The Preaching Work Is A Scam

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

They go door to door because Jesus went door to door. They really don't mind if no one opens the door, as long as they do what they are asked to do. They rather be obedient than productive. So in a way, their obedience is not productive.

I think it is a waste of time, but for the Watchtower society, this is a test to see if they are loyal to the organization.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82
    Of course they'll deny the comparison by claiming that they aren't actually "selling" anything

i remember the days when they WERE selling literature...wasnt it something like 35 cents for a brochure, 10 cents for a tract?? yes, that's a VERY brilliant idea...make people pay for something they already don't want....i barely remember it though, i was quite young when they switched from outright charging to asking for a contribution, which was equally embarrassing.

• minimus
    minimus

Jesus never went door to door!

• Mary
    Mary
    my mother told me how she believe that Jehovah God is patiently keeping the door open, since every year, new ones come into the "truth".

Yes, this is the drivel that keeps all the faithful Dubs going out month after month, year after year, decade after decade, century after century. It really is a weak argument if only they would stop to think about it. Yes there are new ones baptized every year, but probably 90% of these are people that were born into the troof, it's not ones coming in from "the world". I'm not sure what the monthly average in hours is any more, but for simplicity sake, let's still put it at 10 hours per month. My congregation has around 75 publishers, so that's 750 hours per month. Plus we have I think 6 regular pioneers who fake get 70 hours per month, so that's another 420 hours. Add these two together, and that's 1,170 hours spend in Service in one month. In one year, that's just over 14,000 hours. In ten years, that's just over 140,000 hours.

You know how many people have actually become a Witness in my congregation in the last ten years? Two people as far as I can tell. That's it. So over 140,000 hours were spent on two converts. Funny thing is, one of them's already left.

They go door to door because Jesus went door to door

Actually, there is no evidence that Jesus ever went door to door. There is no reference in the bible that He preached this way; He either went and preached in the synagogues, out in a open space like on the Mount of Olives, or in an informal way with people around. Nothing mentioned in the NT about Jesus going knock, knock knocking on the Jews' doors every Saturday morning, marking down how many scrolls he placed, or how many hours he spent doing this, or that he ever made a Return Visit on anyone. If someone wanted to hear Him talk, they were more than welcome to, but Jesus never offered anyone a home bible study based on literature written by the Pharisees.

If you want to see a modern day elder squirm, just mention this to them. They got no comeback as per usual.

• shamus
    shamus
    I believe that the door to door work is actually counter-productive. The idea of knocking on your neighbors doors, and bothering them with useless crap probably turns off more potential Witnesses than it converts.

Ahmen.

The word is out in North Amerika. Why don't they just stop it already!

• logansrun
    logansrun

The thought that Jehovah is holding Armageddon back and "keeping the door open" for more people to join the salvation club is silly since there will always be people coming into this or any other organization which actively recruits members. It's a very weak rationalization as to "why God is taking so long."

Bradley

• JH
    JH
    Jesus never went door to door!

Good, then no one should go door to door. Case closed.

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

But IF Jesus went door to door - what would he be driving - a BMW with WWJD on the license plate? AND if he went door to door WOULD he be handing out literature - NO because the majority of the people at that time were illeterate (& apparently can't spell). GIVE ME A BREAK! I get this one too and it doesn't hold water. HOW is it they can pick some things out and hold that up to 'Biblical' standards and not others. If Jesus had internet access he would send out his info from home via share or freeware.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    stand beside the opinion that the vast majority of all new witnesses are the children already born in.

I stand right beside you satnding beside that opinion, freedom96. Just looking at the baptized people at Assemblies, the vast majority are kids raised as jws.

• unique1
    unique1
    didn't feel like I was 'serving' anyone, it felt like I was imposing my religion on other people

I felt the same way. I didn't realize it until I had a preacher come to my house to invite me to the local baptist church. Then I realized what it felt like to be a householder. I was irritated by his presence while I was trying to cook dinner. Then I realized I was doing the same thing to others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit