I need food for thought..

by raven 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Be careful, and don't jump from the frying pan into the fire....
  • rebel8
    rebel8

I felt like that too, OP.

I decided to resolve it by reading the Bible, front to back, in order, without the aid of publications. Just the bare truth of what the book says.

I got done and my faith was weaker than ever. Baby killing, rapes, kidnapping, approved slavery, torture, racism, misogyny, hatred and evil of all kinds--all approved by both Jesus and Jehovah.

So I thought I just lacked faith, and made myself read it again, front to back.

By the time I got into early Revelation, I realized it was as whack as whack gets. It is not a holy, harmonious book inspired by a loving being. When I shut the back cover for the last time, I was done.

The great thing about doing that is you know you gave it your best shot. You will never regret or feel as though somebody else influenced you.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Raven and Stephanie:

James 1:27

• elbib
    elbib

Hello Raven,

I built up from my initial doubt on "who is the faithful and discreet slave?"--a question that is found in an illustration Jesus used to highlight the preparedness of all Christians, but JWs have made this verse as a basis for God's organization on earth in the "last days."

If this is how they understand Bible, one can imagine their understanding about other verses.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Defianttruth very nicely laid out a systematic way of deconstructing a tightly held core belief.

Another poster recommended you do the same for the elements that you believe might be "iffy" and I agree.

Remember,

“The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.”

‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭18:17‬ ‭ESV‬‬

http://bible.com/59/pro.18.17.esv

• tornapart
    tornapart

Hi raven... I would endorse what oppostate said about reading Ray Franz book 'In Search of Christian Freedom'. I've also read books by Philip Yancy, a christian writer who became atheist for a time after coming from a fundamentalist church. He found his own spiritual freedom. I've also read a book about buddhism and how it's values can be drawn on by a christian (the writer is christian himself but married to a buddhist). Also, read the New Testament in other translations like the NIV, without referring to any other publications. It's amazing the difference it makes.

Also, just going out and enjoying the nature is a very spiritual experience whether one is a believer in God or not.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Friends if you have anything that has helped you to research, read, study, and delve into regarding the JW doctrines, scriptures, anything that will help me to solidify that this isn't right? Am I beginning to "wake up" as some would say, am I starting to realize the truth about the truth? OR am I just being blinded by Satan's influence...? I'm so confused..

Your not dancing with the devil Raven....... your dancing with a life time of conditioning......... this is what a high control religion or cult does.

Most of us here left the truth...........We left so that we could find the truth! And for each of us it's a little different and we are fine with that......and if we are not then we continue to search.

Some of us keep a belief in God and his Son......... a more personal belief........something closer to the Gospels. Something more loving and rational. They enjoy the spiritual connection.

Some of us have become non-believers. Non- believers live their live's with a high degree of morality and ethic's simply because it is one of the best ways to live. They enjoy their spiritual connection.....by mediating or for myself standing in the middle of a beautiful trout stream listening to the water, the wind in the trees. Standing there with a fly rod in my hand just standing there pretending to be fishing. It throws people off if your an old coot like me standing still in the water doing nothing.

The search for your truth will start in what you asked for......... books and research, and maybe a good honest conversation.

Understanding the history of the JW's is a good place to start. It puts what they have taught and done into a context that is helpful.

A decent unbiased account of the history of the JW religion is on this site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

all but a few of the citations come from the Society's own publications.

Most of us have been where you are now. Trying to stay loyal to an organization that has and continues to be reckless with the education, health and welfare of it's followers.

An organization that destroys individuals and families because they believe it is a loving provision to shun a person until they die.

We were required as Witnesses to walk in step, wait on Jehovah, be obedient to the Society. To believe in things until the so called new light was pronounced and those beliefs were changed or dropped.

A religion that expects a paradise earth which will be built over the bones of billions now living.

The spirituality that the WTBTS talks about is simple, you believe what you are told to believe.....period. And you are not free to leave. That's where this forum comes in....... we actually have ex JW's who have walked it back and kept their families.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hi Raven,

This thread is very good it shows the thought process many go through while having doubts and slowly waking up.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit