Deep Down Inside, Are You Prejudiced???

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Nooo, You are prejudiced. "some people" can't be whole nationalities, you know.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Personally, I can't stand white people.

Bradley

• teejay
    teejay

I know. Disliking "some people" isn't the same as disliking the whole group. That's why I can say that I'm not prejudiced. I *will* say this, though...

What is seen as prejudice in some cases only A REACTION to prejudice. The two are not the same.

• smurfette
    smurfette

I too come from a very diverse family, lots of different races and nationalities. I do stereo-type a bit. I come from an area where everyone is decended from various scandinavian countries and they fight about customs, which country's the best and swap deragatory jokes about each other. Finnish-Norwegians-and Swedes mostly. It's odd to me one of the lone non Scandinavians because they all kind of seem the same to me.

I do have a deep seated prejudice against people with mullet haircuts and "wife beater" muscle tee-shirts especially if they drive a rusted out el camino while blaring USA coutry radio at full volume. Also people who wear socks with sandals. I don't know if it's a true prejudice though, as I'm glad these people exist as they amuse me to no end.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Prejudice is defined: an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason......unreasonable feelings, opinions or attitudes esp. of a hostile nature,directed against a racial, religious or national group.....Webster

Well, I am with Happyout and Orbiting.... I don't like someone when they do something to make me dislike them. I don't care what color or background they come from. Heck, if I listened to my mother, I would believe all _______ were__________. Fill in the blank with any racial/religious/national and a behavior and she will come up with a *standard* of how *those people* always *do that*. I hate that type of stereotypeing.

• minimus
    minimus

Fill in the blanks with------All JW's are evil------

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I suppose it is human nature to be ethnocentric. We believe that the way we are is best. Whether that applies to race or beliefs or country of origin is immaterial. What is familiar seems the "right" and "good" way to do things. Everything else is therefore "wrong" or "bad".

It becomes easy then to make judgements on others - especially those with differences that we don't understand.

And with our background as JWs we were basically programmed to be prejudiced against ------ apostates lol

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

Being raised up north I was not really exposed to rascism.... but I moved to Georgia some years ago... Near Macon, and Robins Air Force Base.

I was shocked to know that this archaic idea still exists anywhere in the U.S. (maybe I didnt get out enough as a dub??)

People still refer to each other by their race, no matter what the situation. We were eating in restaraunt (average plate was about thirty dollars... not like it was the Waffle House)... I heard a man say very loudly... "Will you tell that BLACK GAL who is serving us to hurry up, I am late". And some people will refuse to be served by people of color.... and the restaraunts will often COMPLY with the request.... so weird. I just want to scream at them... "Hey man... it's not like you are going to turn black if she touches you!!!"

People around here use the "N" word very commonly. I am continuously offered to join ether the "Sons of the Confederacy" or the KKK. . . . I just keep thinking "Are you for real? or are you just kidding?".... but no... they PULL OUT THEIR CARD and show it to you. I just give them this look... YOU REALLY NEED TO GET OUT MORE... the war IS OVER.

Some of the older ones here still keep confederate money locked away... they are just determined that the south will "rise again".... oh brother.... Sorta funny though... like watching "The Beverly Hillbillies" or something... Granny still has her gun.

• Mary
    Mary
    Prejudice is defined: an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason......unreasonable feelings, opinions or attitudes esp. of a hostile nature,directed against a racial, religious or national group.....Webster

Well then I guess I'm as guilty as everyone else. The day after September 11th, I was on my way to work when I saw a Muslim walking towards me and I had an overwhelming desire to smash him in the face. I knew that this wasn't a reasonable reaction as he almost certainly had nothing to do with the attacks, but that's how I felt at the time.

• teejay
    teejay

>>>>> I just keep thinking "Are you for real? or are you just kidding?".... but no... they PULL OUT THEIR CARD and show it to you.

I'd laugh at that if it weren't so sick.

The really sad part about it is that there are a buncha cardless people who at heart feel the same way, but delude themselves into thinking that they are somehow more evolved than their trashy brethren.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit