And You JW Wives Thought the Organization Was Too Repressive....Read This !

by xjw_b12 25 Replies latest social current

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

We have all read many posts here as to how women felt they had to be submissive in the organization.

How would you like to be a member of First Christian Fellowship for Eternal Sovereignty?

RAVENNA, Ohio - A woman pulled over for breast-feeding her baby while driving on the Ohio Turnpike was shown on videotape at her trial Wednesday refusing to cooperate with troopers until she called her husband for permission.

Catherine Nicole Donkers, 29, also would not stand or speak as she defended herself in Portage County Municipal Court until her husband gave her permission from the first row of the audience.

The first day ended with Donkers finishing her questioning of the trooper. The trial was expected to continue Thursday.

Judge Donald Martell dismissed a request earlier Wednesday by Donkers' husband, Brad Lee Barnhill, to stand in for her at the trial.

"I don't see why I'm not in there," Barnhill said during a break. "I directed her to do everything she did that day ... Under our faith, she obeys me."

Barnhill requested that he be prosecuted on several misdemeanor charges because his religious belief is that he is the only one who can punish his wife.

Donkers cried as she watched the two-hour police cruiser video of Trooper Adam Doles following her for several miles with siren and lights going before she stopped at a toll booth.

Donkers said she did not pull over right away because she was looking for a safe place to stop. The tape showed Doles saying to Donkers, "You've got a baby in your lap. You know how unsafe that is?"

Donkers, still clutching her 7-month-old girl, refused to hand over her driver's license and get out of her car until calling her husband. Once he gave the OK, she turned over a homemade identification card.

The couple belongs to the First Christian Fellowship for Eternal Sovereignty, a religious group that has a history of challenging state laws.

The organization was founded in Henderson, Nev., in the 1990s. It pledges allegiance to Jesus Christ and at times takes a dim view of the federal government. Barnhill says he is a minister in the fellowship with 650 followers.

The judge appeared frustrated then amused by Donkers, who refused her appointed public defender. Donkers read a list of witnesses she planned to call, including Barnhill and her mother. Later she said she left a key witness off the list: the state of Ohio.

"I'm not sure we have room in the hallway," Martell said with a laugh.

The prosecution's first witness, truck driver George Barrett of Syracuse, N.Y., said he called 911 on May 8 to report seeing a woman driving with a baby on her lap.

"I could not believe what I saw," Barrett said.

Over repeated objections by prosecutors, Donkers suggested while questioning Barrett that he had broken the law by reporting her because he didn't know the details of Ohio's seat belt laws.

Donkers also questioned Barrett's memory, saying his testimony about the make of her car and license plate number were incorrect.

During a recess, Barrett said he was watching out for the baby.

"I've seen too many body bags. I've seen too many white sheets," he said.

Donkers is charged with misdemeanor counts of child endangering, failure to comply with the order of a police officer, driving without a license and several other driving infractions. She acknowledges breast-feeding while driving and says she did nothing wrong.

In court filings, the couple says neither has a Social Security number, they think it's wrong to be required to have driver's licenses and they do not have a marriage license, although they say they are husband and wife.

Barnhill said the couple was living temporarily in Pittsburgh for work, but Donkers was a resident of Michigan when arrested.

Michigan and Ohio require children under age 4 to be in child-restraint systems while traveling in cars, but Michigan excludes children being nursed.

Barnhill said Michigan's exclusion should mean Donkers was stopped improperly.

A conviction for misdemeanor child endangering carries maximum penalties of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

• Scully
    Scully

How on earth could she drive AND breastfeed her baby at the same time?

So now this guy's got "freedom of religion" to abuse his wife?

Love, Scully

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

This is on the local news; again.

The news people reporting look like they are biting their lip....they look like they want to scream at the camera:

"You Stupid, Phucking Woman. You are Setting Back Womens Rights by at Least 1 century."

Or, perhaps that was me screaming at the TV as I watched it....

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Stupid woman. and what the hell was she nursing a 7 month old while driving. How did she do that.

She should be thrown in jail, firstly, for being stupid and secondly, for having to listen and obey her husband. Boy those husband's have it made in that religion, submissive wifes at their beck and call.

• Panda
    Panda

ARRRGGGHHH Where was this womann raised? How could she endanger her child in this way? Why not pull over and nurse the baby. I mean the way she did this she may as well bottle feed OR are breast pumps against her religion? Is child safety against her religion? Oh I see a patriarchal religion.. men are better and smarter than women ...

So no SS#? yet he's working? HMMM breaking somemore laws because it is convenient for him, arshole So if I feel like shooting these people (even though it's against the law) if my religion allows it then it's okay.

If Mrs.Arshole had gotten in an accident and the baby died (oh I'm being stupid, she'd just breed again. )

M A UL D = Mothers Against Un-Licensed Drivers

W A M O = Women Against Mysogynistic Organizations

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

poor woman. i genuinely feel sorry for her. sounds like the product of an awful environment.,

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I say, sure, let him take her place -- in the women's prison. My, wouldn't they have fun with him once he starts spouting off with his Neanderthal philosophies?

Nina

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Drive..baby cries....feed..or....drive..... or....feed....or.....drive.............AND Feed....Drive.....feed...pulled over! She's freakin' igiot, and a very sad state of affairs esp. for the 7 month baby girl.......Visit Smiley Central!

• sxybrwneyes
    sxybrwneyes

wow, unbelievable. And I thought we had it bad.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

What a silly woman, but how sad that more than likely she has been brainwashed into believing that she is doing the right thing. I would bet my last dollar that with a husband that has this much control over her, she is more afraid of him than the state, or the judge she is in front of.

Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit