looking for consolation

by leslane 32 Replies latest jw friends

• leslane
    leslane

Hi everyone, I'm new here as of today!

Well, having some issues and thought that you all might be gracious enough to offer some insight. I am a lesbian, have come out to a few friends. My family suspects because of a recent incident with a girl that was reported to them. I am underage, so I can't leave the house yet Well, my dad is urging (note: his urgings are like basic commands) me to get baptized and I don't know what to do. I have no desire to have anything to do with Jehovah's Witnesses.I can't tell him that yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to delay this catastrophic commitment? Thank you all!

• Emma
    Emma

leslane,

I would recommend getting in touch with the nearest GLSEN chapter. Depending on the size of the community you live in, there will be resources.

Welcome to the board!

EmmaVisit Smiley Central!

• leslane
    leslane

what is GLSEN chapter?

Thanks for the welcome!

• Emma
    Emma

I'll get a link. It's support for gays and lesbians.

http://www.pflag.org/ This is for Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays but will have resources for you, too.

Emma

• Emma
    Emma

Here's the one for GLSEN.

http://www.glsen.org/templates/index.html

Feel free to PM me, also.

Emma

• leslane
    leslane

omg! Thank you so much for that! I will definately look into it. Um, quick question, how do you personalize your profile?

• Emma
    Emma

At the top corner of the page, under your name, you can click on profile. You should be able to make the changes.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

As far as your father is concerned, tell him that you are giving baptism the serious consideration that it deserves, but that you don't feel that you are quite ready for it yet. Tell him that it is a major step and should not be entered into lightly.

By showing respect for the institution of Baptism, it tends to deflect attention away from your refusal to submit to it.

Whatever you do, don't get baptized. It will be used to punish you in the future.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

Welcome, leslane!!!

hon, i was in a very similar situation not very long ago...my parents put ENORMOUS pressure on me to get baptized...whatever you do, hold out till you can move out, it will make your life so much easier in the long run! usually if my parents approached me about it, i'd just make myself start crying and say that i regarded the issue VERY seriously, that i thought of it as a huge step and that i didnt think jehovah would appreciate it if i took it lightly, so i needed more time to "fully commit myself" to jehovah and draw closer to him. then, when i turned eighteen...POW! I was outta there and never had to look back!

keep your chin up, girl. :)

• leslane
    leslane

wonderful answer, thank you so much, that sounds so beleivable. I almost got baptized three years ago, hehe, then I screwed up again and got all my 'privledges' taken away. Thanks for the advise though, I read a book once describing this one state of mind..it said it was like a mist rising off the lake, it can't go back. Well, I'm already risen off the lake and it's impossible for me to go back now. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit