Good books to read?

by thedepressedsoul 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Harris says he'd vote for Carson over Chomsky "every time". How clear can you get? Throwing in the word imbecile is his typical style of double talking. Bottom line is he saysCarson understands the Middle East better than Chomsky.

• cofty
    cofty
    Bottom line is he saysCarson understands the Middle East better than Chomsky

No he doesn't. he says Carson gets the threat of Islamic Fascism better than Chomsky.

I'm off to bed. I enjoy debate but trying to converse with somebody who wilfully twists the position of their opponent is tedious. Good night.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sam Harris on first strike, emphasis mine, no comment required:

If history is any guide, we will not be sure about where the offending warheads are or what their state of readiness is, and so we will be unable to rely on targeted, conventional weapons to destroy them. In such a situation, the only thing likely to ensure our survival may be a nuclear first strike of our own. Needless to say, this would be an unthinkable crime—as it would kill tens of millions of innocent civilians in a single day—but it may be the only course of action available to us, given what Islamists believe.
  • cofty
    cofty

There is no contradiction in Harris' position on the possible use of nuclear weapons.

I posted his explanation in a video where he explains in detail. Bye

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In the video you linked Harris says he does not advocate a first strike. In that extract he did.

You said Harris does not prefer Carson to Chomsky. Harris himself said he'd vote for Carson every time.

i don't think these issues could be clearer. It's like you're arguing the earth is flat rather than round.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Plus no further mention of the Buddhist kamikaze in the very Hitchens book you recommend. Facts?
  • azor
    azor

You you quote Chomsky and Nietsche the ultimate regressive leftists. Maybe we should move this debate to another post.

New atheism & progressivism(regressive left)

• azor
    azor
    I would not voluntarily vote for Carson or Chomsky. If you put a gun to my head and I had to choose or get my head blown off I'd vote for Carson to. Chomsky would let millions of Americans die and claim we deserved it for our past atrocities.
  • gone for good
    gone for good

Just finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

A Wonderful book- especially appreciated by those who have wasted some of their life to cult fundamentalism. A great plot and a story that assesses religious fanaticism from the viewpoints of those it harms the most - its' own members.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    In the video you linked Harris says he does not advocate a first strike. In that extract he did.

Nowhere in that quote is he advocating for a first strike. Look up the definition of advocating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit