Spokane 2016 Convention dates - "darkest weekend"

by OrphanCrow 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I came across an odd remark concerning the booking of a JW convention in an article from Spokane.

Visit Spokane’s Cheryl Kilday: Meeting expectations

Since Cheryl Kilday returned to the Northwest 5 1/2 years ago, the Spokane Convention Center has been expanded, a 750-room hotel has opened across from it, and a number of smaller investments have added dining and shopping options in the city’s core.
    All of the changes have added options or improved the pitch for Spokane for Kilday, who as the president and CEO of Visit Spokane heads up the organization tasked with bringing more people and events to town.
    We took some time with Kilday during the quieter part of the convention calendar, while some of the year’s biggest events are still on the horizon.

The article continues to discuss the convention trade in Spokane and then says this in the interview:

Journal: What have been some of your biggest wins in terms of landing conventions over the last year or so?
    Kilday: In 2015, we booked the Lions Clubs International, which is a really good and significant group for us. It’s the Canadian delegation, as well as the Western delegation of the Lions, so we’re really excited about that.
    The Jehovah’s Witnesses have booked for their Watchtower convention.
    What they do is look at booking in the darkest weekend of the year, so they’ll be here the Fourth of July. They’ll fill the arena, and that will be later this year.

The Executive Women International booked last year. It’s a smaller group, but it’s a really important group. It really shows the support of our community for our own Executive Women International chapter.

This is what I am curious about:

What they do is look at booking in the darkest weekend of the year

Firstly, I am not sure about "darkest weekend of the year" because July 4th, 2016 is right after the summer solstice, the longest day of the year.

However, July 4th is the date of the new moon that month. So, it is the darkest weekend of the month.

It is a strange thing for Kilday to say...does anyone know anything about odd and unusual ways of picking JW convention dates??? Do the powers that be in the WT still stick to some strange and wacky leftovers of lunar magic from the Woodworth days?

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Least busy for conventions.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Listener: Least busy for conventions

Oohhh... convention "doublespeak" for "nobody else will book".

Got it

:)

I sort of like the lunar thing better...haha!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Read "cheapest".
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Cheap and easy. Nothing would surprise me anymore though.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Oh, a July 4 convention? How considerate and promotive of family values... another holiday weekend opportunity obliterated by the minions of the Bronze Age desert god.

And they wonder why young people are leaving in droves.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ha ha ha...I thought it would be one ( spooky stuff) or the other ( either dark = full calender busy) or very quiet

Kinda hoping for the wacky stuff!

Who is woodworth?!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"Darkest" as in a theatre that is "dark" on Monday nights -- closed.

JWs take advantage of booking the weekend that no other groups want to book. That explains why soo many Dist/Reg Conventions are that weekend.

Doc

• Londo111
    Londo111

Rather than regional convention, it should be called Guiltfest. And it is indeed a dark time anything there is a Guiltfest.

But as a JW, you can only say, "That was the best convention ever!"

Queue the ‘spontaneous’ applause!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Dio: Kinda hoping for the wacky stuff!
    Who is woodworth?!

For all things wacky and wonderful, Clayton Woodworth is the go to guy.

He was the co-author of the "Finished Mystery" - went to jail with Rutherford...

There is lots and lots about this strange and demented character from the Watchtower's past here on this forum and elsewhere. He confessed to being demon possessed for a time. One of the editors of the Golden Age magazine.

Lunar things always remind me of Woody - he had a big fight with Rutherford over the calendar he had made - "Jehovah's Calendar". It was based on Woodworth's lunar madness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit