How do we know JWs are wrong and how do we convince others JWs are wrong: logic versus persuasion

by slimboyfat 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Was there no friend, no workmate, no family member, no person on the bus, in the gym, or at the local shop, who said anything to you to indicate that leaving JWs might be a good idea and that there was a better alternative that others have chosen? - SBF

No not one.

They changed their doctrine. I was uncomfortable with their explanation. I did all my own research in the bible. I decided they were wrong. Therefore it was not the truth, therefore I left. Simple.

I think none of us know ourselves very well

I am absolutely certain I know me a hell of a lot better than you know me.

Your previous comment was staggeringly arrogant.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I am absolutely certain I know me a hell of a lot better than you know me.

I am not aware of ever saying otherwise.

What I am saying is that none of us seem to understand what motivates us very well or why we make the decisions we do. This seems to be the mainstream view.

I am also saying that the fact ex-JWs tend to join mainstream alternatives in their community when they leave can't (logically!) be a complete coincidence.

Why not engage with these ideas instead of insisting on making it personal?

• cofty
    cofty

First I decided entirely of my own volition and 100% for reasons of facts and doctrine that the Watchtower was wrong. THEN I went looking for a local group who respected the authority of the bible. There was one available locally. If there were no local bible-believing churches it would have made no difference.

none of us seem to understand what motivates us very well or why we make the decisions we do

I understand very clearly why I left the cult.

As someone who respects expert opinion and academic consensus you could maybe look into it if you are interested

I am the expert on why I left the cult.

• slimboyfat
  • cha ching
    cha ching

My husband, my sons, my DIL & I left SOLEY based on 607 BCE. If 607 was wrong, 1914 was wrong, and so was 1919, and the GB were just a bunch of men.

When they changed the "generation" teaching, we waited for the WT's explanation in the 2011 WT. We used ONLY the Society's publications, bible, etc, etc.

I hate liars, I was lied to, and there was no way I was going to stay with a lying organization full of numerologists (yes, I looked at The Finished Mystery). Period.

I had endured all kinds of crap in this borg, and never left. Had PTSD more than once from things done to us by "this loving organization." I did not consider leaving, "Jehovah would straighten it out, he knew what was happening" (not that I didn't do what I could when I could, I did not sit on my hands)

No slimboyfat..... we did not leave for "social" reasons. We knew it would mean losing friends, family, our life.... and we did.

Nope, truth is truth and lies are lies.

Just the facts.... that was it.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE.. COFY GAVE YOU THE ANSWER IN THE FIRST PAGE ....

THERE IS NO GOD EVOLUTION IS TRUE AND YOU ARE AMAZING... BUT

THE WT WILL NEVER TELL YOU THAT.. WAKE UP FOOLS..

THE ONLY WAY TO CONVINCE JWS THAT THEY ARE WRONG IS THROUGH SCIENCE USING THE OPPOSITE OF THE BLUE BOOK... EX ERVS... EX CHROMOSOME 2.... EX.... TESTICLES... ECT

Yes I meant to use caps...

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I have to agree with SBF on this. In a nutshell:

SBF: JWs will often only be convinced JWs are wrong when such a conclusion aligns with their own interests.

People make decisions far more on emotional and other non-intellectual bases than they realize. They then create an intellectual justification, afterwards. I understand that this has been proven by experimentation many times. Eg, google "Festinger and Carlsmith experiment". It tends to happen at a subconscious level, so after a while people don't realize it, and just remember the intellectual justification.

If you look at advertising and marketing, it is overwhelmingly about hooking you in emotionally, rather than intellectually. The advertising industry wouldn't do that, if it didn't work. Another example: I was told once that the Catholic Church had a major problem with priests leaving the priesthood once their respective mothers die.

I suspect that for every individual that leaves the cult for entirely intellectual reasons, at least another 50 leave partly or wholly for other reasons (too inconvenient, too boring, too unpleasant, etc). They then quickly find the intellectual justification to stay away, and there is plenty of intellectual justification available to choose from.

Unfortunately what that also means is that it is a lot harder to wake up a cult member than some people seem to think.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

How do we know JWs are wrong and how do we convince others JWs are wrong

It should be relatively easy. Little effort is needed on our part.

CT Russell proclaimed the end would come in 1914. It didn't, and he was wrong.

JF Rutherford said the end would come first in 1925 and then during WW2. Ditto.

FW Franz said the end would come in 1975. Ditto.

The WTS inferred the end would come in the 20th century. Ditto.

Now, the current GB say the end will come soon. Why should I trust them? Is there a pattern here?

Give these people enough rope and they'll hang themselves.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

slimboyfat - "...How do we convince others JWs are wrong...?"

Easy,

Just let 'em talk. :smirk:

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

LoveUni JWs answer those points by saying 1) JWs were never definite about those dates 2) they never claimed to speak as prophets 3 ) if they made mistakes it was because they are imperfect men 4) the important thing is JWs have the truth and the details are not so important 5) where are you getting your information anyway - have you been listening to apostates? 6) I don't think this discussion is helpful spiritually 7) pray to Jehovah and read the Bible if you have doubts 8) I have tried to help you there is nothing more I can say to you if you don't accept Jehovah's help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit