How much do you think the internet has hurt JW growth?

by HereIgo 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Slimboyfat, great post because you hit the nail on the head. Their retention sucks and I've noticed that if your in a congregation with lots of social people doing lots of things it may work out better for the cult at keeping ones in longer. But in all reality a lot of congregations have little going on members are not that friendly lots of cliques etc. Those congregations chase their members away .

cults truly have to keep their members in a vacuum or they lose them. Your going to hear more and more the cult telling its members not to watch tv go on the internet look at any info etc.

• Chook
    Chook

I think the wt is doing fine crucifying itself with its digital platform, then delivered to the world via the internet. Look at the convention part on the denial of 1975 propaganda, then a apostate relays the same movie but with the real wt quotes which were applicable to the movie script. History literally has them fuc...

• freddo
    freddo

I liken it to the gears of a car.

1st Gear: Up until the mid-2000s the internet was only available on the family PC or the worker with their laptop and internet access. Also WT was very scathing of the internet and gave it a red light.

2nd Gear: Mid-2000's onwards Smartphones and tablets became increasingly available and surfing the net in privacy became much more easy to all family members. WT gave an amber light to limited use of the internet by going on line itself.

3rd Gear: We've shifted into this gear with pre-teens and poorer countries getting smart technology. JWborg is in full flow with the internet being embraced with a tacit green light. JWTV is out there in all its awful parody/glory. Everyone from 9 to 90 is being encouraged to go on line to receive JW litter-ature. Trolley-Dolleys encourage the public to check out JWborg. (What else will they check?)

Result? Increasing concern, apathy, disbelief, quiet rebellion and out and out apostasy. In the field only the mentally ill come in and only the born-in kids get baptised.

• steve2
    steve2

The fall off in zeal has occurred so very quietly over more recent decades that Witnesses as a whole neither care nor notice it.

But when you stand back from the steady attrition, you really notice it.

That's why some of what we're observing isn't that noticeable when you're caught up in it.

You need distance to notice the decreased zeal - just like an aerial view shows up more interesting patterns on the ground than the actual ground view.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Information is the Watchtower corporation's worst enemy as they thrive on fairytale interpretations of

reality.

Therefore I here by proclaim: Woe woe to the Watchtower Corporation at the arrival of the instantaneous

information by a type writer key

from the Noosphere

https://www.bing.com/search?q=noosphere&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=1374c04469fd41f2b523d399a5acc8d0&sp=5&qs=SC&pq=noonsphrer&sk=SC4&sc=8-10&cvid=1374c04469fd41f2b523d399a5acc8d0&cc=US&setlang=en-US

The noosphere is the sphere of human thought. The word derives from the Greek νοῦς (nous "mind") and σφαῖρα (sphaira "sphere"), in lexical analogy to "atmosphere" and "biosphere". It was introduced by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin in 1922 in his Cosmogenesis.

• Akid48
    Akid48

When I go to the Kingdom Hall for my meetings it is empty half the people there used to be.

A lot of people left form looking online.in my Kingdom Hall

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I know the internet hurt my own personal JW growth - oh it hurt...it hurt so gooood.

• mrmagic
    mrmagic

Freddo

Hi there. In reply to your question about my using the Internet for exposing WTBS. This is what I call Field Service 2.0

So basically you can reach a lot of people in a short amount of time by mass emails. You want to be sure not to spam and such. A well written "Public Service Announcement" letter sent once does the trick.

1. Email hunter - https://hunter.io/ this program lets you get all emails associated with a website/organization. Great for reaching child abuse orgs, nonprofits, governmental agencies, attorneys, police detectives and all their key people about JW child sex abuse problem. You can use it directly from your browser to snag the email addresses and if you pay for it, it will export them in Excel and you can pull it directly into your Gmail account with a few mouse clicks for convenience.

2. Mailtracker - https://mailtrack.io/en/ track your emails and opening rates. If you're sending 500 emails and you get 347 openings, you're doing good. On the other hand, if you've sent 500 emails and only 1 or 2 were opened, then it's time to back track and see what happened. Not all emails will work and not all websites have emails. Some sites hide their email addresses better than others.

3. Gmass - https://www.gmass.co/ Mass email, mail merge, and auto followup for gmail and inbox. You can time your mass mailings, especially since Gmail has a daily limit of the amount of emails you can send out per day.

4. Find Email addresses from physical address http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/[email protected]

Btw, this is also useful for job/career hunting. (You can use email hunter to get the email address of key contact people in any business you're interested in working for or doing business with)

You can also use it to defend/protect yourself as a consumer, whenever you aren't treated fairly in the course of a business transaction/product/service purchase. Can't tell you how many times I've had to use this to get past the automated customer service machines and/or Third World call centers.

• steve2
    steve2

Mass emailing is not advisable. If I get emails from addressees I do not know, I immediately delete.

How is the recipient to know whether virus or spam?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Of course the internet has hurt growth, remember when the internet first caught on and at the meetings they used to admonish the brothers and sisters to stay away from it? Why do you think they did that?

But to show you their hypocrisy, they had a website back then . . just goes to show you what a cult is all about

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit