Jehovah's Witnesses Called At My Door

by Roger Kirkpatrick 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    "All scripture is inspired of God." ...said every human who wrote something that ended up in the Bible.

Probably the same artistic licence for when a movie is inspired by true events!

• bennyk
    bennyk

Stephane writes: The Interlinear bible shows that Rev 7:15 uses "naō" for temple while Luke 1:9 uses "naon". The logic of the OP is flawed.

No. The Greek word for "sanctuary" has slightly different forms, which depends on the grammatical case in which it is used. I also have used this line of reasoning with JW's...

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I don't recall if the OP invited the JW dad and son inside and sat them down in his living room for the discussion. If so, the story is believable.

As a JW I remember back in the 1960s canvasing a neighborhood on a cold Saturday morning and being invited inside for a Bible discussion by a religious person. It was so nice to get in out of the cold that we didn't mind losing a religious debate with a friendly person. Plus we got to count easy time for an hour or so and avoid having to knock on other doors and irritate householders in cold weather.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    The Greek word for "sanctuary" has slightly different forms, which depends on the grammatical case in which it is used.

There ya go! Based on JW logic, the grammatical case leans toward temple. The argument won't work with them.

BTW: I read the Greek scriptures from end to end and could see that an everlasting life in a paradise was not thought by the first Christians.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, a Watchtower publication, and turned to page 23 of the Foreword, pointing out the following statement, "While inclining to view the pronunciation Yahweh as [I paused to let the man read the next phrase aloud] the more correct way, [and I continued reading] we have retained the form Jehovah because of people's familiarity with it since the 14th century."

I never realized this was in this book also ,I only remembered it being in the "Aid" book and that is really telling in the fact that they claim to be the only one`s Highliting and making known GOD`s name when they admit its not his correct name ? and a name that was invented by a catholic monk in the 13th Century no less.?

It could be argued here that it is Jehovah`s Witnesses who are hiding the "true " name of GOD.

That`s priceless.

And the fact that they say peoples familiarity with the name Jehovah since the 14th Century ?

Doesn`t that clash with their claim that Christendom and the world have been trying to hide the name of God ?

• Roger Kirkpatrick
    Roger Kirkpatrick

Thanks to all of you who have posted positive comments regarding my OP. I love the fact that my latest conversation with Jehovah’s Witnesses–which happened just as I related it in my OP–went so well that some suspect it is simply a carefully crafted narrative of a conversation which never actually took place. Some expressed doubts because I related certain historical facts, seemingly from memory. That is because I have given such intense thought to and preparation for how I would speak to Jehovah’s Witnesses if and when I had the chance, and I knew it was only a matter of time.

It really doesn’t matter to me whether those doubters believe my account or not. The narrative stands on its own as an example of how to converse with sincerely indoctrinated JWs. However, that certain commenter who even presumes to know the motive behind my OP only exposes his own character, or lack thereof.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your encounter sounded smooth.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done Roger ! my memory is such that I can recount conversations verbatim, often quite some time after the event. I too have given much thought to how to talk to J.W's, if given the chance.

I was able to hold a similar conversation to yours with two ladies who called on me. I can but hope that I sowed seeds, and those seeds will grow. I know that what householders said to me had a lasting effect, which helped me eventually break free.

Well done, and a big " Push Off" to all who denigrate our efforts, after all, we only want the best for our our former " Brothers and Sisters", we want them to be free and happy like us.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Hahaha, you're adorable. Doubters huh? My don't you sound like the very people you wanna debate. And then you throw shade at me all indirectly, come on man, just say what you mean. I'm outta here, just know that if you post another bogus story like this I'm gonna call you on it again.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi RK

Yes, well done. I too plan my encounters with JWs. Always best to control the conversation to avoid wasting time.

Yahweh, Yaho vah' , Jehovah

Using any of the above are acceptable in making God's name known according to a seasoned JW I have been corresponding with.

My unanswered question to him is ...Why did God's make sure his name was excluded from the entire Bible? It is nowhere found in the NT as a name and only partially found approx 7000 times in the Hebrew scriptures.

If they respond that men eliminated the name from both testaments I ask...Was God unable to protect his word from human alteration? Couldn't he have left a few manuscripts hidden for our enlightenment if knowing his name was important?

Could it be that God purposely left his name unknowable because he wanted another name to have preeminence?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit