David Splane on the "older members" of the GB

by Richard_I 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

In the August broadcast, David Splane is shown in a morning worship video. I just wanted to focus on the end of the video, were he has this to say:

The Governing Body loves to get together and discuss the bible. Now, when those bibles come out on the table, and when the brothers bring their research in, and they are starting to search the scriptures and analyze the scriptures, you see the happy smiles on their faces - the brothers love discussing spiritual things. But, the clarifications are often a long time in coming into print. Why? Because the clarification on one scripture can have a domino effect on others. The clarification on one scripture can have ramifications on other prophecies, so we have to be absolutely sure that everything fits. So to reiterate, although certain changes may be announced one after another, these decisions are thought out very carefully. And here's an interesting side point: the older members of the Governing Body - Brother Jaracz, Brother Barr - were just as interested in making the adjustments as the younger members were. They were very progressive.

I just thought it was weird that he would mention Jaracz and Barr, who have both been dead for over 6 years now, in a recent morning worship, and say that they were "progressive". To me, it sounds like some higher ups may be disgruntled with the recent changes in "understanding"/meeting format and this is Splane's way of saying "Hey, those guys would've liked these changes too!" It just seems odd to bring them up all of a sudden, almost like he is really trying to put out a fire. Also, the fact he was talking about this makes me think he really is the big boss of the GB, moreso than Morris, who seems to be the org's "bulldog".

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

They like talking about the bible and having a mutual conversation, give and take, on various ideas and theories, each giving their input and thinking outside the box. Must be fun. Of course if any other private group of individuals were to do this it's called apostacy, sectarianism or running ahead of the chariot

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree with your analysis. I was thinking something similar when I watched this. The fact he feels compelled to invoke the names of Barr and Jaracz to support current changes would appear to indicate discontent.

Also the fact that he revisited the old "gas price" excuse for the abandonment of Book Study shows he knows people just aren't buying it.

I would add that there's something odd, if taken at face value, about "anointed Christians" who believe they are being guided by God's spirit, worrying about whether proposed changes will "fit". It's as if they conceive of themselves as playing with some huge and complex jigsaw puzzle they don't quite understand, rather than being led by God,

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I think its funny to have to mention that the "Faithful Slave' liked to - you know - read the bible and discuss it and like it.
    Does he think that the R&F dont think they GB reads it?
    Like Mickey Mantle saying - you know I just like hitting playing baseball.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Excellent analysis. It sounds like damage control to be honest

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I would add that there's something odd, if taken at face value, about "anointed Christians" who believe they are being guided by God's spirit, worrying about whether proposed changes will "fit". It's as if they conceive of themselves as playing with some huge and complex jigsaw puzzle they don't quite understand, rather than being led by God, ~ Slim

That's exactly my thought! WTF would they have "figure out if it fits" if the Holy Spirit in leading them along?? Did the HS take them down a wrong path? Is the big cell tower up above out of service so they can't get the right connection? Poor communication?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

After all these decades upon decades of Jehovah's (supposed) direction over the organization, shouldn't the Governing Body have everything about the Bible figured out by now? They've covered every possible topic in their publications over the past 100 years, so what are these guys really doing with their time back there in New York? How hard is their job that they need so many of them living in the lap of luxury being supported by the donations of the other sheep?

• atomant
    atomant

They really should be discussing where did we go wrong.After all we did predict harmageddon last century and here we still are? derr.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Splane has been Fred Franz 2.0 for a long time.

His sidekick, Sanderson, will be 3.0

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

The Governing Body loves to get together

I still like this videography of it (NSFW) (Start at 1:08 if you want)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfXkwE0881E#t=1m8s

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit