people here support the project, but let me play devil's advocate for a moment and ask if anyone has considered the cost?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ compound complex...

Makes you wonder...

...at what point exactly does playing Devil's Advocate (for fundy beliefs) simply become just another application of Poe's Law? :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit