Do any of you ex JW`s ever feel ashamed or embarrassed to admit you were once a JW? To your now friends / associates ?

by smiddy3 21 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I ask this now because I have been living in this town for the past 14 years and the circle of friends I have now I have never let on I am an ex JW.

I`m talking about 30-50 people at least.

Not that the subject has ever really come up , but I think they would be shocked / amazed that I was a ( I hate this word ) a "devout" JW for 32 years going around knocking on peoples doors trying to convert them to the religion .

Yet every now and again I get tempted to.

how say you ?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Haven’t met many social contacts since I left work. My work mates had known meas a Witness. I found it much easier to talk about things as an ex dub than ever I did as a Witness.

When you are “in” and you feel the need to speak up, there is always a barrier to be overcome, a moment of hesitation.......As an ex, it just flowed freely . I enjoyed anti - Witnessing.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I'm not bothered anymore. No one asks and I don't tell them.

That is unless they think I'm still a Jobo...I have to correct that. I don't want them thinking I'll be a twat all my life.

• alanv
    alanv

I often speak to new friends or relatives about my time as a JW. Its a great way of ensuring that they dont fall into the same trap as I did. Most of them are horrified when I tell them about the dark side of the religion

• Revealed
    Revealed

I never am.

• carla
    carla

I am very embarrassed to admit my husband is a jw. It can be humiliating especially at a function where the only people sitting down for the National Anthem are those in wheel chairs and my jw. Yeah, really love sitting by a vet with their Vietnam hats (or in the past Korea, or even a WW2). When I have had to tell anybody that he is one they usually respond with, "oh, I thought he was smarter than that" or "it's a cult". Funny, come to think of it, I have never not once had a positive response about jw's.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I am ashamed…but I always excuse myself because I was a “born in”, and had no choice.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

About 50% of all the friends and acquaintances I have made over the past 20 years since leaving the JW's know that I used to be one because I told them, or it came up in conversation. When I now meet someone who may become a friend or acquaintance, I don't bring it up at all. If they ever start talking about religion and the subject of JW's is brought up, then I will have a chance to anti-witness once again.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I tell no one. At the most I say that I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian religion. However, I think I might change that now. How can I help others avoid the mistake of becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses if I don't let them know I stopped being one?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Was reluctant even when fully in. I guess there was always a nagging doubt about pushing the "wonderful god" schtick.

Mom let us trick or treat, birthday parties (others), no xmas. Thanksgiving was a family reunion. Dad was not part of the good ol boys club and kept quiet.

In the 50s and 60s thing were more lax. At least we played with worldly kids, watched fireworks on 4th. Solo dating was allowed and we did get into heavy petting with no consequences. (Dont tell)

My best friends mother took me under her wing and gave me my first legal beer, introduced me to family xmas traditions like decorating the tree.

WT was right about the flag, military and some things but not by righteousness but rather just for the controversy. They misused the "my country right or wrong" as being in lock step instead of realizing we have a common allegiance to our home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit