How did the bible fables get started?

by Tameria2001 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparky1
    sparky1

Fables, stories and myths are important for some human beings in order to assign meaning in life and to their lives. Early man and the Bible writers were no exception.

"A myth is a way of making sense in a senseless world. Myths are narrative patterns that give significance to our existence. Whether the meaning of existence is only what we put into life by our own individual fortitude, as Sartre would hold, or whether there is a meaning we need to discover, as Kierkegaard would state, the result is the same: myths are our way of finding this meaning and significance." - ROLLO MAY

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They only had story-telling way back. By the time they learned how to write it down, the stories were some real whoppers. Think Genesis and the book of Enoch, but also all mythologies had huge stories.

I think, just as we know today's movies are fictional, people tended to know stories were fiction back then. But that was somehow forgotten as the telling went on. Imagine some of our modern "based on a true story" or "inspired by actual events" movies becoming the accepted history in the future...or even worse- pure fiction is believed to be true. Think ABRAHAM LINCOLN- VAMPIRE SLAYER.

Let me indulge on another silly idea you WILL hear. There were baby animals and just dinosaur eggs on the ark. Or there were actually 3 arks, but the tale got simplified. One ark landed at Australia and the ark with dinosaus sank in some battle of faith. The third had Noah and the animals of Europe, Asia, Africa....and they walked a land bridge to the Americas. Can you see a great story-telling out of that?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

@Crazyguy wow very interesting! Great post.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Oh thought of another one, the Sampson story has similarities to the stories of Hercules. Both slay the same kind of animal with their bare hands and both capture the same animal in another part of the story. It’s clear many of the stories are not the exact same but have similar elements to them of older stories.

Magnum I can’t give you a specific book I have found these from researching and reading many different books.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Crazyguy - OK, thanks. I kind of figured that might be the case.

Giordano- thanks for that link.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. sparky1's post...

Very true.

I think one of the big problems was, surprisingly enough, the scientific method.

It did such a better job explaining the world around us that mythology became virtually discredited, to the point where the word "myth" became almost synonymous with "lie".

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

OnTheWayoOut I loved that movie Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer. It was a fun movie. Dumb idea but fun to watch. Still Totally ADD

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

add to the list

robin hood

king arthur and the round table

the lone ranger and tonto.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Why did the Lone Ranger shoot Tonto? He found out what Kemosabi meant...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Vidiot ....

to the point where the word "myth" became almost synonymous with "lie"

or word myth became synonymous with ignorance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit