Strip off the old personality

by eyeuse2badub 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

don't forget that a lot of us "grow up" around mid 20's so change anyway. As for being in prison, nothing like being in a place where you can't do a lot to straighten you out.

• steve2
    steve2

Religion without testimonies (called "experiences" in JW land) is like meat without gravy: Not as tasty and yummy.

It is telling that many religious people, JWs included, take these stories as evidence that their group is the one "true" religion, little realizing - or even caring - that these "were-lost-but-now-found" stories are the stock in trade of every religious or spiritual movement under heaven.

Oh, and the starry-eyed reaction to these stories evaporates when the listener realizes the positively "transformed" individual belongs, not to their precious group, but some other.

• Sorry
    Sorry

Whenever I bring up the point of "This doesn't happen with just JW's, it happens in many organizations." to my parents, they (especially my mom) get angry and says things like "That won't last, they're in false religion" or even "Who cares, if it's not Jehovah doing it, it's not worth spit." JWs can't stand to think that their precious "brotherhood" ain't all that special when it comes down to it.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I know a few people who became fervent Christians (Not JW) after living a nasty life. Some profess that Jesus advised them to repent and come clean. It's in all the religions, especially Christendom.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

To me this goes to my point that a lot of people join for reasons other than caring about life forever or whether God is a trinity or not. They find comfort and a way to stay away from a lifestyle that have harmed them in a past, and don't necessarily care about doctrine or prophecy.

This is why when helping others out, they may not care much about discussing discrepancies in the things they say.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes everyone, I too must say that thanks to a new direction in my life, I no longer act like a judgemental, bigoted, arrogant, proud, self righteous, know-it-all, pompous ass.

Yes, since I STOPPED BEING A JW, my life and attitude has improved.

I guess I have "seen the light!"

My life has been turned around! I have "stripped off the old personality"

haha...yes, it applies equally well the other way around too....

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The only difference with a non-soul-sucking-cult "road to Damascus" type moment is you get to keep your own soul oops I mean "personality."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

EYEUSETOBEADUB:

As the other posters have said, people who get involved with any Christian-type religion usually clean up their lives.

The problem with the JW religion is that it involves more than just getting rid of vices like smoking and dressing better. They want you to check your brain at the door and have no opinion of your own. They slowly try to break down personal boundaries and get you to tolerate things no sensible person would tolerate.

Once I was out of the religion I realized just how bad it was. I would never fall for this again.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

eyeuse2badub This is a good post and so true as many other posters have attested to.

And I believe it was also true in my case to some extent.

I tend to agree with pale.emperor......some people just trade one addiction for another one.

Ditto

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

Strip off...think about those words...has anyone ever stripped paint off of something, hard work ain't it? Depending on how much paint is on it...Just the word strip, sounds like it hurts...it hurts to change old habits...so many of the witnesses can't strip off the old personality, why ? Because it hurts...they just appear to change by their comments or coming to the meetings, keeping up on JW.TV, reading all the latest, shunning, looking like a good witness, but they haven't changed a bit...

I'm in a hall, everyone looks and sounds like a Christian, but ask for something, watch them shuffle. Ask for a loan, they have to ask their spouse, that's an easy way to say"NO"...need a ride, got to ask at least 10 folks before you get one if at all....

Witnesses know how to make it look like they have changed, but take it from me....Most of them haven't, they are faking it 'til they make it...

It's hard for folks to change...sometimes it takes you years to be who you are bad or good so it will take some more years for you to change...People only change when they are sick and tired of being sick and tired...

Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit